Working late again

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My shift is 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. For the last month and a half I’ve been working till 10:00 pm or so. No end in sight as ppl are sick, don’t want to work or just plain lazy. Looks like I work tomorrow too. I’ve been neglecting a lot of things. Oh well it’s back to work I go. Anyone else working crazy hours? Kim

My shift is 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. For the last month and a half I’ve been working till 10:00 pm or so. No end in sight as ppl are sick, don’t want to work or just plain lazy. Looks like I work tomorrow too. I’ve been neglecting a lot of things. Oh well it’s back to work I go. Anyone else working crazy hours? Kim
I did when I was working, I can relate to the long hours. My last big run at work was 7 days a week for 3 weeks and 12 hour shifts. For over 20 years my work week was 50 - 70 hours a week. The money was good but as I got older I began to realize that money isn't more important than your family.

I just bet. 8am-3:30am? Yeah, I'd be tired too. I hope your work ethic is appreciated.

They wanted me to work Saturday. Which would be OT hours. Same as these were. They say they really admire my work ethic and dedication. Hopefully I’ll see some gratitude. Kim

They wanted me to work Saturday. Which would be OT hours. Same as these were. They say they really admire my work ethic and dedication. Hopefully I’ll see some gratitude. Kim
So they want you to go in 8am this morning after pulling 8am to 3am? muh huh

Work as much as you physically can as you never know when the OT will end. The trick is trying to save some of that OT money or putting it to good use
I cant begin to tell you how many times I got up at 5am,did some chores that needed doing or went food shopping than went to work and didn't get home until 5 pm the next day because we had some emergency job come up
Union Boilermakers who have to travel out of state, work seven 12 hr shifts a week, for months without a day off on outages, they live out of motel rooms, its not a easy life. I never had to do that because I had a steady job and for that simple reason I never complained about working long hours and with no days off
Two jobs, countless hours of OT, working seven days a week is why I now have what I do and how I educated my kids and paid for that and provided for my family and im dam proud of that
There is a saying that goes, I aint rich but I can eat steak seven nights a week. I think that just about sums it up

Kim, you are a victim / recipient of the new way and partially postcovidworld. I heard a statistic the other day where 80% of youth between 18 & 25 are not working and not looking either. Seems high, but it very well could be true. I have a hard time hiring anybody anymore. And we are always short people. Our youth have had it too easy. They are living at home and are content with waiting for whatever is left when mom and dad die. Unlike our generation and those previous, very few have the pride of earning their own way. Take it while you are able. We are getting up there and soon won’t be capable of working. I was going to say we wouldn’t fit the requirements for hiring, but the employers will eventually have little choice and be forced to change their policies.

Take it while you can. But don’t let it take you to the point of exhaustion.

Logged 122 hours this week. Between that and a mild case of insomnia, I’m pretty roasted. I could’ve worked more, but as mentioned before, I’m trying not to burn myself out.

You guys might be right regarding the younger generations in other industries, but in mine, guys in their 20s sometimes work even more than me. Once we get guys hired, they work their asses off. It’s finding good candidates is what the challenge is.

Just like the young fella installing my garage door this morning. Yes, on a Saturday but they are getting behind on residential installs. He has experience and hustle. Works construction, does garage door work on the side and helps this company out when needed. It is good to see.

There is no more govt money and yes there was a real pandemic were people were out of work, only a denier would believe otherwise. Now there is a lot of work available, unemployment is down and jobs are up, read the labor reports
I think saying todays youth are not wanting to work is to a generalised statement, I dont buy it
You had lazy people before the pandemic and lazy people after the pandemic, nothing changes

He said he is not lazy, "BUT please JOE pay off my $80,000 student loan like you promised. Or I will hold my breathe till I turn blue, and stay home and watch The View till I getthat $150,000 a year job at Starbucks!" :poke:
:thumbsup::BangHead:
Let's not go in that direction with the thread. Talking like that can get posts deleted.

Work as much as you physically can as you never know when the OT will end. The trick is trying to save some of that OT money or putting it to good use
I cant begin to tell you how many times I got up at 5am,did some chores that needed doing or went food shopping than went to work and didn't get home until 5 pm the next day because we had some emergency job come up
Union Boilermakers who have to travel out of state, work seven 12 hr shifts a week, for months without a day off on outages, they live out of motel rooms, its not a easy life. I never had to do that because I had a steady job and for that simple reason I never complained about working long hours and with no days off
Two jobs, countless hours of OT, working seven days a week is why I now have what I do and how I educated my kids and paid for that and provided for my family and im dam proud of that
There is a saying that goes, I aint rich but I can eat steak seven nights a week. I think that just about sums it up
And don't forget that your social security benefits are based on what you make. I thank God for providing me with a good paying job all those years. Steve welder, I couldn't have said it any better.

I worked in agriculture my whole life and it is a 50/70 hour a week job about 8 months a year. It didn't hurt me and I retired late in life about 6 months ago. Now I really enjoy my time and no more stress. As the sales Manager for our company, I was responsible for screening, hiring and training the next generation of young sales engineers. Five of my hires/trainees are still with the company including a couple degreed mechanical engineers and the current president of the company. All were young under 30 and a couple were straight out of college.
Further, I am blessed with five grandkids, two girls and three boys between 23 and 31 years old. All are self-sufficient and productive, they include three college graduates, one PHD post graduate and an army veteran with an unlimited CDL.
My point is we can't paint all young folks with the same brush. Young people will follow their role modeling and become what we encourage them to do "for the most part"! As adults it is our responsibility to show our youth the path.

All I can say is I hope @oldkimmer and @Righty Tighty Are getting paid overtime for everything over 40 hours. Let's see, if righty tighty worked 122 hours last week, that didn't leave too much time for sleep. You guys better take it easy. I heard on Fox News today that 10% of high school students said they don't ever plan to get a job!

The young guys run rampant over the boss’s. 1 guy is 22. He didn’t come to work for a week. Told the boss he was sick. He told his friends he didn’t want to work. They won’t fire him because we are short 30 workers. I guess a useless person is better than no worker. He whined to our boss that I never want to help him. He is a lazy kid that only wants to visit with other co workers. Not with me cause I tell him to get to work. I told the boss that he is lazy and visiting all the time and I’m not gonna help him. My boss said we have to work as a team. I told the boss that as far as I’m concerned he is not part holding up his end. Not just him though as the store is loaded with lazy ppl. Now the lazy kid has a week off cause if they don’t get their way they threaten to quit. I say let them quit. Kim

Last edited:
When I was first hired it was a full time. 28 hours a week. So I worked 3 days a week. Then 4. The. 5. NoW I can work all the overtime I want. I really don’t want to work OT but ppl are off sick or days off. Kim

All I can say, is if you’re not in the workforce today, you probably don’t understand. Say it however you like. I say it as I see it.

I can say I really love my job. It bothers me if a product is not on the shelf. My ocd is out of control as every thing has to be just so. I take great pride in my work. As for ppl that may not know I work at Walmart in the dairy, cooler, freezer, produce and bakery. Kim

All I can say is I hope @oldkimmer and @Righty Tighty Are getting paid overtime for everything over 40 hours. Let's see, if righty tighty worked 122 hours last week, that didn't leave too much time for sleep. You guys better take it easy. I heard on Fox News today that 10% of high school students said they don't ever plan to get a job!
Thanks. We work 24 hour shifts, so it’s easy to rack up the hours quickly. We’re allowed to sleep during certain hours, but where I’m at is very busy, so down time is minimal (even at night). We do get overtime after 40, thankfully.

I miss my dogs!!

-
Back