woke up this morning and turned the key in my dart and nothing happened

-

dodgescatpack

Reaction score
i woke up this to go take my dart out and when i went to turn the key nothing happened all my gauges work and all my lights work anyone out there had this problem before ?
neal

Put yor key in the start position and move your shifter back and forth. If its the neutral safety switch, that might work. try and tap on the starter, I usually use a long extension and a hammer. Also check the condition of your battery connections and cables. There are many possibilities but those are the simple things to start with. i live in florissant, if you start having serious problems I can try to help.

If it ain't the neutral safety the most common problem is the battery posts and clamps are dirty. You'll still get enough power through for lights and guages but not enough amperage to even click the starter. Also if you're using the battery post connectors that also have a clamp to squeeze the positive cable check to make sure that the end olf the cable doesn't have the same oxide crud build up preventing full amps to the starter. :evil2:

Hope this helps

devildart said:
Put yor key in the start position and move your shifter back and forth. If its the neutral safety switch, that might work. try and tap on the starter, I usually use a long extension and a hammer. Also check the condition of your battery connections and cables. There are many possibilities but those are the simple things to start with. i live in florissant, if you start having serious problems I can try to help.

I agree with everything mentioned above. Just adding to the neutral safety switch diagnosis. If you look at your starter solenoid there should be a brown/yellow or maybe green wire. If you unplug that wire and make a small wire with female connector leading to a ground (meaning ground that connector where the brown/yellor or green wire used to be) that will bypass the neutral safety switch all together. If it is the switch it will crank/fire, if not, you'll still be where you are at now.
Also while your checking out the starter relay, go ahead and check all the connections there (remove and plug back in doesnt hurt). there is a wire there that will disable the starter there as well (good quick theft deterant as well :thumblef: ). It is a brown wire i believe...make sure thats nice and tight.

Then make sure, as mentioned the battery connections are tight at the battery, starter relay, and the starter itself..

If nothing suggested works, come 'on back and ill have to think on it some more. Next up would be the ignition switch, usually just doesnt go out overnight though i guess :salut:

demon seed said:
If it ain't the neutral safety the most common problem is the battery posts and clamps are dirty. You'll still get enough power through for lights and guages but not enough amperage to even click the starter. Also if you're using the battery post connectors that also have a clamp to squeeze the positive cable check to make sure that the end olf the cable doesn't have the same oxide crud build up preventing full amps to the starter. :evil2:

Hope this helps

Oh and if you have those clamp on post connectors with the two bolts...lose em. they don't hold up very well and tend to cause little issues like this. measure the length, go to your local parts place and atleast get a decent fully crimped setup or somethin :thumblef:

I had a fusable link blow on the power cable running to the starter on my 340 Duster years ago. It acted exactly the same way. If you can't give it a boost I would check this. There is a bulge in the wire which acts like a fuse that can burn out. You could see a split in the conduit on the wire and it appeared burnt.

go to the starter relay and jump the main hot terminal and the terminal that goes the starter solenoid. if it starts, then check the neutral safety switch by unplugging it on the starter relay and making a jumper from that terminal to ground. if it starts, you for sure have a bad neutral safety switch. if not, you may have a bad starter relay.

just to let every one know
i got it started and its running again it was a dead battery that would not let it start thanks to everyone for the help neal

I jusy started having this problem as well in both my '74 Duster and my "79 Magnum.
Doesn't the selonoid have 3 wires? Which one again?
I can start ethier car with running a screw driver across the starters wire connections with the key in the "on" position.
All componets are new except battery and wires to the starter.

The Dodge does need a replacement starter though. Sometimes it needs a hammer.

Well, I got it to work on thr Magnum. The Duster has yet to fail again to see if thats the problem.
Thanks Goody! Great call. I have never had one fail on me and totalllly missed, er X thar, forgot about it.

Ive got a starting problem with my 67 Dart.

The starter makes a really horrid sound. All the cables are new, battery terminals are new and good quality, starter solenoid is new.
It sounds like something in the starter is loose or something??

Anyone got any ideas??

-
Back