Wondering how many racers drive there cars to the track.

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dodge Dart GT with a 360 out of a 78 chrysler new stock cast crank, stock rods and bolts , speed pro hyper 4 valve relief pistons, comp xe284 hyd cam, mopar ductile rockers studed with crane adjusters (dont ask why I had to upgrade), ede heads mild port, ede air gap, 750 street hp dbl pumper, carter high flow mech pump, headman bomber headers, MSD PRO BILLET dist 16 base 34 total, msd 6al box, 727 2800 midwest converter, b&m mega shifter, 8 3/4 3.91 richmond gears.

Wondering what is the BEST/Cheapest way to be able to drive to the strip (which is about 1.5 hours away).

I have the stock 3.23 ring and pinion which would help the highway cruising (how bad would this drop my E/T?)

Buy a keisler auto or TKO 5 speed and pay for it with the gas savings.

Find a A-833 4speed and call up passon performance.

I have a jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0. Would it work to buy a car dolly?

Been awhile, how are you? I would think that should pull your Dart just fine on a car dolly. I drive my car to the track, 340, 4.10 gears, 73 mph all the way on the hwy, 1 hour each way! Gas mileage is pretty decent considering all the mods done to it. There is always the risk of breaking and having to get a tow, a trailer would be nice, just not in my budget yet.

Doing good how about yourself? What kind of rpm are you running at 73mph with 4.10. I would be at 4000 with my 3.91!

A 391 and a hour and a half drive is noting.Your jeep would pull it with the car dolly.Just make sure you pull the drive shaft out before you tow it anywhere. Jim

I drive mine to the track, I wouldn't call it a race car but last time I went it was an hr away w/ 4.10 gears buzzin 3800rpm down the freeway...

all gears are based on a 25'' tire, which is whats on the valiant.

your rpm may vary.

What should I use to plug the tranny? Junkyard yoke and some ductape

Only time you can dolly 'on rear tires' an auto car w/drive line is by leaving it running while in neutral so it still pumps and doesn't burn it up.fwiw

good to know.

So what do you guys bring to the track and where do you put it once your there (if you drive it to the track).

Spare parts, tools, slicks, AAA card haha

I have a 68 Cuda 383 4 speed Dana 60 4.56 gears. i use a tow bar and flat tow it with my 82 D150. I put all my tools and compressor etc in the back of the truck. Works well. Mind you I only live 10 minutes from the track.

1966 a-body 833 stock trans, Centerforce II clutch and pressure plate, 10.5 stock aluminum bellhousing and stock 10.5 flywheel.

1966 a-body 833 stock trans, Centerforce II clutch and pressure plate, 10.5 stock aluminum bellhousing and stock 10.5 flywheel.

A little jealous! I have read a little on the passon 4 speed they want 3000 for the total kit and 1900 for the overdrive upgrade (and 18 spline main shaft).

How much HP are you throwing at your stock 23 spline trans?

I have a 12 sec Hardtop (Dart) 360 /727 with 3.9 gears
Local track is 45 mins away drive there change wheels race change back drive home.

Have a couple of other tracks I go to for special events 2.5 / 3 hours away one way. Drive to those as well.

Picture 044.jpg

in the past i have just pulled the driveshaft off of the rear and wired it up to the floor pan, was to cheap to buy another yoke i guess...

3.91 gear isnt bad with 29 inch tall tires and drop them and run 26 inch slicks at the track.

I drove my dart to Quarter Aces Dragway and won the KING of the track race and trailer it to Mason Dixon Dragway and won the KING of the track race. i drove it to Quarter Aces and lost in the final of the National Dragster challenge and then trailered it to Mason Dixon Dragway and lost in the final of the National Dragster Challenge. it has been running really good . Bradley

l_957e65d35cce41f3a16f9f625f62305e.jpg

l_1a7330f45a4d4e97b44b0d726657f87c.jpg

l_44012fe922f34982a1d6badb7dc1e499.jpg

That's a sweet looking ride roadrunnerreds.
What kind of times does she run?
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

I live less than an hour from Island Dragway and Englishtown Raceway. The compromise is running 3.55s. If I stay under 70, I can drive all day without problems. A trailer would be nice but dont have one (or a truck strong enough to pull it). If I did, I would be running 3.91 or even 4.10s. The motor is a pretty mild 340/416 and 4 speed. It would go a bit quicker with the steeper gears but its really a street car and it still dips into the 12's and thats fine by me. As long as I can get home without a tow truck I'm happy.

Island%2010-09a.jpg

I'm always wondering the same thing. My plan is for a 4.10 gear. I live 80 miles from Englishtown and have to navigate the LIE, S.I. Expwy, NJ Tpke and route 18 to get to the track. I'm hoping to run 12s and drive it home without breakage, that would be an expensive tow back to Suffolk County!!

I have a Jeep with a 4.0 too, I often wonder how it would do with trailering my car. Per the owner's manual gross trailer weight is 5,000 lbs. I already have a class 3 hitch. Bare-bones aluminum trailers seem to weigh somewhere between 1,400-1,500 lbs depending on how they're equipped. That would be just under the limit.

-
Back