wont start

-

lightweight

Reaction score
I switched from a automatic 904 in my 68 dart, to a abody a833 4 speed. I got it all back together, except I have'nt hooked up the wire to the reverse lights yet. My problem is it won't start now, do I need to hook up the single wire neutral safty wire that was on the 904. I did'nt think a 4 speed needed a neutral safety. Or do the reverse wires need to be hooked up.????? The car started and ran before the trans swap. I turn the key on and I have power to everything just no fire. It does'nt turn over nor does it try.

sounds like the starter relay is not grounded. there should be a yellow wire coming off the relay that needs to see a ground. can you jump it at the relay? i dont know what we are working on here, but i think you can just take a jumper across the old NSS and it should start

The starter relay for the 4 speed car was different. Since you have the starter relay for a automatic car, just ground the wire that went to the neutral safety switch.

I would use a short pice of wire to ground that relay terminal at the relay rather than attaching to a screw under the car but either way works.

Is that the factory wiring? I would have thought they would have a neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal and maybe the gear selector. I hope nobody finds you pressed against the garage wall someday when working under the hood. My 74 Honda motorcycle had none. If you pressed the starter button with the clutch out, it would jump forward. Maybe an advantage if stalled on railroad tracks with a train coming.

Awesome put in a jump wire started right up. Thanks. Starter has a bad high pitch noise when starting though. I may have to find a way to shim it.

Is that the factory wiring? I would have thought they would have a neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal and maybe the gear selector..

Those didn't come out until '70. Many of us wasted no time in disconnecting them.

My 70 sixpack RR had to be in reverse before you could lock the column, and you had to depress the clutch to start. But there was no "safety" about having the 4 spd in gear.

-
Back