Would these wheels fit?

-

eman

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Plymouth valiant 100. I'm planning on getting 15x7 wheels with +0 offset. I'm converting my front brakes to scarebird discs and using 1" thick wheel adapters on the rear drums. Planning on running 225 60 r15 tires all around. Would this work? Any clearance issues? Thanks

with 1" spacers in the rear you'll need good amount of backspace on the wheels.

i have 15x7 rims with 4.5" backspace with 225/60-15 tires and its pretty close to the outter wheelwell on our dart. if i had to do it again i'd go 4.75 backspace.

i'm running a big bolt 8 3/4 which is a hair wider then a small bolt rear and don't have your 1" spacer.. you better get out there with a tape measurer.

not sure how it will work up front on yours though. i'm running a 73-up disc set up and the 4.5" backspace works well. again if done again i'd go .75 backspace..

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

Thanks for the pics, that really helps. I can't find any info on the backspacing for the wheels I want to use. But my other option is 15x8 with a 4.5 backspacing. Looks like I'll have to flare out the fenders a bit.

your problem is that 1" spacer.. it makes that 4.5 backspace into only 3.5" backspace. with an 8" wheel it will stick out even further. whats the spacer for?? small bot to big bolt adapter?

A 7" wheel with 0 offset has exactly 4" backspacing. Not enough offset to work on most A bodies. Like Abodyjoe says, a 4.50" backspacing 7" wheel works well with most reasonably sized tires, like a 225. On a 7" wheel 4.50" backspacing is equal to +1/2" or +13mm offset. If you want to run a 1" thick spacer you'll need 1" more backspacing or 1" more positive offset, which means 5" backspacing or +38 offset on a 7" wheel.

Your option of going to the wider 8" wheel solves nothing, except that most likely won't fit on the car at all. The 8" wheel with 4.50" backspacing you mention is still a 0 offset wheel.

you need to keep in mind that any wheel width is measured from the inside bead. a 7" wide wheel is actually 8 inches total width. then you have the aspect ratio of the tire size which can increase total width depending on what tire size you choose. if you are using adapters opposed to spacers and have to use them, you must subtract an inch of total backspace of the wheels to account for the adapter. its best to get in there and physically measure how much room you really have. its also going to depend on how low your car is going to ride.

your problem is that 1" spacer.. it makes that 4.5 backspace into only 3.5" backspace. with an 8" wheel it will stick out even further. whats the spacer for?? small bot to big bolt adapter?

Yes small bolt to big bolt adapter

A 7" wheel with 0 offset has exactly 4" backspacing. Not enough offset to work on most A bodies. Like Abodyjoe says, a 4.50" backspacing 7" wheel works well with most reasonably sized tires, like a 225. On a 7" wheel 4.50" backspacing is equal to +1/2" or +13mm offset. If you want to run a 1" thick spacer you'll need 1" more backspacing or 1" more positive offset, which means 5" backspacing or +38 offset on a 7" wheel.

Your option of going to the wider 8" wheel solves nothing, except that most likely won't fit on the car at all. The 8" wheel with 4.50" backspacing you mention is still a 0 offset wheel.

Yeah I realize 15x8 would be harder to squeeze, but it has decent backspacing so I figured flaring out the fenders would fit them. And I didn't kno the backspacing on the 15x7, but mentioned 15x7 wit 0 offset means 4" backspacing. So would it be better to use the 15x7 and flare the fenders?

actually the 15x8 has horrible backspace with that 1" adapter. its only 3.5" backspace in reality.

why not call wheel vintiques and get exactly what you need in small bolt pattern.they will do a custom backspace for $25. it will eliminate the adapter, and the wheel/tire combo will fit properly.

There are lots of wheels that are made with 4" bolt circle and the right backspacing. Cragar S/S is one. Also, E/T (Team III) has lots of options, which is what I got for my car.

Yeah thanks 69 340 gts. I just have my mind set on running these particular wheels that have the look I like for a good price. I just now remembered this video. These guys used 15x8 wheels and 225 tires with a 1" thick adapter. They had clearance issues on their valiant, but hammered out the wheel well. Hopefully the 15x7 will fit, but with that 4" backspacing, I might have to hammer or roll fenders.
[ame]http://youtu.be/zgyz-kXvm88[/ame]

what wheels do ya have your heart set on. those guys did a real hack job in my opinion. hate to see ya have to do they on a clean car. the other issue is you may get them to clear the wheel lip but they will hit higher in the wheel well.

With a 1" spacer you need a 15x7 with 5.50"-5.75" backspacng (+38mm to +44mm offset). This type of wheel is made. Look for wheels fitting front wheel drive cars with 5 x 100mm BC. Of course I don't know what you are going to put on the front that matches, unless you use a 1" spacer there too.

what wheels do ya have your heart set on. those guys did a real hack job in my opinion. hate to see ya have to do they on a clean car. the other issue is you may get them to clear the wheel lip but they will hit higher in the wheel well.
Yeah that's truu. Looks like they were just desperate to get the wheel on. I'm considering pacer dragstar and ultra 521 octane. 5 spoke wheels, same style as weld prostars but cost a lot less.

With a 1" spacer you need a 15x7 with 5.50"-5.75" backspacng (+38mm to +44mm offset). This type of wheel is made. Look for wheels fitting front wheel drive cars with 5 x 100mm BC. Of course I don't know what you are going to put on the front that matches, unless you use a 1" spacer there too.

Thanks for doing the math, I don't understand offset/backspacing that well haha

-
Back