wondering why I am shifting head gaskets

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
Tim you jinxed me again . just before surgery I had to take the cuda out for 1 more rush
thing was running gr8 went out did a few smoke runs , came back went threw town and hit a stop light . Some guy came up next to me in a newer camero and wanted to try it . so we agreed on the GREEN to the quik trip sign . It was 1 hell of a race but some where at shifting to 3rd or at the finish I got a puff of smoke , But did get him by a fender . This is the 2nd time this year . The first time was to much timing , I put a new chip in for 6200 , butits lighted
to shift at 5800 giving me the split second to shift . I know I caught it at 5800, never got near the rev limiter , but I got a puff of smoke out my , right bank this time . No clatter or pop just a poof of smoke at higher rpms on the way home 1 mile ,so I babied it but did do some reving to see where it was smoking at on the tach , 4500 it seemed to puff harder its . I had to have surgery the next morning , so haven't done any compression testing yet ,but I know 90% its the head gasket again . will know more this weekend . I have RHS X HEADS and using felpro gaskets I have 175 psi on all cylinders give or take 3 psi on a 71 L A block , and just wonderd if any 1 else has this problem with RHS heads and pushing the gaskets over the ledge into splashing oil , oblonging the gaskets . we torked them to 90 psi on the head bolts when we rebuilt it . different gaskets?? or just pushing it to hard ?? we had it timed at 34*
any input from similar expeiriance would be appreciated . Glad to be back ,been a bad short summer here . Hope your all safe out there . HAGR81 ALL Winstoninwisc.

Are you using OEM head bolts or new ARP head bolts....I have always torque small blocks down to 105 ft lbs....

well they were new but this is 2nd time , next time would be 3rd this summer
I was really hoping you were on tonight. felpro ok go a little more tourque up to 105 next time ? what gaskets are you using?? any sense to go cometic ??

We had some Felpro 1008's push out on a 408 with W2 heads. He had an advance issue with the distributor. Once that was addressed there has never been a reoccurrence of the pushed out gasket, 6 years later, still strong.

I've been revving my 367 to 7000/7200 for over 10 years on used Felpros, at 10.76Scr and 170psi. I think they are on the 3rd go-round. ARP bolts, on Eddies,@105#s . Power-timing is 32 to 34 degrees at 3400rpm. I run 87E10
I wonder if you are getting into some unusual combustion pressures with preignition.

Hey brother was up? you know I almost put the 5800 in , But it should have been ok
aar says next time go 105 psi on them . if I can get it Ill go for it or strip the ***** blowing it up
got a 360 mag in my sons old truck sitting so thinking of building that over winter if things get turned around here .
I just have to do a little research on trans matching and would like to stay carbureted . I know **** about fuel injection and computers . It still runs strong but smoking hard when I get it in the 4500 range , no sence blowing it up over a $50.00 head gasket and intake set . I"ll know more next week , recouping from minor back sugery if there is such a thing . scary letting any 1 touch my engine let alone my spinal cord .
my old 340 I could buzz 7200 and never blew anything but tires mustangs and chevies off. this is a nice tourquey cam but low rmp max, probably quicker , but not faster . it"ll be ok I think , Just pull the intake and head next week . But ido agree I will use the 5800 from here out I think , just to stay on the safeside .
hey glad you chimed in its been a while for me . hope all is good on your end.
I"ll beon a little more often again soon . till then HAGR81 BRO

Yah Aj that's what happened the first time , so I backed it off 2 degrees , but that 2 made a huge diff. but cost me a rebuild , hope its all I did , but willtake tourque to 105 if it will hold it . Thanks for chiming in brother hagr812
more info to come ,more info will be needed always

Glad to hear the back surgery went good? I fight a lower back pain all the time for years now.

man people just don't know back pain until there down in a bed for weeks . Last sunday night I went to our local dirt track , Angel Park Speedway to see the world of out laws , dam it was nasty fast , broke the track record twice that night got down into the 11s,
But any ways I was pushing a guy in a wheelchair didn't help my back any , that was paralyzed in his legs from accident , but his mind state is amazing , and we were in the handy capp section , and some of the stories about people who lost a leg , arm or eye , made me feel like I got no problems . He even came in my house and pulled himself thru my house just to check it all out + he details interiors in cars WOW !!
while I am at it ,I want to give a big SHOUT OUT TO " BRIAN CLAUSON " who was killed in a midget accident at the Bellville nationals 2 weeks ago. WE WILL MISS YOU BRIAN ==== YOU ROCKED US . people please sign the DONAR part of your drivers license Pass your life on to save a few more . GIVE TOLIVE . CHECK OUT
BRIAN CLAUSON ON YOUR WEB PLEASE . BRIAN LIVED TO RACED AND DIED RACING go check out his stats it will blow you away !! thanks all Winstoninwisc
HAGR812 ALL

Tragick man did you see the wholeflip before he got hit . He was another 1 Home grown out a Angel Park Speedway I met him a few times what an awsome and funny guy he was sign your Donar card . look at nascar how many people come from wisc.
If they don't have a Angel Park Speedway Trophy they aint no 1 yet watch out for rico abru , bell,jones, allgier, brad sweet , yeallies having a tough time but gets paid well from Joe Gibbs ,,tony ,jeff gordo, Larson is a wild man, kenseth , Stan fox now dead We grow the best racers here . But we all race our own cars weather its against some 1 or on a back road and chit happens
so sign that card , and help pass it on . FOR BRIAN

Did your machinist,check the block deck straightness,to within .001" -003",across both banks? Head gaskets? How hot is it,in Wisconsin? Still sounds ,like a timing \cylinder pressure \ possibility of hot weather ,issues combination...

well they were new but this is 2nd time , next time would be 3rd this summer
I was really hoping you were on tonight. felpro ok go a little more tourque up to 105 next time ? what gaskets are you using?? any sense to go cometic ??
hi, is deck true? how about the heads?? also, do you use oil on head bolts or moly lube? I found years ago, over tightening head bolts caused block distortion, gaskets leaked worse. I use 85 # with moly lube on my small blocks, never had gasket issues. on my 340, I torque to 80 # with moly lube. moly lube will give you more clamping force with out distorting deck, according to ARP. things to consider. btw , this is using felpro 1008 or 8553 gaskets.

Are all your head bolts and threads in the block clean??? Chase them with taps and dies before assembling to get proper torque and clamp load...

Can you put up a pic of the gasket? It would be interesting to see how it's being pushed around.

Winston you must have other problems like mentioned above rpm's is not your problem .when I torque heads I do it then wait overnight and retorque in the morning usually get a half turn or more .the felpro 1008 should be more then enough gasket for your build .

just an update , Tore top down , sure enough slid # 8 no other damage found that the mopar gods . got to go pick up new 1ns 12 ;30 will try for 105 lbs this time
Thanks for the info aar and aj tourqing roller rockers at 25 sound right ? 1.5 compcams
hope to be on tonight earley for a minute
thanks all hagr81 winstoninwisc going to try to set timing at 34 * at 3400 instead of 2400

-
Back