Worst engines ever.

-
haven't heard Mazda named yet. i had a RX-4, their second gen wanker motor. that thing was wicked fast for a japanese car at the time. the motor only had like 2 moving parts total, and they STILL blew up. i got quite good at changing those motors since i had to do it about every 10k miles.

Let's not forget the Chrysler sludge motors, LHS, 300M, Concorde, etc. 2.7 or 3.5 if memory serves. Run a search in your local Craigslist. There are usually a ton with "needs motor" in ads.

It's the 2.7L that has the problems, the 3.2L and 3.5L are OK. Also came in the Stratus/Sebring platform. I've bought LH's with blown 2.7's and converted them to 3.2. The 3.2 is 1/4 to 1/3 the price. Easy swap, too. :-D

It may not have held together real well under a high hp application but they weren't bad engines. I had a 72 Grand Prix that ran 13.90's consistently with a mild low comp. 400. I spun it to 5400 regular and never had a problem with it coming apart. It was built right though. Arp rod and main bolts and everything re-sized. That helps a bunch.

Hmmmmm........ I shoulda said, later 70's, LOL. The first 400's were short stroke, good ones. BUt then again, hell, since I feel like starting ****.

Heres the truth.

I CANT STAND Mopar 360's, don't like them, cant convince me to ever like them. Sure, they make power, sure they can be built, BUT, if you take a 250HP 318, and a 250HP 360, hold them full load at 5K, the 360 will blow up first every time. I mean, sure, they are "good" motors, but it's too "chevy small block"ish on the reliability for me....

Next, the freaking 351W. Two deals in stock form. Real gutless, bad mileage, last forever, OR, moderate power, and a suprise blowup the first time you really need it.

Then, there is that 250-292 chevy with the one piece manifold. Great little seven main bearing engines, screwed up the top they did.

And while I am at it, any engine with them hyper pistons, tops come off, skirts come off, wrist pins come loose, but thats only after the bore starts to wear...:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

This should be fun. I love opinions.

Hmmmmm........ I shoulda said, later 70's, LOL. The first 400's were short stroke, good ones. BUt then again, hell, since I feel like starting ****.

Actually all Pontiac 326, 350, 389, and 400's had the same 3.75" stroke. In the late 70's Pontiac started using the POS 403 Olds engine in their T/A's. Maybe that's the one your thinking of? And btw even the real Pontiac 400's weren't nearly as durable as hardly any Mopar engine cause of the cast rods. I just meant I didn't think they were junk like some of the engines listed here. Just another opinion, LOL

Anybody remember the first VW Rabbit diesels from the 70's? Head gasket blowing POS. Lucky if you could get 20,000 miles out of them between head gasket changes.

Yeah, did some thinking, and its the 403 I was thinking of.......

And how could we forget the old VW diesels, having to dodge the slow little POS's every time one pulls out a mile ahead of you.

The end-all-be-all worst engine of all time................ the GM 60 degree V6, the 2.8 and all it's derivatives.

yeah, tell me about it, my sons Monte Carlo has a 3.3 in it, red head step child motor, no one cares about it and eveything for it is expensive, building a 350 for it as we speak

Had a 2.8 in a s-10 with 245,000 miles and ran great with a 5 speed

haven't heard Mazda named yet. i had a RX-4, their second gen wanker motor. that thing was wicked fast for a japanese car at the time. the motor only had like 2 moving parts total, and they STILL blew up. i got quite good at changing those motors since i had to do it about every 10k miles.

Wow, you're right, the early generation wenkle...er, I like your version, the wanker... engines. I think the only factory warranty on those things was as long as you were you still in the dealership parking lot. Once you got on the street you were on your own.

Yeah, did some thinking, and its the 403 I was thinking of.......

And how could we forget the old VW diesels, having to dodge the slow little POS's every time one pulls out a mile ahead of you.

My friends dad had one, step on the gas and all it did was blow a big smoke cloud before it decided to accelerate.

Wow, you're right, the early generation wenkle...er, I like your version, the wanker... engines. I think the only factory warranty on those things was as long as you were you still in the dealership parking lot. Once you got on the street you were on your own.
actually 3 moving parts - the 2 rotors and the eccentric shaft.

Any way, I will agree that at least the twin turbo 13b version from 93 to 95 seriously has to be THE most problematic and unreliable engine ever used in a production car. You'd be hard-press to find a 93-95 RX7 with the original motor - not because they were swapped for mor power, but because they all blew up. 2mm apex seals that just weren't up to the task of handling the extra pressure the turbos added.

For the record, I had a 93 RX7 and LOVED it - I would buy one again, but there is no deneying that motor, in stock form, is the WORST production engine of all time.

/thread

A friend has 2 of those old mazdas.Neither moves under its own power,lol...

-
Back