Would like to see cooling combos that work

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Well, the Dart is getting a little hot, even on short drives when I'm not in traffic. Gets to about 220 after a while.

Right now I've got a 5.9 with the stock radiator, clutch fan, 165* stat, and a Milodon water pump.

I am interested in hearing about radiator/fan/whatever to cool this thing down.

Steve

I had a 3 row radiator w/shroud and thermo clutch fan w/6 blade pump and it always got hot especially in the drive thru or at the top of the off ramp.

I put an aluminum bmw 1 row radiator in it, lost the shroud and bolted on a 19'' flex fan and wahlah!!! runs cool all the time.

The cooling issue used to drive me crazy, but no more.

fan004.jpg

fan005.jpg

CIMG3408.jpg

CIMG3301.jpg

Never drive faster than your guardian angle can fly.
untitled.jpg

are you running that off of the stock electrical system, or did you modify it in some way?

Steve

My car runs 11.7@118 with the original 340. Compression has been bumped to 11.7 to 1. Valves are worked by a Crower solid roller cam.

My cooling system is stock….. Original radiator, Clutch fan, Shroud, 180 stat, Stock NAPA off the shelf, $35 water pump.

My car never gets hot.

You may be moving the coolant to fast. It needs time to absorb the heat and transfer it out in the radiator.

I would stick in a 180 stat, Stock water pump, and get a fan shroud if you don't have one. Having a shroud is a hugely important part of the cooling system.

People often over think their cooling system and modify a very good stock system into one that simply doesn't work.

No and it doesn't matter how hot it is outside. Runs the same.

I'll give the 180* stat a whirl. I've got the stock shroud. The chrome water neck seeps a bit anyway.

I wonder if my 38 year old radiator might not be cooling real efficiently either.

Thanks

Steve

-
Back