would this run any good?

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
had to give up my plans on building a stroker so i will try to reuse whatever i can from my old combo here is what i am planing

parts i have or alreade have on order
340shortblock hardblocked with complete balanced rotating asembly,
stock forged crank checked ok
eagle H Beam rods
forged trw pistons 11.9:1 compresion
edelbrock performer rpm 340 heads, will be sent for some porting when they show up in a month or two if i dont learn to port heads quickly ;)
holley strip dominator singleplane intake manifold
two carbs one thrusted 800cfm edelbrock thunder series avs and one holley 750dominator (wish one would be best? i dont mind doing a ton of tuning)
TTI step headers
solid roller lifters
crane goldrace rockers
3200rpm stall converter
3.91:1 gears
complete MSD ignition

looking at a few diferent solid rollercams and i think that a comp cams extreme energy XR280R may make real nice power http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-20-741-9&autoview=sku or is there a bether cam for this aplication?

trying to build this 340 to make some real power until i can find another block and then aford building a stroker, but i whant some real power without blowing my bankacount using mostly parts i already have until i can aford a stroker
hoping for low 12´s-high 11´s on pumpgas
think that cam is any good, or is there a better one?
what else should i change?, dont realy whant to change to much since i whant to build a serious stroker later and ever dollar i can save now gets me closer to a stroker later ;)

thanks in advance

Sounds like a pretty good combo to me. I doubt the heads will need much if they are as good as the Eddy performers I got. Little blending here and there.
The weak link(s) I see in your combo is your TC. with that cam and compression and diff gears.
I say you need at least a 4-4200 flash TC to get it moving off the line.
check out www.SMRtrans.com. I'm running their TFR4 series 9 1/2" in my 388 that works very well at the track (3700flash) and on the street too. It would also work with your stroker later on. Get up early/late and talk to Pat @ SMR. He owns the business - and ships all over.
The second is the 3.91 gears - you need to go with 4.30s with 26" tire or 4.56 with 28" tire.
I run 4.30s with 26" tire and go thru traps @ 6650rpm @ 114mph @ 11.70ET.
I'm upping to 28" tire to bring the Rs down to ±6300 trap and to try and make better use of the strokers torque.
Keep having fun. :salute:

How do those pistons get you 11.9:1? Are they domed, or the flat tops that come out of the deck .018? Reason I ask is you want to make sure they will work with the Edelbrocks you got...
I agree with 388. Leave the heads alone, with the exception of maybe removing the taper they leave at the port openings. A smaller well shaped port will make really good power with that roller. You dont need to spend the $$ on it. To be honest, you can go 12.00s with hydraulic cams and iron heads fairly easy. So with the right match, you should be well into the 11s. As for carbs..I would use the Thunder 800cfm. The Dominator looks much cooler on a shelf...

moper said:
How do those pistons get you 11.9:1? Are they domed, or the flat tops that come out of the deck .018? Reason I ask is you want to make sure they will work with the Edelbrocks you got...
I agree with 388. Leave the maybe removing the taper they leave at the port openings. A smaller well shaped heads alone, with the exception of port will make really good power with that roller. You dont need to spend the $$ on it. To be honest, you can go 12.00s with hydraulic cams and iron heads fairly easy. So with the right match, you should be well into the 11s. As for carbs..I would use the Thunder 800cfm. The Dominator looks much cooler on a shelf...

they are oldstyle trw domepistons that come out of the deck alitle but the domes are machined down cant remember the exact amount, have it all writen down in my garage i had a friend at work help me calculate the compresion with those heads and felprogaskets but it was about a month ago and my memory is not the best, will dig up that note as son as i can, i ordered the rpm340 heads just because they are suposed to be machined for popup pistons the edelbrock catalog said they where machined .060 so that made me feel safe, in worst case i can always machine of some of the pistons to lower compresion.

i ordered the edelbrocks since my old ported out J heads have some sunk valveseats and most guides need to be replaced they also need helicoil in alot of places so i figured the edelbrocks would flow nicely and also take some wheight of the front and wont cost me a fortune in machinework and parts :)
and since i already have the rollerlifters that somehow survived the beat to death wild rollercam i figured another roller cam wont do me anything bad just have to make sure to replace the valvesprings in time this time :(

ok will use the tried and always working edelbrock again it has proven to work nicely and never give me any trouble and that cool looking litle 750dominator will be put on the cool shelf in my garaga on the top of a tunnelram standing on a 318longblock :salute:

thanks alot for the help a 11second car is probably fast enough for me and if i want to go faster i gues i will just have to feed it with some nitrous to go horribly fast :thumbup:

388dart said:
Sounds like a pretty good combo to me. I doubt the heads will need much if they are as good as the Eddy performers I got. Little blending here and there.
The weak link(s) I see in your combo is your TC. with that cam and compression and diff gears.
I say you need at least a 4-4200 flash TC to get it moving off the line.
check out www.SMRtrans.com. I'm running their TFR4 series 9 1/2" in my 388 that works very well at the track (3700flash) and on the street too. It would also work with your stroker later on. Get up early/late and talk to Pat @ SMR. He owns the business - and ships all over.
The second is the 3.91 gears - you need to go with 4.30s with 26" tire or 4.56 with 28" tire.
I run 4.30s with 26" tire and go thru traps @ 6650rpm @ 114mph @ 11.70ET.
I'm upping to 28" tire to bring the Rs down to ±6300 trap and to try and make better use of the strokers torque.
Keep having fun. :salute:

thanks alot for that help will have SMR in my thougts next time i need a converter the guy who built me my curent converter thinks he may bee able to give me some more stall from my curent converter if i just drop it of at his shop :)
glad to here those heads wont need alot of work done to them and i gues i can do some blending by myself in my garage without making any misstakes :)
good point on the gears, i will keep the 3.91 gears in my curent rear and will set up another rear anyway already have a dana60 just lying in my garage so that one will get some lower gears as soon as i can aford it:D

thanks alot:D

Do you drive this on the street? Often?
Then I'd do the AVS for sure.
Nice cam find. Looks like a canidate for my next 360. (Edel. heads and air gap intake, hooker super comps, 4spd manual & 4.10's.)

rumblefish360 said:
Do you drive this on the street? Often?
Then I'd do the AVS for sure.
Nice cam find. Looks like a canidate for my next 360. (Edel. heads and air gap intake, hooker super comps, 4spd manual & 4.10's.)

will drive this alot on the street just because i love to drive a car that is fast and i thrust a mopar enough to drive a highperformance car alot, i thrust ju guys on the AVS choice, but why would it be soo dificult to make a small dominator carb to work on the street a 750 dominator is not to far from a 750dubble pumper in my eyes just by looking at it ? not saying you guys are wrong i am just alitle curius :thumbup:
have been looking at more cams in the last few weeks than i ever thought i would and tried them in desktopdyno to get an idea´ about how they would work and that one looked like it would have both some torque and some top end power but your advice is always the best :thumbup:

-
Back