WOW UPS WOW!!

-

cudamike13

cudamike13
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an anti-swaybar for sale.
UPS wants $50.00 to package it, $300.00 to ship !!!
That's way too much.

Package it yourself. I hope your not going to a pack n mail place to have them do it for you, because that's not UPS it's a retail store. I have shipped complete A body rear framerails with leaf spring mounts on them from TX to Minnesota for $95 per framerail. I pack it myself, and go directly to the UPS terminal to ship

Shipping from all has gone way WAY up. "It's a racket" If I didn't know better, and I don't, I'd say it's a racket. Mafica. "The outfit."

Create a UPS, FedEx and/or USPS account and prepay directly, Package it yourself, attach shipping label, drop it off, get a receipt (do this every time) and skip a ton of BS and save monies.

You can ship Greyhound for cheaper for big things.

I have also found that shipping via Ebay is cheaper. You could arrange a listing for the buyer, a make offer sale, list is it sky high and let him offer agreed price, accept the offer and use their shipping rates. You will have to pay the selling and shipping tax at 9 percent, but I am sure you can work that out with the buyer.

That bar shouldn't cost more than $50-$60 to ship UPS if you package it yourself and take it directly to the terminal.

When i sell factory A, B, E, body sway bars, i "sandwich" the bar between two large cardboard pieces, then staple the whole perimeter of the package shut.
I use FEDEX, and it's never cost more than $35.00 to send one out to any of my customers.

Last edited:
I just shipped some wheels from IN to WA. If you can, do it all online with the sizing and then just google "UPS discount codes" and try discount codes until you get it down in price. Works great

Thanks for some good ideas !
Btw, it was a UPS owned store in Ellijay Ga. Nearest location to me. (I'm really out in the sticks).

When i sell factory A, B, E, body sway bars, i "sandwich" the bar between two large cardboard pieces, the staple the whole perimeter of the package shut.
I use FEDEX, and it's never cost more than $35.00 to send one out to any of my customers.

This is important because they will charge you for "unboxed" items.

Price it on the web site, box it your self and take it to a distribution center. By the way USPS is always cheaper and less likely to be damaged in delivery

I retired from the Postal Service 2 yrs ago.
I worked in a Processing and Distribution Center near Atlanta. You wouldn't believe the stuff I saw there.Machines out of wack and eating mail. ETC.
I was an ET and it was without a doubt the best job I ever had !

Always box stuff yourself. Go from there. Shipping has got nuts. Maybe due to fewer planes running, I dont it. Diesel at a record low, unless you are talking 1960!!

Package them in a box like a flat panel tv, I discovered there is an up charge for non retangular packaging

Fedex account gave me the best rates but sometimes is was opposite, maybe address? I remember shipping to a residential address was a premium. Ship it to the guy at his work. UPS has a flat rate based on cubic inches, up to 70 lbs. Only available only and pre-printing the label. works great for heads that wont fit in a USPS flat rate.

By the way USPS is always cheaper
Haven't done any recent, but large items I have always done better with UPS than USPS. Smalls though - definitely cheapest options USPS. None of them are cheap anymore though.

Heck Fed X and / will take the package sometimes to the Post Office for final delivery!!! LOL

Shipping is a deal killer around here, I got 4 pairs of rear wheels I cant get less than half price for , because of shipping cost being so hi .

People back East have so many people, parts, plus rusted out cars only good for parts, and real swaps meets right there! Shipping is beginning to be deal breakers all the time.
We all want everything for nothing!! People want to buy done cars for 25 cents on the dollar.

Thanks for some good ideas !
Btw, it was a UPS owned store in Ellijay Ga. Nearest location to me. (I'm really out in the sticks).

Mike...is Murphy any closer than Ellijay? It didn't seem like it was that far between there and your place when I came that day. Don't know if it would make a difference or not.

-
Back