would these headers fit?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
A local shop owner offered up a set of Doug's and a set of Spitfire headers for a-body cars to me for 150 $/set. My question is, will they fit my '74 D100? don't worry guys if I don't get off em, I'llpass along the deal

And I swear if I get someone saying "buy TTI headers! " will get a big middle finger

I assume these are car headers, so pass.
The truck has alot more room so the headers are wider, this means you can actually use a stock starter with no issues.
Plus the cheap truck headers clear everything.

I assume these are car headers, so pass.
The truck has alot more room so the headers are wider, this means you can actually use a stock starter with no issues.
Plus the cheap truck headers clear everything.

I currently have a set of 5902 Hookers on it (I believe). They do not clear stock starter. I have a mini one on there off a Dak.

Are the headers you have for a truck, if not then yes you would need mini.
What trans are you running if it is a 4-speed the flywheel is much larger than a car forcing the starter out.

Are the headers you have for a truck, if not then yes you would need mini.
What trans are you running if it is a 4-speed the flywheel is much larger than a car forcing the starter out.

727. The large starter would fit. But its a real tight fit. Ill get a picture of my current headers. They came off a '78 W100 with 727

Sounds like you have a set of car headers on it now.
The headers I had on my Ramcharger with a 4-speed you could change a full size starter without taking the headers loose. I bought them new years ago, but dont remember the the brand, but the where cheap, like Blackjacks or Headmans.

Did you have to put a small ding in one tube to clear the mini starter, this would confirm car headers.
I have an engine start stand that uses a truck 143 tooth flywheel and bellhousing, mini starter and car headers the car headers are real tight on the mini starter.

Sounds like you have a set of car headers on it now.
The headers I had on my Ramcharger with a 4-speed you could change a full size starter without taking the headers loose. I bought them new years ago, but dont remember the the brand, but the where cheap, like Blackjacks or Headmans.

Did you have to put a small ding in one tube to clear the mini starter, this would confirm car headers.
I have an engine start stand that uses a truck 143 tooth flywheel and bellhousing, mini starter and car headers the car headers are real tight on the mini starter.

Nope. They are definitely Hooker 5902 headers. Ill take some pics if you want but they definitely match the bends on those to a T

the right headers from hooker shouldn't be too much more than the 300.00 are they /just sell those and get headers made for your set up .im would buy your spitfires to use for my 65 barracuda until I can find a set that works /fit right or I can afford to have a set custom made .every 1 tells me TTI also but I have a 727 tranny and TTI even tells me they will be tight every where and you will have to bang them up for clearance so they advertise a bodies 67 and up , I get sick of that conversation at a car shows .they don't know the early A body hitches when you stray from stock

the right headers from hooker shouldn't be too much more than the 300.00 are they /just sell those and get headers made for your set up .im would buy your spitfires to use for my 65 barracuda until I can find a set that works /fit right or I can afford to have a set custom made .every 1 tells me TTI also but I have a 727 tranny and TTI even tells me they will be tight every where and you will have to bang them up for clearance so they advertise a bodies 67 and up , I get sick of that conversation at a car shows .they don't know the early A body hitches when you stray from stock
I will try and talk to the gent tomorrow and see what's the happs. I left him a message. I'll take some pictures of both sets. They are $208 for the Hooker set like I have. If you can figure out what the shipping would be on the Spitfire headers, maybe we can work out some kinda deal so we both get what we want. Something like, you buy my headers and get 'em shipped to me and I buy the Spitfires and ship 'em to you. Either way, we will figure it out.:glasses7: As I said, if I can't use them, I will get them for someone to use. I don't like seeing parts gather dust when someone can have a viable use for them. And TTI blows IMO, you hash out a buttload of cash just to get something that fits better but apparently has as good of a coating quality as a set of Hookers so you have to either get em jet hot coated or paint them. and then there's a million catches to what you can/cannot use with them. Then everyone turns their nose up at the hookers for the A-body cars and act like if you run over a leaf, they'll scrape but alot of people on here have had great success with them.

just my 2cents sorry to rabble

Pic of the Spitfires. Shoulda taken more pics but I got caught up talking to the old guy about his '66 Valiant

hgNsxTc.jpg

They are new, never been used. has some slight paint wear at the collector, but the flanges are straight as an arrow

He didn't actually have Doug's but he did have these. they are way too short for my truck. I believe they are Headman's. The flange on these was dead straight too. I am unsure if they are worth buying painting and reselling so someone has a set. esp at $150 for the pair
791emdo.jpg

All that is surface rust and isn't pitted at all. come right off with some 0000# steel wool

-
Back