wont idle in gear

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys. ive got a few threads going on my tuning adventure. but right now im having trouble with just getting it to idle in gear. today i got it to idle fine when i would pull up to a light. then i jumped on the freeway and when i got off it was stumbling and wanting to die. i tried checking for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner but can get any results. i sprayed it all alound the base of the carb to see if i had a leak there, i also sprayed around the plugs in the intake and nothing. lastly i sprayed where the intake meets the head and nothing. i noticed sometime when i come to a stop the idle stays a little high for a second. and if i tap the gas pedal i can usually get it to go down.

As far as vacuum leaks go... check the power brake booster if equipped, vacuum advance unit, anything where there's vacuum. Propane is a less messy way to check.
If it has points, check their condition and gap, any oil on them? Mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms operate smoothly?
Just a few places to start.

Has it backfired thru the carb at any point? Power valve could be blown. Float levels to high/low. Return springs not tight enough/linkage binding.

is it possible you have an advance weight hanging up,keeping your timing over advanced when you come to a stop ?

it hasnt backfired yet. i will have to check the timing. my dad was messing with it and i dont know what he ended up setting it at.i put clear plugs in my float bowls yesterday. i could see gas in the front one while it was running, but i could only see it in the rear one if i shook the car, so i raised the rear one a half turn. i put those lighter advance springs in my distributor, was that a mistake maybe?

-
Back