Would you use used rubber?

-
Reaction score
The questions here are, should I re-use the windshield and rear window gaskets on my '64 Barrucuda or buy new.

If I should re-use the old, how do I "make them new" again.

If I should buy new, who has the best product?

Thanks,
Dave

A lot depends on the condition of the originals. If they are clean, or can be cleaned, aren't ripped, cut or worn out and are still soft, I'd use them. In a lot of cases the originals are a better fit. I'm not sure of the availability of new gaskets for your car so I'm assuming there are some. In most cases, the problems I've encountered with new gaskets/old glass or visa versa is a difference in the thickness of the channel. Some new glass is thinner and an old gasket won't seal properly in it. Sometimes it's possible to use the old gasket and new zip strip to get the job done. As for cleaning them, I'd get some Toluene at the hardware store and just try rubbing them clean of any glue or dirt. Hope this helps.

I bought new ones...once you remove old rubber it never goes back in the same way and more prone to cracking... I got mine from DANTESPARTS.com when I replaced the ones on my '66 Barra. Real helpful and the owner takes all sales calls.

ZooKypr

I reused the old one for the rear glass.Cleaned with lacquer thinner and dosed with Formula 2.Replaced the windshield with new,doesnt fit the way it should.If you have a good rubber,i would refurbish it.

i agree the original stuff seems to fit better. watched a glass guy pull out a dart windshield, clean the rubber and spray it down with some kind of silicon spray and put it right back in the car. fit great and never leaked.

The questions here are, should I re-use the windshield and rear window gaskets on my '64 Barrucuda or buy new.

If I should re-use the old, how do I "make them new" again.

If I should buy new, who has the best product?

Thanks,
Dave

I'm glad this is in the right thread. There is one kind of rubber I would never re-use.

That said, I would consider re-using glass gaskets IF they are not cracked or torn. One crack or one tear would be a re-use deal breaker for me.

Here at the Edge of the World, the sun dries out gaskets to the point where they are as brittle as saltines. These can not be revived.

The windshield gaskets I have been able to re-use are generally coated with WD-40 that I use in removing glass. I wipe the gasket with clean shop towels then soak in a solution of Dawn and hot water overnight. (Yes, I know the water cools.) Then I dry the gasket again and soak with a heavy application of Armor-All. I let it set for ½ hr or so, then dry thoroughly.

Some here aren't big fans of Armor-All and you may be one of them. It has worked for me in the past. I really don't think the brand is that important, but what it does, is. Use a functional equivalent in a similar manner.

When I have to buy a gasket, I go to Steele Rubber Products. Another source is Metro, but I have heard some complain about fit.

Got mine from Metro, fit wasn't very good. That being said I have also heard they should be installed in a warm environment and gently stretched to size. Mine was done in on a winter day #-o

Soaking in Diesel will make rubber as plyable as brand new, also that floor cleaner Mr Clean softens it up too. I have never tried the later but I have done the diesel trick and it works. Mine is not cracked so I am going to soak it and buy a new insert. Do you have to use the crhome insert? In other words can you get a black one?

So, if I'm understanding the trend here, the new ones do not quite fit right. cleaning the old if not cracked or torn is the way to go.

Now, will a new lock strip fit in the old channel??

Thanks
Dave

Use the old ONLY if it's real nice and pliable, not sure I made that clear in my first post. New lock strip is usually needed but not always and should work fine in the old gasket.

Is there anyone out there that is happy with the window seals they bought. And..where did you get them from.
I would really like to learn from your mistakes!!!

Dave

In my 64 (American Valiant) you can't get a one piece gasket for it, so I used the original one. Put a new in the front. If I was doing a Dart(American) or Cuda you can get the new rubber for and I would of done that.

New ones can purchased at your chevy dealer there rounded not squared like original, but width is identical(chevy s-10)
mine was chrome they may have it in black

I reused my original rubbers and they were out of the car for 25 years. I just cleaned them real good with thinner and a scotchbrite pad. The repro ones look good if you can get them to go in correctly but they don't last, they just don't have the quality rubber that was used 45 years ago.

