Wow, look at this wreck into my back yard today>>>>> more pics added

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i live on a back road, that runs the new main highway, and there is a runaway truck ramp that stops behind my back yard, but 300 ft up the steep mountain..................
well, needless to say, the truck ramp did not do its job and the truck and trailer went over it at over 30 mph. that may not sound like alot, but for a 80,000 lb rig, it is flying..... and failed brakes to boot. truck was hauling boneless meat scraps. 40k lbs of it. once he hit and stopped, all the weight in the trailer ripped through the front of the trailer, and crushed the cab. i got hired by the wrecker company to help pull 700 boxes of meat out of it. no way to get down there other than lowering a ford f150 down, loading thestuff into the bed, and then pulling the truck back up.

if you look in pic 3 4 and 5, you will see my house at the bottom!.
this is the second wreck in less than a year down this same spot.
we have lost half of the trees that blocked us from one comming to our back door. they keep hitting them before the ones we planted can grow!

oh, good news. driver walked away with not a scratch, but got a ticket for comming down the 12 percent grade mountain with a over length rig.
it takes 1 hr to get each load. we did the math and figure 23 more loads to go. it is not easy standing in the back of the trailer, and throwing a rope around a box of frozen meat. someone at the bottom locks box in the rope, then we have to manually pull each box up almost 60ft!. first 10 boxes are not that bad, but it hits you hard, and mucles ache!

ill get more pics tommorw before and after we drag it up

Attachments

• truck wreck day 074.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 631
  • truck wreck day 081.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 605
  • truck wreck day 080.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 628
  • truck wreck day 079.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 619
  • truck wreck day 078.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 616
  • truck wreck day 077.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 629
  • truck wreck day 076.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 624
  • truck wreck day 075.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 625
that is insane!!! pretty good use of the F150 that's clever....glad he didn't hit your home!

kersplat, love the name!!!!!!!!! nah, they will do nothing to it until a few get killed on it like the other wreck zone that was next to my old house i use to rent

that is rte 58 west into carroll county. it is in patrick county

They all look almost the same, up there I always like driving HWY 52

Must have made a loud impact when it hit.

Always wondered about those truck ramps....When I lived in AZ I saw a family having a picnic at the base of one of them near Globe.

Always wondered about those truck ramps....When I lived in AZ I saw a family having a picnic at the base of one of them near Globe.

Brave family or just stupid. I have seen what these ramps look like when a truck is a runaway and a driver has to take one.

There are or were a couple around here, and I can remember tracks up them. Is or was one on the "Bonners Ferry" (Idaho) hill, but that highway has been completely reworked, and used to be one on the "old" "Lewiston hill" (Idaho) but I haven't been down there in YEARS

When I was pretty young we had some sort of Saturday event down in Moscow for the band/ orchestra, and we were on one of our larger buses heading "down." The "goat trail" to Moscow was no fun, highway 95.

The driver just happened to be our own route driver, a no-- nonsense guy who was a mechanic. I was way in the back, as asleep as I could get on one of those things, when, suddenly, he revved that thing to the "nuts", went down a gear, and I thought for sure that engine was gonna come undone!!!

He got' er stopped, and it turns out that a rear brake drum had BROKEN where the main drum part meets the front face.

My dad, who worked at the local NAPA, told me "someone had turned it out too far."

otr, yes, this road runs right into 52 up in hillsville va. near galax.

i was working in the garage on the f 100 truck bed, and i thought either a plane crashed or we just got bombed. that is how loud it was

...nah, they will do nothing to it until a few get killed on it like the other wreck zone that was next to my old house i use to rent
dude, you need to seriously look into the method you use to choose a place to live :thumblef:

:D

well, really, we do not even hear the trucks comming down the mountain, even in the winter, as they are up alot higher than us!.

here it sits one day later..... still pulling meat packages up. got another day at least before we can pull the rig out

Attachments

• truck wreck day 2 002.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 278
  • truck wreck day 2 003.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 286
  • truck wreck day 2 004.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 283
  • truck wreck day 2 005.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 277
by-product meats. not edible. good for dog food

-
Back