worst way to take a starter off

-

fanboatman

Mopar nut
Reaction score
I bought my demon in november and I just started working on it this weekend. I am planing to swap in a v8, but just wanted to see if the old /6 would run. I put a battery in and worke on getting fire to the plugs. I got fire and put a little gas in the carb and after a while of cranking it fired up and ran for about 4 seconds. I put some more gas in the carb and it ran for another 4-5 seconds. Then I out a little mor gas in and it ran for 6-7 seconds and boom! I looked at the starter and it was no longer bolted up, moved it out of the way and saw this. And yes that little black thing is one of the rod bolts.

demon1.jpg

And they say the /6 is "bulletproof". I guess it depends on the size of the bullet! Time to move ahead with the V8 plan.

Welcome to FABO! :cheers:

That sux. How many years was the engine sitting? Did you put any oil down the cylinders or prime the oil pump? I guess you will be swapping out the motor for sure now.

The motor had oil in it but I don't think it had pressure yet. I have never had an issue with motors that have sat. My '48 cj2a sat for 16 years and it had no problems, nor my dad's '68 land cruiser and it sat for 19 years. I think that it must have been knocking and that is why it got parked. It was last registered and inspected in '01. Now I get to do body work until I get money for a motor.

Number 5 rod no doubt. Every slant 6 I've seen come apart in the bottom end was the same.

I saw about the same thing.

Did this Valiant end up in the junkyard because of this..........

P1030655.jpg

or this ??

P1030659.jpg

I'm in se texas. I really want a 440 and have a lead on a guy who is suppose to have a couple, but haven't got to talk with him yet. My uncle has a '79 d250 with a 360 that I am trying to beat him out of because the truck is beat up and rusted out. Would that truck have a 727 in it? Would everything fit if I just got the conversion mounts?

so they do die.....eventually.....i tore a hole in the pan of one in my rowdy dyas, drove it for 20 miles or so, j-b snotted it and drove it for 20k more...

Remember replacing one out of an Aspen into my driver. Fresh fluids, head out to the highway, and threw a rod. Same one too. Fortunately everything got away from the crank, and I drove it home with almost no oil.

Can't kill those Slant 5's :)

Grant

Sold a guy a /6 because his was knocking. It had a hole in one piston, and another had a rod bolt in the bottom of the pan, with the other bolt bending, but still holding on, and still running. The piston was hitting the head from the slop in the bottom end. There was an impression of the combustion chamber in the top of the piston.

Another car I bought just made it home. The oil looked like silver paint, it had two spun rods, the top end looked like it was from a WW2 airplane sitting at the bottom of the ocean, and two valves were seized, with the push rods looking like those chiropractor pens they hand out. It still drove home, though.

I used to buzz my slants at 3000 rpm all day long on the highway.Of course they had oil in em...

-
Back