Woo Hoo! Still scores to be had! 72 340 Demon

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't believe it! Just bought a Gunmetal Gray 340 auto Demon for $350.00!

I have no pics until I bring it home but found it on craigslist in Seattle.

Orig 340 w/o valvecovers,intake/carb. is rusted but maybe good core. Auto on floor. Near perfect black dash pad. Perfect tailights, rear bumper w/ bumperettes. Only rust is on drivers floor (about a dime size at gas pedal) and a small bit in the spare tire well. has the center scoop hood (missing the scoop) but has the orig holes with rubber. perfect glass. I could go on and on.
The guy I bought if from bought it in the Seattle area for $300 about 6 months ago. He took the cherry black factory buckets,the front sheetmetal (less the hood),grille, the front discs and sold the 323 suregrip rear axle assy out of it. I get the rest.

He has no paperwork -he gave me a bill of sale. I hate to part this out but I don't see a way to get the paper work at this point. Any Ideas?

Broadway title. In Ct you dont even need a title if the car is 10 years or older.

So the guy you bought it from parted a pretty good sounding 340 demon for parts?? Such a shame.Maybe you or somebody can do something with it.

I would take a shot at getting it titled. Be careful you don't want to do much till you have paper work. I bought a parts car once PO said I could have title once loan was paid I think he had like 3 payments or something. i put a rear under it and adjusted the clutch and added a carb and distributor and had a car with a bad motor and a bad clutch running like new. He was so mad I got it running so easily he refused to release the title unless I paid him more money. I said forget it and parted it. Since it's a 340 car it would be worth trying to get it titled IMO.

True- fairly worthless without pics but, I bought it sight unseen except for the pics on craigslist.
Had a buddy go up to verify the car and paid for it in full.
I need to go over it to see if it was wrecked and decide from there. Thanks as always guys for the info for a title. I'll post pics when it's in my shop. Hopefully tomorrow.

So the guy you bought it from parted a pretty good sounding 340 demon for parts?? Such a shame.Maybe you or somebody can do something with it.

Yellow, yeah, he just had intentions of getting what he wanted for his Demon that he has and PARTING the car. My buddy and I said screw that and just asked him what he wanted for the whole thing. he still had people wanting the tailpanel, the engine, floors, etc. he called all of them back and told them that he decided to sell the car whole instead.
I think that he figured- hey, good prices for the parts he needs and never once figured on getting a title for it. My buddy tells me that it's a loaded fender tag. I'll post what all it has/had when I drag it home. I have to give 340 plot his cat back!

I was told about that one but I was on vacation up north, good score for you!

Thanks Res1vw21- I hate to get into peoples "backyards" so to speak. I couldn't let this one go though. I guess I'll have to pitch one your way from down here in Woodburn!

Got it home, It was seriously hacked together in the 80's. The left 1/4 was scabbed on under the factory seam with what looks like a stick welder, the floor pan on the drivers side is really buckled pretty bad. The left 1/4 window mounting holes are elongated to allow the window to fit. shame, the lower 1/4 is decent. The right 1/4 is good from the middle of the wheelwell back but absolute junk forward -(old school drill and pull out dents). front and rear frme rails are TILTED IN near the front of the left 1/4.
Deck lid is rotted out underneath. Hood skin is good but the underside is rusted out (BIG HOLES) I'm gonna either sell the hood as is with a parts hood or reskin the hood and save it to sell later.
The 340 looks to have thrown a rod (oil pan is bulged from inside out), J heads are rusted beyond belief. But hey- you get what you pay for!!

Sorry boys but this is getting cut up for parts- too much structural damage. I'll post pics later when it stops raining.

OK heres pics- we pulled the seized, broken engine out with the trans. Only thing that I pulled off the front was the hood. The drivers door is from a /6 car. check out the quality body work on the 1/4.
So, I'll be posting parts off this later.

Attachments

• demonrear.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 261
  • demonside.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 258
  • demon340side.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 340demonside.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 255
  • demonhood.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 225
Duster- Not like I wouldn't like to but I'm not sinking 20K into a 15K car at this point. Someone wants to buy the body then go for it . I'm gonna cut it up starting next weekend.

I might be intersted in the lower part of the 1/4 on the passanger side. Bassically from the stripe down behind the tire. And the tail panel. Shoot me a price and we can go from there. Thanks

Duster- Not like I wouldn't like to but I'm not sinking 20K into a 15K car at this point. Someone wants to buy the body then go for it . I'm gonna cut it up starting next weekend.

Not arguing with that fact. I been out of work for 2.5 years to focus on college and getting a degree. The sad fact is with the economy as soft as it is, almost none of us are going to be able to get our money back on these cars;unless it something crazy valuable. I'd make an offer if I were closer..

I am not a not one of numbers crazed Mopar guys but I have always wanted to restore a 340 car. About everything I have is a /6 or 318 car modded to taste...

One of the local guys has a factory '70 340 4 speed Duster in purple. He swears it's worth $20k+ put back together. It's been apart for close to twenty years and it's probably not going back together anytime soon. There is a lemon twist '71 340 car that is rotting away in a pasture that cannot be bought either. I'm not trying to save them all because I can't afford it, however one 340 car that could be fixed would be sweet.

-
Back