Would This Make Sense?

-

Jason65

65Dart
Reaction score
I changed the rear springs in my 65 Dart raising the rear by about 2". I also raised the front a little. It now looks like the driveshaft yolk into the transmission has backed out by 1-1.5 inches. Does this make sense? What do you think is the minimum amount of engagement of this yolk into the trans. Thanks

I changed the rear springs in my 65 Dart raising the rear by about 2". I also raised the front a little. It now looks like the driveshaft yolk into the transmission has backed out by 1-1.5 inches. Does this make sense? What do you think is the minimum amount of engagement of this yolk into the trans. Thanks

How far was it in before you started?

when u lifted the rear of the car it sounds like maybe the pinion angle was changed so its pulled it back a litttle

I will pull the shaft and determine how much contact there is, That's why i am wondering what the min. is. I think it is in about 2-2.5 inches.

You don't really need to remove the driveshaft to tell if everything is kosher. Just jack up all 4 wheels securely (using jack stands under the rear axle so the rearend is in it's normal position, not just hanging) to where the car is level and you can get underneath it good. Unbolt the driveshaft from the differential and see how far it'll slide in the trans. It should slide in 3/4"~1". You need that amount of play so it doesn't ever bottom out in the trans.

X2,on the 3/4 to 1".When I had the driveshaft shortened on a project,driveline guy said the same.No problems whatsoever(4500 stall,and wrinklewalls)

You did something wrong..... if you changed the height by 2" and the shaft moved out 1.5", that's impossible.

As for the engagement, there are to many different slip yokes in use for mopars varying from 5" to 9" so you'll need to pull it out and see how long the bearing surface is and then how much is in the trans

Thanks for the replys... but the question is,what would be the minimum amount of splined yolk that goes into the tranmission be. Thanks

You only need 1 5/16 of spline engagement but, but then you need the bearing surface of the slip yoke into the bushing which the 727 is usually 2", so the bushing is about .5" from the seal so you want atleast 3" in past the seal so you have some suspension safety with suspension travel and the slip doesn't kill the bushing

Makes me wonder if he used early b-body springs that are an inch longer and would move the rear back an inch. Just a thought. I accidentally put an a-body spring on the right side of a 64 Fury, a B-body, that has a broken main leaf on the right side and used it for a while wondering why the driveshaft was different. It worked but bound up every now and then. The opposite could have happened here.

Thanks, I will pull the drive shaft tomorrow and find out what i have for engagement. I had pulled these springs out of my 65 Valiant Signet and as far as i know the measurements were all the same as the Dart springs

-
Back