Would You Buy This Lawn Mower?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a few bucks on the side and have this on craigslist for a $100.

Here's the description:

"Just rebuilt carb, sharpend the blade and gave it a tune up (I was a small engine mechanic for 10 yrs.) Blade safety works great, greased axles and replaced dust caps, cut level adjusters work great too. No missing parts and comes with bag. 100% made in USA with a heavy gauge steel deck and 3.8 HP Tecumseh engine made in Wisconsin. 2 pumps of the primer when cold and it's a 1 pull start. 1 pull start when warm. I just cut my overgrown lawn with it and it runs and cuts great, nice and even with no missed spots! Bags great and leaves no "duff" on the lawn. Very fuel efficeint too.

This is a great mower and should give many more years of service as long as gas isn't left in it over the winter. Please e-mail with any questions."

Am I asking too much money? Should I drop the price to 75 or 80? I found a 3.5 hp Craftsman mower in the alley but it was missing some parts and some dipsh!t had tried to fix it and had no clue. I picked up another almost identical 3.8 mower for $20 and made one good mower out of both.

Hey, whatever it takes, lol! I saw that mower in the alley and felt that I just couldn't pass up this "opportunity", lol. Since I'm unemployed, this kind of stuff keeps me busy and my mind active. You know what they say about "idle hands". The extra dough is sorely needed too. Who knows, if I can get enough of these rolling through, I'll just start my own business and be the master of my own destiny. I'll do motorcyles, chainsaws, snowblowers, jetskis, weedwhackers, whatever. I already have a big enough garage, two shop dogs, an air compressor and most all the tools. Hmmm.... I wonder if I can deduct dog food from my taxes as a "shop expense"? :read2: :-D

IMG_0319.jpg

Sure, if I needed a mower, I would buy it. I find it admirable that instead of feeling sorry for yourself you got busy on a money-making project. Even if no one buys it, at least you took action, and you're staying positive.

My Father-in-law use to get lanwmowers at the dump and garage sales. Most of the time a good carb cleaning new gas and a new plug and they would start.
I'd say $75 would be a good deal on that one.

When my Father-in-laws died we hauled off over 100 lawnmowers from his yard.

Oh! And Hi there ramcharger!

I think $80 would move it quicker.....not saying its not worth $100, but $100 has some sticker shock for a used mower, and the typical lawnmower has an Aluminum Bore....and is good for 250-300 hrs before it has to be bored or sleeved....who knows how many hours that has on it.

It looks clean....I applaud your resilence as well, hang in there.

I paid $50 for a 22" 5hp Briggs Ace Hardware Big Wheel....non bagger at a garage sale....did a tune up sharpened the blade, lubed all the friction points and it runs like a champ.

I just found employment (and this maybe something you can do as well), I went to the local Ford Dealership in my Mech-A-Nek clothes (khaki blue shirt-blue jeans-boots) and asked the service manager if he needed a competent technician....I explained all of my experience was Industrial/Commercial/Military and that I didn't hold any ASE certifications, but that I have done everything from 1.6L four cylinder to 50 Liter V-16 engine builds and all of my own mechanical repairs on all of my vehicles over the last 15 years....he basically smiled and offered me a job on the spot.

We negotiated for $14/hr plus $4 for every hour I flag.....and he said we could renegotiate after 90 days and he sees how I work and what I am capable of....I am a week in and doing good.

Anywho....good luck with the sale.

I would continue to check CL and see where other mowers are at price-wise and see if they are comparable. You can always test the waters at $100 and lower it the following week.

Prine: Great news! Show them what you got and hopefully they will reward you for it at your review.

Thats great to hear Prine. and the mower would move a lot faster at 75. maybe you could take a trade in and get a cycle going, fix and sell, fix and sell.

Sure, if I needed a mower, I would buy it. I find it admirable that instead of feeling sorry for yourself you got busy on a money-making project. Even if no one buys it, at least you took action, and you're staying positive.

Thank you. :) I've got to do something or I'll go nuts. I've only got 20 bucks invested and if worse comes to worse, I'll keep it. It really does work great and it's way better built than my 5HP Murray Mulcher.

My Father-in-law use to get lanwmowers at the dump and garage sales. Most of the time a good carb cleaning new gas and a new plug and they would start.
I'd say $75 would be a good deal on that one.

When my Father-in-laws died we hauled off over 100 lawnmowers from his yard.

Oh! And Hi there ramcharger!

