WTB 3.55 gears for an 8 1/4

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are looking to go the cheap route on this...Look at your local parts trader for folks selling Jeep XJ (Cherokee) YJ (Older Wrangler) or TJ (Newer Wrangler) 8.25 gears. They are the same as your 8.25. I find them all the time locally for around $50 a set. Look at the wear pattern, and the vehicle they came off of...you should be able to find the fairly cheap. BTW, most Jeeps with automatics came with 3.55 gears...and most people with bigger tires need lower gears.

Good Luck!
Clint S

yeah, i saw those on ebay, i was looking for a good used set, or a cheap new set. I've tried locally but cant find much

dusterboy15, if you had the pinion i would consider, however i do not want to mix two that werent originally together, i think i might be asking for trouble with the different wear patterns.

If you're getting ring and pinion gears from a Jeep, make sure you get them from a pre-'97 Jeep. All post '96 Jeeps have 29 spline axels while the pre 97's have 27 splines which are the same as our A-body 8 1/4 rear ends.

I like the idea of using gears from another vehicle but what is the concern if the ring and pinion are only being used. The axles are not going into the ring and pinion. Just the center section. I am trying to find a grand cherokee with rear disks brakes and hopefully adapt to my 71 dodge. I have heard of this happening before. Will this not happen because of the spline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back