Wrecking yard 8.76

-

myotherboat

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1971 dodge truck 8.75 from a local yard for $450. It came with brakes and everything. I noticed one wheel wouldn’t turn when I bought but figured it was E brake or just seized from sitting in the weeds for god knows how many years. Long story short. I noticed that the brake drum is bent. Wondering what the chances are I have a bent housing. I’m new on here just finally building my 1970 duster I’ve had for 20 years. Specs on 8.75- 741 case with 3.23 gears from turning and counting

So it sounds like it’s not a big deal. I am going to shorten it to A body specs. I’m just getting back into this and more than a bit rusty.

It sounds like you got the drum off since you're able to turn and count.
You can check for housing bend a couple of ways. First, use a straightedge along the axle tube, both along the top (er, bottom--trucks are spring-over) and along the back. If it lays flat as you move it side-to-side, you're probably good.
You can take it further by making marks on the axle tubes, say 5" and 24" from the housing end. Hold a straightedge between a marked spot atop the axle housing and another atop the backing plate (so your measurment location is consistent). Measure the distance from the tube to the straightedge at each of your marks, best done with a square resting on the axle tube. Do the same on the other side and compare measurements (you only need to compare the 5" to each other, and the 24" to each other). Doing the same thing with the back of the "cover" would tell you if you've got any fore/aft bending.
If the backing plates are visibly damaged or loose, you can do the same thing using the housing ends instead once the backing plates and axles are out. The measurements themselves don't really matter, just the consistency between them. There is going to be some variance for sure, but I'd bet you're OK. Even if the truck was dropped on the drum, most of the impact energy was absorbed by the suspension. If it did bend, it probably did it between the U-bolts and shock plates, which might not matter a'tall once it's narrowed.

I’m actually going to get that drum off here in an hour and start checking it. I will read this a couple more times when I get home and out in the shop. Thank you sir. Over the years I got ahold of a 340. Originally a slant 6 car but I want to start here at the rear and work my way up. It’ll be a learning process and am exited to get started. I really appreciate any info and advice I can get.

-
Back