Would you cut 68 Form S Fish for 1 7/8 headers?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
I have a 68 Form S 340 4 spd fastback. No rust, definate driver, (once the motors back in). The problem is I have 1 5/8's headers and the massaged t/a heads exhaust ports are bigger than the header flange openings creating a definate restriction. I have a new set of Heddmen hustlers 1 7/8's that has one tube over the frame. The 340 motor has 11:1 comp. hughes solid 245/250 @ 050. dur. and 560, 575 lift The afore mentioned t/a heads done by Bob Mullens for circle track use back in the late 70's or early 80's. This has to be hurting performance. The car is driven probably 2 or 3 times a week around town and hopefully will go to the strip maybe once a month. It seems to me that the cutout area could always be put back if neccesary. I don't intend to ever get rid of the car, but who ever knows? I am looking for thoughts on this. Also can't afford custom headers.

I am not sure what your are wanting to cut on the car.A 68 Formula S 340 4 speed car I would not be cutting on it anywere.
Jim

The one header tube has to go over the frame rail in the engine compartment on each side. so each inner fenderwell would have a hole.

I wouldnt cut it for a larger tube.....dont think it's worth it. It is your car though, just make sure you keep the cut clean and keep the chunk you cut out

The problem is I have 1 5/8's headers and the massaged t/a heads exhaust ports are bigger than the header flange openings creating a definate restriction.

If it were me, I would not deviate too much from stock (body-wise), but it's your car.

Can't you take a die grinder to the headers, and sorta do a "gasket match" port job on them to match the heads? Is there not enough metal there?

I dont think you really need a 1-7/8" tube. I would sell the headers you have and buy some 1-3/4" Super Comps.

Don't think you would gain much in the way of performance over a 1 3/4" tube header. Why not go with Hooker Super Comps in the 1 3/4" size and you don't have to cut the inner fender.

The 1 3/4 have the same flange/port size as the 1 5/8. The 1 3/4 just get bigger after the flange. I compared them when I worked at summit racing.

-
Back