Won't shut off

-

Cuda 1964

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 64cuda that as of today can't shut motor off with key. It will start with the key but when I turn the key to off position it keeps running have to pull coil wire to shut down. Could it be the ignition switch, starter relay? Any help to point me in the right direction would really be appreciated. Thanks

While running with key off, remove the connector from the ballast resistor.
I would remove the brown and blue connector.
If that kills it, then power is coming from the ignition run circuit (J2). That should only be powered with the key switch in run position.
If that doesn't kill it, then power is coming through the brown ignition-start wire.

1688510071346.png

With battery disconnected. remove the connector from the key switch.
Test the connections from the power in terminal (usually marked B or Batt) to the other terminals with the key off.

If that's not the problem, look for cross wire shorts.
Any of the wires connected to the battery positve are hot. The R6 wire for example could be touching the J2 circuit some place along the valve cover.

Thanks mopar head I was thinking the same it is pulling juice in off position so battery cables are unhooked

Maybe, but Mattox gave you a good diagnosis plan above you might try first.
In dash switches at least my 67 did a weird thing one time, I was trying to tighten the bezel and it wasn`t perfectly straight up and down. I started it and didn`t notice that the starter was still engaged until I kicked down the choke. Oh ****! lol

If you have an electric fan without a relay, the fan coasting when the key is off could act like a generator and put power back into the electrical system. I've seen it happen more than once.

Last edited:
OK I took fuse out of power supply to fan started it up and turned key off still running went and unplugged blue brown wire to resistor and motor shut off

While running with key off, remove the connector from the ballast resistor.
I would remove the brown and blue connector.
If that kills it, then power is coming from the ignition run circuit (J2). That should only be powered with the key switch in run position.
If that doesn't kill it, then power is coming through the brown ignition-start wire.

View attachment 1716110460

With battery disconnected. remove the connector from the key switch.
Test the connections from the power in terminal (usually marked B or Batt) to the other terminals with the key off.

If that's not the problem, look for cross wire shorts.
Any of the wires connected to the battery positve are hot. The R6 wire for example could be touching the J2 circuit some place along the valve cover.
Found the problem hot wire crossed with ballast wire feeding it power thanks for the help

-
Back