Would you buy a flood damaged classic car?

-

PatrickK

Reaction score
I have been keeping my eye open for a Dodge Demon like my dad used to have. Recently during my search I came across one that may be for sale in the future, although it was a caught up in hurricane Harvey. I am trying to keep in mind that it would need a complete rebuild, no matter how it may look in its current state, but it is a complete car, with buckets, console, automatic and it does code to a 340 car.

I am hoping to get an inspection report done prior, but just wanting to get some opinions from others who may have tackled such a project.

A older car may be, a late model flood car, absolutely not. I wouldn't buy any car like that without seeing it in person. I wouldn't trust a inspection report.

I have been keeping my eye open for a Dodge Demon like my dad used to have. Recently during my search I came across one that may be for sale in the future, although it was a caught up in hurricane Harvey. I am trying to keep in mind that it would need a complete rebuild, no matter how it may look in its current state, but it is a complete car, with buckets, console, automatic and it does code to a 340 car.

I am hoping to get an inspection report done prior, but just wanting to get some opinions from others who may have tackled such a project.

If it's not rusted and can be had a good price, why not buy a car soaked in poo water. You can disassemble it, freshen it up and have a nice car.

If you plan a full teardown and rebuild, then yeah I'd consider it. Otherwise no, it will literally be rusting from inside out as we speak....

On the Dodge Ram forum site. a member picked up a flood damaged truck for pretty cheap, and used it as a parts vehicle to repair/upgrade an insurance totalled truck. It was a lot of work, and sweat equity, but he ended up with a beautiful truck. And he was able to sell some of the parts he didn't use to offset the repaint expenses. If you can stay on task, and pump it out, it can be a sweet deal.

That's the yellow one, right? Looks good in the pictures except for the filth on/in it.

I figure if it was a fresh water flood, go for it. Salt water, well, I'd have major concerns about that.

If you can get it for a good deal, then why not?
Just know going in that it will have to be taken apart and cleaned stem to stern and all questionable pieces replaced or renewed.
If you are doing the majority of the work yourself, it probably would be worth it depending on the purchase price.........

After hurricane Irene came through I got to see first hand what floodwater does to vehicles, houses, etc.

Just know it needs a FULL teardown of the body and driveline. Down to every nuts and bolt.

I have a friend that daily drives a 10 chally that was up to door handles in water,opened doors ,pulled interior and pressure washed everything then let it sit in sun open for several days.reassembled and drives it every day......... its been about 3 yrs now and only problem has been seat motors................................................Jeff

Growing up in the midwest I am use to cars rusting from the inside out. Most were not garage queens all their life and they love to salt the roads around here. Saltwater gets almost everywhere. If you can get it for a good price go for it.

That's the yellow one, right? Looks good in the pictures except for the filth on/in it.

I figure if it was a fresh water flood, go for it. Salt water, well, I'd have major concerns about that.
Yep - that is the one. Pretty much identical to what my dad had (profile pic) except this one has a vinyl top. I guess depending on where exactly in Houston they were it could have been salt or freshwater. From the looks of the pictures it was a pretty nice car prior to that. I could then focus on rebuilding the entire drive train, replace electrical components and wiring if necessary, and see how much of the interior could be salvaged.

Yep - that is the one. Pretty much identical to what my dad had (profile pic) except this one has a vinyl top. I guess depending on where exactly in Houston they were it could have been salt or freshwater. From the looks of the pictures it was a pretty nice car prior to that. I could then focus on rebuilding the entire drive train, replace electrical components and wiring if necessary, and see how much of the interior could be salvaged.
Looks like $600. I'd be all over it

Looks like $600. I'd be all over it
I think that is the shipping price - It is still on their "future sale" list. So bidding has not started. I am in central Missouri, so this one would require me to be there in person if we are really serious about it. But if I priced it similar to what you find some of the rust buckets/incomplete cars are around here, then I think you would come out ok even fixing all of the other items.

72 Demon Front.jpg

72 Demon engine.jpg

If you can get it for a price that would include a total teardown and re-assembly with replacement stuff as needed, and you are willing to invest that much time and effort a drowned car could be a good deal because most everything you need should be there. Stuff like upholstery would need to be replaced but a lot of the parts chasing for a regular build would be eliminated.

also remember this...are you gonna keep it FOREVER? Cause resale on a flood car is gonna tough...so if you spend $20k to restore it for a $25k value car, to sell with a flood title, might lose alot.

I totally agree with the guys who pointed out the salt water/fresh water question. I don't know how you would even go about getting the salt out of all the nooks and crannies...and this would be a death sentence for sure. :(

Otherwise, so long as you budget for complete electrical harness replacements and at the least, replacing all of the interior padding, carpets, etc...this might be a great opportunity to save a classic from the crusher.

That Demon looks damn good.

This comment about salt water sums it up nicely. Good call. That salt water is brutal.

-
Back