WOW '70 340 duster sells for $38.5k..

-

stroked 340

Banned
Reaction score
A '70 340 4-speed hemi-orange duster sold for $38,500.00 today,man maybe i will take mine out there when i get serious about selling it..

Acually I have that exact car but in an auto....and in a million pieces matching #'s ev2 the real deal...will be going 2 gether this summer...can;t wait....I wish I could afford that one...The e-body is just the beater car LOL....the a-body is where the cash is going to go to....

I was just sittin there noddin off and saw a green 68 383 S car cross the BJ stage.....as it pulled off the numbers hit 62.5 k took about 3 mins!! I was speachless!!! that is the most I have ever seen an A go for anywhere!!! agreed it was a 383 4sp ( rare buggy ) but 62.5K!!!! it was clean over & under but that is a heck of a lot of greenbacks for an A....good to see they are being recognized....unless this was a "one hit wonder".... keep your eyes peeled...this does wonders for all the rest of the A's out there

Hooo Rah!!!

It's cool but kind of sucks.... by the time I finish mine it might be worth too much to drive and enjoy, of course by then I might not be able to drive. lol

Rich cats at play, has nothing to do with the prices of cars in the normal world. They get all liquored up and have fun out bidding each other. Wouldn't it be fun to have the money to bid what ever it takes to get the car you want. Not sensible but fun! Funny thing is after he rolls it outside the tent it's only worth 15,000 to 20,000 at the most. Sad thing is the old guy next door sees that and figures his /6 duster rustbucket he has had in his field for 20 years is all of a sudden a freakin gold mine!

Looking at the pics of that Duster that has been "restored to original Chrysler stock specs", I have a question.
The windshield and roof rail trim is blacked out. Would this be factory for a 1970? I like it, but is it original?
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appl...ist.aspx?year=1970&make=plymouth&model=duster
C

Actually the trim pieces are stainless steel,they may look black due to the angle of the picture,and i believe the "black out" treatment was a '71 option not available on a '70...

Something is strange about the dash in that car. Looks like it is silver paint, not chrome. Thumbwheel radio in a 70?

It's a nice car but I have seen better for that price.

I think that was on e-bay..there was a discussion about an a body going for that w/o being numbers matching car..

ian.

Something is strange about the dash in that car. Looks like it is silver paint, not chrome. Thumbwheel radio in a 70?

As an original owner, thumbwheel radios were standard in 1970.

DSC00068 (Small).JPG

I agree thumbwheel radio, didn't have in 70. I believe the 340 Wedge callout on hood and top trim was 71 only, wasn't it? seems to me alot of things are not right in the interior or at least nice. We must remember there are alot of bowtie and blue oval guys invading are hobby, that don't know what is right on these cars, and are just buying them because our mopars are a better investment now than there 68 camaros and Mustangs.
I think it is ruining our hobby, because you have to be rich to own these cars today, they have really drove the price up on them, and the parts to fix them up.

My 72 duster, I have for sale on this site, is not that far from being a twin to this car. $10,500.

For a car restored to specifications, why is it wearing 71 stripes and 340 wedge hood callouts? Granted, the 71 package is the best looking IMO.

Grant

The steering column and pedal levers are still rusty. You'd think they'd have been blasted and painted. If they missed that, what else did they miss?

Only one at this year's auction?
With prices like that for an obviously nice allthough incorrect resto to this car, i bet there's 50 at the next auction!
I bet Steve Magnet roasted this one!

I am very familiar with the Duster in question, and was at BJ when it went across the block yesterday. Here's the low-down: this car was brought to the Russo and Steele auction last year by some guy from Philly; it only attracted an $18K high bid and did not meet the seller's reserve. Following the auction it was sold to a local party here in the Phoenix area. It's been offered for sale at a few car shows around the area since then.

Hemmings Muscle News basically trashed this car in a review of the RS auction last year. The Duster is a '70 model, but it wears '71 stripes and trim. It also has '73 Duster 340 metal emblems. Hemmings gave it a 2 minus rating. The paint is okay, but nothing spectacular. The engine bay is so-so at best. The interior is alright. I helped the Philly guy get the car started last year at Russo and Steele, and it seemed to be a little shaky mechanically.

All in all, it's a real surprise this Duster brought such strong money at Barrett-Jackson. My wife and I were both slack jawed as the auctioneer dropped the gavel at $35K. I think this is a real indication that the collector community is finally taking notice of single carb 340 A-bodies. As we all know, BJ sets the tempo, price-wise, for the market.

So some slap together, barley running POS brings that kind of money, and its good for our hobby? Nope!!!!!

Wooooweeee! I'm sittin' on a GOLD mine, I have a #'s 340 4 speed Duster...
:bootysha: Hemi 'Cuda's, I'm getting there, LOL.

But all kidding aside, the cost to build one, as new, is up there.
How much is a new car worth?

So some slap together, barley running POS brings that kind of money, and its good for our hobby? Nope!!!!!

I didn't say it was good for the hobby. I just stated a fact -- Barrett-Jackson sets the tempo for collector car prices, and this sale will be used as a benchmark going forward.

Can you imagine what this car would have sold for if it had been in correct, #1 condition??

-
Back