New ones can purchased at your chevy dealer there rounded not squared like original, but width is identical(chevy s-10)
mine was chrome they may have it in black

That is what I used for the insert also, I bought a 100ft role through my buddies glass shop. (Enough to do 3 cars) The GM stuff is almost an 1/8" narrower than the original. The only issue is the corners on the front of the rear glass don't lay exactly like they should but unless you are as picky as me you won't notice it.

See, Blownfish, that's the problem.....I am picky. My goal is to make this car look as if it just came from the factory.

That's why I thought I wanted to go with new. However, I am finding out that they just can't seem to make the new stuff fit right. That's why I tried to find out who had the best.

It seems like I'm going to end up using the old. just cleaning the heck out of it.

If the new lock strip is 1/8" thinner that the original does that cause a problem?

Dave

See, Blownfish, that's the problem.....I am picky. My goal is to make this car look as if it just came from the factory.

That's why I thought I wanted to go with new. However, I am finding out that they just can't seem to make the new stuff fit right. That's why I tried to find out who had the best.

It seems like I'm going to end up using the old. just cleaning the heck out of it.

If the new lock strip is 1/8" thinner that the original does that cause a problem?

Dave

The GM lock strip is all that is available, it is what Laysons sells as a replacement except they won't tell you what it actually is. There is a Ford lock strip that looks closer to the original except it is different where it locks in the rubber and it is even more narrow.

It does fit good except the original aluminum caps that cover the seams don't fit the strip very good, I just left them out and butted the strip. The issue with the corners is that they bend a little different and where the upper front corners of the rear glass is, the rubber don't lay the same as it does over the rest of the window. My buddy that helped install the glass owns a glass company and thought it fit real good and he is the most picky/anal guy I have ever met and the only one I would even think of messing with my car.

I think it will all depend on your car and rubber, no two cars will fit the same. My rubber was out of my car for 25 years and that may have been some of the fit issues that I seen.

this topic never seems to end for mopar guys,,,

i have a front gasket in my 66 barracuda that i bought from chrysler in 1979,, it has been in 2 cars,,and it never fit properly,,and it was from MOPAR,,,,,

i have searched this out,, there are 2 companies making wind shield gaskets for the restoration world,,one maker has a gasket that doesnt fit properly,,the other maker hasa correct fitting gasket,,how do i know ?? becuase i have one now,,not installed yet,,before i bought it i called them and made them give me measurements of there gasket,,i compared the measurements to the non fittin gasket and to the orignal i still have,,it is dead on to the orignal,, they sent me pics of the gasket instaled in a 66 dart,,

the companys name i cant remember,, but its some thing like percesision or perferct or ?? any way,,call who ever you deal with ask whos gasket they carry,,i bought mine from RICK@ LAYSONS,, on sale,,

in 1996 i bought a rear gasket from the padock, and it fit perfect,,the rear on a early barracuda is super easy to install,,,

I reused both rubber gaskets, and used New mylar inserts.

I removed/reinstalled the rear window myself, all alone,
when I did the headliner.

Next time, i will pay someone to do the headliner.
:(

headlinerproject64Valiant025Medium.jpg

I ended up buying two headliners as well. The first on I put in. Went pretty well until I got to the C pillars. Could not get that to work. nded up buying another and paying for installation.

Came out beautiful!!
Dave

I ended up buying two headliners as well. The first on I put in. Went pretty well until I got to the C pillars. Could not get that to work. nded up buying another and paying for installation.

Came out beautiful!!
Dave

They can be tricky if you never done one before.

You start in the rear on most of the A-Bodies and work your way forward stretching the wrinkles out as you go. There are two short wires that connect the rear bow to the window frame so when you pull it forward the bows stay still then when you get to the front, you stretch out the wrinkles along the front. The tricky part is around the dome lights, the more padding you have the easier it is to get the wrinkles out.

-
Back