This one needed the flywheel de-rusted (it's where the ignition magnet is) the pick up coil de-rusted, an intake manifold gasket, the plug cleaned, two govenor linkages, a govenor spring, the carb cleaned, one wheel replaced, two axle cotter pins, one home made wheel spacer, the blade safety cable unkinked and lubed and the rear rock guard replaced. It took some time but what the hey, time is one thing I have, lol. I'm left with one very "incomplete" craftsman mower, lol!

Just got a response! Someone wants to come check it out. Granted it is "flakelist" so I'm not holding my breath, lol.

Hey greendart! :wave: I'd take that truckload of mowers right now, lol!

ramcharger....I have to say I really admire your positive attitude and resourcefulness :salute:

That being said, I think a 2 digit number will attract more responses. The thing about craigslist is the ad gets buried pretty fast.

Prine.....big Congrats to you.....:cheers:

I think $80 would move it quicker.....not saying its not worth $100, but $100 has some sticker shock for a used mower, and the typical lawnmower has an Aluminum Bore....and is good for 250-300 hrs before it has to be bored or sleeved....who knows how many hours that has on it.

It looks clean....I applaud your resilence as well, hang in there.

I paid $50 for a 22" 5hp Briggs Ace Hardware Big Wheel....non bagger at a garage sale....did a tune up sharpened the blade, lubed all the friction points and it runs like a champ.

I just found employment (and this maybe something you can do as well), I went to the local Ford Dealership in my Mech-A-Nek clothes (khaki blue shirt-blue jeans-boots) and asked the service manager if he needed a competent technician....I explained all of my experience was Industrial/Commercial/Military and that I didn't hold any ASE certifications, but that I have done everything from 1.6L four cylinder to 50 Liter V-16 engine builds and all of my own mechanical repairs on all of my vehicles over the last 15 years....he basically smiled and offered me a job on the spot.

We negotiated for $14/hr plus $4 for every hour I flag.....and he said we could renegotiate after 90 days and he sees how I work and what I am capable of....I am a week in and doing good.

Anywho....good luck with the sale.

Excellent news Prine! I know how tough it's been for you with having a family and all. Thank goodness I only have the dogs. They're way cheaper than kids. BTW, I still have a couple work shirts from days gone by and that's a great idea. If I can sell this think I'm going to fill my tank on my jeep and start hasseling all the motorcycle shops in the area. :)

Engine burns zero oil and doesn't smoke a bit. If it's taken care of, I can see this mower lasting a good 5 years on a 5000 sq ft lawn. :read2:

I would continue to check CL and see where other mowers are at price-wise and see if they are comparable. You can always test the waters at $100 and lower it the following week.

I figure if it doesn't go this weekend, I'll drop to 80 on Monday. I wanted to leave bargining room. :-D The only mowers I see going for $100 with a bag are the cheap *** Poulans.

Thats great to hear Prine. and the mower would move a lot faster at 75. maybe you could take a trade in and get a cycle going, fix and sell, fix and sell.

I wish someone would trade me a bike for a mower! That would be ideal! Otherwise the investment would be more than I can afford. :angry7:

The guy from craigslist just called. He's got a bunch of rental properties and wants to have it for his tenants. :) He wants a Crafstman as he knows he can get parts from Sears. :-D We've just had a buttload of rain these past two weeks, so this may be just real good timing. He'll be here tomorrow at 10am. Wish me luck!

ramcharger....I have to say I really admire your positive attitude and resourcefulness :salute:

That being said, I think a 2 digit number will attract more responses. The thing about craigslist is the ad gets buried pretty fast.

Prine.....big Congrats to you.....:cheers:

Thanks 6pk! I think marketing (good pics and descriptions) go a long way. I emailed this guy back and offered a link to a video I took to prove that it's a one pull start machine and he just wanted an appointment. We'll see if he actually shows up.....

Crap! There goes my Maxi out the garage door with my leather welding gloves!!!!!!!

Excellent news Prine! I know how tough it's been for you with having a family and all. Thank goodness I only have the dogs. They're way cheaper than kids. BTW, I still have a couple work shirts from days gone by and that's a great idea. If I can sell this think I'm going to fill my tank on my jeep and start hasseling all the motorcycle shops in the area. :)

Engine burns zero oil and doesn't smoke a bit. If it's taken care of, I can see this mower lasting a good 5 years on a 5000 sq ft lawn. :read2:

I figure if it doesn't go this weekend, I'll drop to 80 on Monday. I wanted to leave bargining room. :-D The only mowers I see going for $100 with a bag are the cheap *** Poulans.

