words used incorrectly in the car world

-
I have always hated the whole wheels and tires thing.

Last time I checked they were Rims and Tires

mo·tor
   [moh-ter] Show IPA

–noun
a comparatively small and powerful engine, especially an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

I get a laugh out the people who had cars that could do 160 mph with a 318 hemi....

"Restoration" was mentioned a couple times now, and that is my number 1 pet peeve, but how about "All Original" ?? I have yet so see one, although they do exist, where a car was bought, put away and never resurfaced until ??, having all of it's original fluids, air in the tires, absolutely nothing changed from the day it was delivered.

I am guilty of the "vert" comment, and I don't usually shorten anything, but with my "hunt and peck" method of typing, I sometimes take shortcuts!!!LOL!!! Oops, I mean "laughing out loud"!!! Now, lets git busy restorin' them Mopars to all original!!! Geof

mo·tor
   [moh-ter] Show IPA

–noun
a comparatively small and powerful engine, especially an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

Not the only word incorrectly defined, or redefined to suit today's language in today's dictionaries.

mo·tor
   [moh-ter] Show IPA

–noun

Er…no. Just because it's in a book doesn't mean it's correct, and in this case it ain't.

And yes, if I buy a NOS part it had better be in the original Mopar package with no signs of ever being installed.

when people refer to the axle housing as the "rear axle" ......the axles are the shafts inside of the housing.

engine is internal cumbustion.

Or external combustion (a steam engine, for example). It's tempting to say an engine converts linear force to rotative force, but that definition breaks if we look at Wankel rotary engines.

Engines and motors are both energy converters. Engines convert (chemical energy into) heat energy into kinetic energy, and motors convert electrical energy into kinetic energy.

The noun "motor" also refers to entire (motor)cars. Honda motor, Toyota Motor, Ford Motor, General Motors, American Motors, et al are so named because they build whole (motor)cars, not because they build engines.

“Motor” also refers to the auto industry in general, especially outside the U.S. What Americans call “auto shows”, most of the rest of the English-speaking world calls “motor shows”. What Americans call “the auto industry” is known elsewhere as “the motor trade” or “the motor industry”. Detroit is called “The Motor City” because (motor)cars come from there, not because they build engines there.

And don’t forget, drivers are also called motorists. Because they’re driving (motor)cars, not in reference to the engines that power those cars.

Things get slightly complicated when we consider boats with outboard or inboard motors, but not so complicated as to stymie anyone with brains; the term in this context refers to the entire propulsion unit, from the spark plug clear on down to the propeller (or at least its driveshaft). The part that most of us would identify as the “engine” is called, at least on an outboard, the powerhead. I’m not a boater, but in googling around for usage, it seems that when we remove the two primary parts of the inboard motor you have an engine and a transmission. Put ‘em back together again and you have an inboard motor again.

(Why yes, I do write for a living. Why do you ask?)

I'm completely the opposite, and here's why.

Let's take Spicer/ Dana for example. THE VERY SAME Spicer built "limited slip traction improving component" seems to have to have a different name if it's a Mopar, a Ferd, a Corn National Interbinder, or possibly a Studebaker or Jeep.

"Sure Grip" is NOT a technical name. It's a commercial buzz-word invented by Chrysler for their own product.

Do you really think your Fiat/ Chrysler has a "sure grip?"

I understand that, but even though they are all the same, its the branding. If it's a Chevy, it's a posi, if it's a Mopar, it is (or was, anyway) a Sure Grip. You wouldn't call a Torqueflite a Turbo hydromatic would you?

that Nawz or NOS term the import guys use for Nitrous, irritates me, Fast and Furious movies are proof that the writers dont know a thing about cars, making it look like its flamable. GEEZ.

Stock class at car shows is sometimes too loose, No your 57 Chevy did not come with Cragar's or that Grant wheel from the factory, that irritates me too

-
Back