Worth the effort?

-
I would plug the power valves if you haven't and jet up about 8 sizes where you do plug them and I can almost guarentee she'll turn into a monster.
plug the primary side power valve and it may foul plugs and guzzle gas on the street. If the common denominator on all your engines has been the carburator and the all have performed poorly off the line, i would definitely try another one. May be something wrong with the current one that everyone is missing. BG carbs have been known to have metal chips, improperly machined passages, etc. Might be part of the reason they are out of business. Just a plain ole 4777 650 Holley DP would probably work great on there. 3310 750 VS would work well too and it's easy to find used ones cheap. I like DPs myself , even on mild street cars. I've got a 318 duster, stock except for a 650 DP , LD4B intake and headers. Even with a stock convertor and 2.45(ughh)rear gears, it will easily spin the 275 /60s from a stop with no bog. May not be the best carb for my setup but i already had it and the car is not going to stay in its current configuration for long. As far as your tranny question, can't really comment on the long term durability of a stock 904 in a mildly built street car. I just don't know. Most of my cars have been big blocks. If you get your car running better and you can still only get about 2500 flash stall, a switch to something in the 3500 range would probably give you a big boost. You might be able to get the stall changed on your current converter for a pretty reasonable cost. Call the company you got it from.

Part of this continued in another topic but to sum things up where I am at.

Borrowed a carb from the engine shop, a 750 Mighty Demon. Bog was still there not as bad but mid range and top end? WOW pulled so much harder. Pinging was still there dropped down from the stock autolite 65 plugs to 63 and its all good.

Currently decideing on a new carb as part of the problem -see quickfuel vs Mighty Demon- I think the 750 is where its at but the engine builder and Qickfuel say no.

Also the engine builder swears up and down the cam was degreed and not the issue and its "just the way the car is with that cam and gears" Talked to one guy who stopped in at the engine shop who runs his own place that highly recomends re-degreeing the cam. So looks like later on the front of the engine needs to be torn down.

If that goes no where then I'll look in 3.91 gears.

-
Back