Wrist pin retainers.

-

aaronk785

Reaction score
Which is better. Stock wire type or snap ring. 2316 pistons. I have both. Wire type came with new pistons. Snap ring type where on old pistons also 2316. The old saw 7000 rpm and some nitrous and never failed. Never had experience with wire type. Thanks.

Which is better. Stock wire type or snap ring. 2316 pistons. I have both. Wire type came with new pistons. Snap ring type where on old pistons also 2316. The old saw 7000 rpm and some nitrous and never failed. Never had experience with wire type. Thanks.
Check the cross sectional shape of the groove in the piston. The retaining ring has to match that shape. Also, if you're using the Tru Arc type ring, the flat side with the sharp edge goes out.

Check the cross sectional shape of the groove in the piston. The retaining ring has to match that shape. Also, if you're using the Tru Arc type ring, the flat side with the sharp edge goes out.
I like the True Arc type best myself, the snap ring next and the wire retainer the least. My 273 pistons came with the wire retainers and no issues yet. (knock on wood)

Whatever retainer that holds pressure on the pin is best, if it isn't on the pin then the pin can bang on the retainer, possibly wear the groove out.

My RaceTec's have wire locks. Always preferred Tru-Arc but they have fallen out if favor with many builders.

I hate Spirolocs but thats me.

WLs are the strongest & least likely to fail in my opinion.

I used the wire locks that came with the pistons. After reading up on them the concept made perfect sense.

-
Back