I wish someone would trade me a bike for a mower! That would be ideal! Otherwise the investment would be more than I can afford. :angry7:

The guy from craigslist just called. He's got a bunch of rental properties and wants to have it for his tenants. :) He wants a Crafstman as he knows he can get parts from Sears. :-D We've just had a buttload of rain these past two weeks, so this may be just real good timing. He'll be here tomorrow at 10am. Wish me luck!

I meant a cycle as in 2 cycl or 4 cycle where you fix one and sell one and take a trade to start the cycle all over again. your grass would have to be jungle high to trade your scoot for a mower lol

I meant a cycle as in 2 cycl or 4 cycle where you fix one and sell one and take a trade to start the cycle all over again. your grass would have to be jungle high to trade your scoot for a mower lol

ROTFLMAO! I gotcha brother....LOL! Yeah man, workin' on figuring out a "cycle of trade". :) Being an x motorcyle mechanic, hearing "cycle" always brings out the biker in me. :-D

The guy from craigslist just called. He's got a bunch of rental properties and wants to have it for his tenants. :icon_smi: He wants a Crafstman as he knows he can get parts from Sears. :iconbigg: We've just had a buttload of rain these past two weeks, so this may be just real good timing. He'll be here tomorrow at 10am. Wish me luck!
Good luck with it Joe! 8)

Another angle to consider is offer trade ins, I'll bet you can pick up one or two more mowers plus a little cash.

Great news there ramcharger. Maybe an opportunity also w/ the landlord for some type of handyman job ??? :read2:

Well I wish you where closer ramcharger because there is still all kinds of motors parts and pieces of lawnmowers up at some rental property we own.

My father-in-law bought a repair shop out and hauled it all up there and stored it in a old school house on our property. He took like seven pick up loads up there.
As far as I know it's still there. Might not be any good anymore it's been there about 10 years.

Working on small engines is a great way to make a little cash pretty quick, because noone seems to have any patience for the 'lil critters, but if you get into more tricky situations, like rebuilding them, or one that just won't cooperate and leaves you scratching your head, you're bound to get frustrated and leave them alone for a while.

Funny this topic pops up, I have a few small engines and some articles powered by them. Last night I listed a couple old mini-bike frames, a rototiller, 2 B&S TWIN cylinders, along with an 11 HP B&S.
I had 4 calls wanting to buy the twins, plus a few on the bikes.
Never figured there was actually ANY money in old used lawnmower engines, but everyone's trying to save a $ right now.

In all honesty, my yard is a pit.
Parts all over, grass half as tall as me, I really need a larger mower with a good deck that doesn't eat the hell out of belts in tall, tall grass.

Mark.

Good luck with it Joe! 8)

Thanks Brother! Where the heck you been lately? Putting in a new pool, lol!

Another angle to consider is offer trade ins, I'll bet you can pick up one or two more mowers plus a little cash.

Good point SG! I should mention that "Trade-In's Are Welcome!". :read2:

Great news there ramcharger. Maybe an opportunity also w/ the landlord for some type of handyman job ??? :read2:

Trust me, I'll be hitting him up, lol. BTW, I did get the welding glove away from Maxi but it wasn't pretty. :-D

Well I wish you where closer ramcharger because there is still all kinds of motors parts and pieces of lawnmowers up at some rental property we own.

My father-in-law bought a repair shop out and hauled it all up there and stored it in a old school house on our property. He took like seven pick up loads up there.
As far as I know it's still there. Might not be any good anymore it's been there about 10 years.

Thanks Green. I wish I lived closer too. After ten years the scrap value may be good regardless but I still bet that something must be salvageable. US made stuff is all Briggs&Stratton or Tecumseh and parts swap pretty easy.

Working on small engines is a great way to make a little cash pretty quick, because noone seems to have any patience for the 'lil critters, but if you get into more tricky situations, like rebuilding them, or one that just won't cooperate and leaves you scratching your head, you're bound to get frustrated and leave them alone for a while.

It's easy stuff for me having been a professional motorcyle mechanic on all brands and cut my teeth on B&S powered mini-bikes as a 10 yr. old kid. I was "milling" the heads on a piece of old window glass in a figure "8" pattern with a sheet of 80 grit on my dads workbench and removing the governer. Back then, you could adjust both the idle and high speed mixture, everything is now sealed up.
Funny this topic pops up, I have a few small engines and some articles powered by them. Last night I listed a couple old mini-bike frames, a rototiller, 2 B&S TWIN cylinders, along with an 11 HP B&S.
I had 4 calls wanting to buy the twins, plus a few on the bikes.
Never figured there was actually ANY money in old used lawnmower engines, but everyone's trying to save a $ right now.
In all honesty, my yard is a pit.
Parts all over, grass half as tall as me, I really need a larger mower with a good deck that doesn't eat the hell out of belts in tall, tall grass.

