-
Status
Not open for further replies.

73SwingerBuild

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
Im looking for a driveshaft for my '73 Dart with an 8-1/4" rear end and an A833 abody four speed. The one i have is about 3" too short. I think it came from a duster or demon with the same drivetrain. Does that make sense?
Looking to buy asap. Let me know what you have.
Thanks.

-Mike

Not sure, i will let that question sit. If you have a minite, can you measure the length so i can compare? That would be very convenient lol.

Does anybody know the length driveshaft needed for the application? I'm not sure if these numbers are available anywhere online. Thanks.

-Mike

From everything I've read, I believe the 904 was shorter than the A833/727 transmission, so I will actually need the one Badart has shortened. I will need to do some more research and measure the one I have.

Well i measured from the center or the front ujoint to the center of the rear one and came up with 49". Seems to me like i would need it to be about 3" longer, making it a 52" driveshaft. Anybody have one of these kicking around?

Based on a conversation with Barracudakid, I ran some measurements. My existing driveshaft (49") just barely slips off of the transmission output shaft, not engaging any splines at all. The yoke is about 7" long, with about 2" at the end not having any splines to engage the transmission. It is also suggested that 1" of play be left on the yoke to account for variations in suspensions geometry throughout the range of motion.

This leaves 4" of splined surface area that is needed on the transmission. If my numbers are correct, I will need a driveshaft that is approximately 52" to 53" long from U-joint center to U-joint center.

Please PM me if you have a drivehshaft within this range. I am looking to start the car next week and would really like to see it move lol.
Thanks again all.

-Mike

I will double check mine again this afternoon. My 51" measurement was in the dark, so it may be a little off.

I got a 52 1/2" driveshaft out of a 78 Volare 6cyl. Im assuming it had a 904 trans with a 7 1/4" rear.

Located in 11783

to measure the driveshaft length you need slide the yoke into the transmission tto the proper depth (you should see a witness mark where the seal rides) do NOT install it all the way in it needs room for suspension movement!!! then measure for the center of the u joint to the center of the U joint saddles on the rearend yoke

Thanks Badart. I appreciate the effort anyways.

Waggin, I will remeasure tonight after removing the front yoke, but I think I'm pretty close. I left 1" (as recommended) of end movement on the splines so that the yoke is not completely in the transmission, but I will check for that witness mark. That's a good idea.
Thanks all.

I am in Hartford, CT

I have 51" from a 75 Duster 225 auto
also have other lengths

the 727 and 833 take a different yoke which can be changed with the u-joints.

Large or small u-joint which do you need for the rear end?

not sure on 8 1/4's

Joel

I remeasured and came up with 52.25" driveshaft needed. I am reaching out to MiradaMegaCab now, since his 52.5" unit should fit perfect. I'm willing to push the yoke in the extra 1/4", as it still leaves me with plenty of wiggle room.
Thanks for all of the responses.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back