Would you put 13" slicks on 10" rims?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Assumed that the wheels on my 31.0x13x15 slicks were 12" wide, but discovered they are 15x10. Do you see anything wrong with a 13" wide slick on a 10" rim?
Tried my friends 12" wide rims (same backspacing) with my tires but they rub in the fender wells. Would like to keep stock fenders.

I wouldn't, run 13 inch on a 10 inch rim as the buldge(sidewall) will probably be 14 inches or more giving the rear to much roll/sway.Assuming your running low air pressure for racing.JMO

I wouldn't, run 13 inch on a 10 inch rim as the buldge(sidewall) will probably be 14 inches or more giving the rear to much roll/sway.Assuming your running low air pressure for racing.JMO

Good point!
But with that said, I run 26X10X15 on a 8" rim.....would work better if it was 10" but 8" is what i have.

I run goodyear slicks,31x13x15 on a 12" rim with 7 1/2 back space on my 71 dart,still have stock rear frame rails,but mini tubbed

4 wheel drive guys run a 12.5 wide tire on a 8" rim so I don't see why you couldn't run that..

Based on the 4X4 guys I know , this makes perfect sense. :D
For optimum, traction you like a wider rim than tread to give a full foot print.
Look at what the 10.5 tire and drag radial guys are doing......that is clearly the way to go fast.
A narrower rim will make the sidewalls bulge more , so I don't think that is gonna help you , for clearance or hook.

Based on the 4X4 guys I know , this makes perfect sense. :D
For optimum, traction you like a wider rim than tread to give a full foot print.
Look at what the 10.5 tire and drag radial guys are doing......that is clearly the way to go fast.
A narrower rim will make the sidewalls bulge more , so I don't think that is gonna help you , for clearance or hook.

a narrower rim will suck the sidewalls in, and likely try to roll the outside edges of the tire, giving less footprint.:wack:

I always try and run a rim that is +/- " than the tire. If you want to keep the 10" wheels I would suggest a 10.5w slick.

Is there a reason for the 13" tires?

a narrower rim will suck the sidewalls in, and likely try to roll the outside edges of the tire, giving less footprint.:wack:
On paper.
In reality , the narrower rim draws the bead in and bulges out the rest of the side wall.
This creates a rounder , wider sidewall......drawing the edges of the tread upward.
The " section width " will be greater with a narrower rim , but it doesn't allow for a full foot print.

I always try and run a rim that is +/- " than the tire. If you want to keep the 10" wheels I would suggest a 10.5w slick.

Is there a reason for the 13" tires?
The reason is that's what was on the car when I bought it. Switching bolt patterns (new axles) so I need new wheels anyway, the old 10" rims are going away regardless. I know the 13" slicks fit in the wheel wells, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out the backspacing for 12" wheels. Taking them off the car today and measuring with a plumb bob.

This was what I was thinking. The previous owner could never hook, and I'm thinking this was part of the problem.

On paper.
In reality , the narrower rim draws the bead in and bulges out the rest of the side wall.
This creates a rounder , wider sidewall......drawing the edges of the tread upward.
The " section width " will be greater with a narrower rim , but it doesn't allow for a full foot print.
Sounds like I need to figure out how to fit 12" wide wheels onto the car, bulging sidewalls and losing some footprint are not what I'm looking for.

I run goodyear slicks,31x13x15 on a 12" rim with 7 1/2 back space on my 71 dart,still have stock rear frame rails,but mini tubbed
Current backspacing is 5 1/2" on eyeballing it it looks like it could handle another 2" of backspacing. Man I wish I knew someone local I could borrow a pair from to try it before I shell out the bucks.

Okay, I took a plumb bob and measured the width of the tubs and the distance from the inside of the tub to the front of the brake drum. The tub is 18 1/2" wide to the top inside of the fender lip, and the brake drum front is 9 1/2" from the inside of the tub, so 9 1/2" space to the inside and 9" to the outside of the brake drum face. If I go with a 12" wide rim with a 6 1/2" backspace and a 12" wide tire with a 14" section width, that should eliminate the contact surface and sidewall issues. Adding for section with, 6 1/2 + 1 for section width = 7 1/2" for the inside which leaves 2" of clearance. 5 1/2 + 1 = 6 1/2" for the outside which leaves 2 1/2" for clearance.
Any red flags before I press the BUY button??

That should be plenty of clearance. I like at least 3/4 " of clearance , but I am not running that big a tire.
If you have 1" + , I'd say you're golden.

UPDATE: Finally decided (after measuring numerous times) to go with 12" wheels with a 6 1/2" backspacing, and 12" wide slicks instead of 13". I have the tires, but the wheels are on backorder and won't be shipped until June 6th! I guess that gives me time to check everything else and make sure it's ready...

If your Racing then NO. You want max contact width. Example most 8.5 racers run a 10 inch wheel.

Ray

-
Back