Mark.

Must be a rider mower if you're talking belts. :-D I wont tell you about the time I put a 2 stroke twin cylinder sno-mo engine on my mini-bike, lol!

Thanks Brother! Where the heck you been lately? Putting in a new pool, lol!
Lmao! :thebirdm: Nice one. Hopefull she doesn't read this. I try not to even mention pools when it is 100 degrees everyday all week. Don't sent her a PM either!8)

No, not any time soon.:-D In a few years she might wear me down but I don't see it in the near future. Been busy at work and at home. Redid my garage the last couple of weeks. I have the next 3 days off, I will try to get some pics up of it and the engine stands I built.

Did you start wrestling with the dogs with those welding gloves? They work really well and Callie loves them things!!!!!

Lmao! :thebirdm: Nice one. Hopefull she doesn't read this. I try not to even mention pools when it is 100 degrees everyday all week. Don't sent her a PM either!8)

No, not any time soon.:-D In a few years she might wear me down but I don't see it in the near future. Been busy at work and at home. Redid my garage the last couple of weeks. I have the next 3 days off, I will try to get some pics up of it and the engine stands I built.

Did you start wrestling with the dogs with those welding gloves? They work really well and Callie loves them things!!!!!

Maxie just picked one off the welding cart.....*****, lol! They've been in the same place since September. She just thought she'd fk with me.....I prefer fkn with the both of them bare handed. I don't want them getting used me being somewhat null to thier bite.

"No Teeth" is the command. :) :read2: Even a "nip" from Merlin would penetrate a child's skin, so I want him to know that it's not OK. :)

my dad used to find them all the time being thrown out for the garbage he would drain the water/gas out of them and sell them after he got them running 45 to 50 bucks all day long funny time was when a guy looked at one and said that was his old mower and tried to jew him down on the price of the mower he bought it back for 50 bucks and always brought it back to dad to have it repaired alot of people around here dont have garages so there mowers get ruined and they toss them goodluck with your sale on the mower

I occasionally will get an old three wheeler or bike for about nothing. Usually I stare at them for awhile, and then sell them off.

It became clear to me that there is an entire world of people out there who repair and sell older bikes and trikes etc. One guy said he pretty much cleans them up, gets them running and sells them pretty quick.

Alot of people want a $350 trike that runs good if it is the right model.

Just a thought, and good for you BTW.

ROB

...Back then, you could adjust both the idle and high speed mixture, everything is now sealed up...

How about the ones with the fuel shut of solenoid, where you nearly HAVE to have a battery to even get the things to run?
Although, the solenoid type engines usually are electric start.
The solenoid idea just takes more of the simplicity away.
I do like the idea of phenolic/plastic bowls and carb bodies, at least if the darned things have had water in them, a guy can use a cleaner and small brush for the lime deposits and have no real corrosion issues.

Snowmobile engines are okay, but back then we liked to shift gears.
More than a couple motorcycle engines were (haphazardly) engineered onto go-cart frames.
Had one with a Suzuki GT250 twin (ancient 2 stroke) that would move about 70.
If you could control it, that is.

As kids,we shoulda' killed our selves off a long time ago, but I don't think "Natural Selection" kicks in until age 21. :D.

Mark.

"No Teeth" is the command. :icon_smi: :read2: Even a "nip" from Merlin would penetrate a child's skin, so I want him to know that it's not OK. :icon_smi:
That is a good idea. When I take the gloves off, I tell her "we're done". She knows no gloves=no teeth. 8)

I like that trade me your old mower and get some off idea. :cheers:

Good luck in what oyu are doing. Times are rough all over..Doing about the same thing here with mowers, but find there is more money in riding mowers..One like yours goes for a high of about 65 here but most can be had for around 50....I just picked up a 12 hp Craftmans riding mower and a 3.5 20" cut mower for $30.. Put a plug in the push mower and it fired right up, son-in- law used it to mow his lawn and said it did great..Got the riding one working but still have a few issues with it..But will make a good mower for some one, plus my friend and I have had 3 riding ones given to us. We have all 3 running and plan on keeping 2 of them and selling the other one....Sounds like oyu are far better set with this than we are as we have never worked on them before.. Learning allot that is for sure...

-
Back