WTF did I do

-

ranman

Reaction score
I swaped in a 3.55 in place of a 2.73 It revs up higher on the freeway and melts the tires with ease..but somthing went wrong and i started over charging, enough to burn a wire. It was a red wire from my head lt switch to the ign. switch, i replaced it, end to end. so now the parking lights stay on all of the time, I can disconnect the head light plug, still stay on, the ign plug, still on, the turn sig. plug, still on, if i unplug everything except the battery they still stay on. Help me please someone. I'm ripping my hair out, and I ain't got a lot of hair to begin with
ranman 1970 dart
Its good to have mopar friends

The park lamps get their power from a fuse. The headlight switch only turns them off/on. I suspect you have more wires melted together than you have found.
There is only 1 screw holding the fuse box in place and its very close to the headlight switch too so a wiring diagram and in that area is where I would start.

I must add that its more likely that a short circuit caused the melt down and maybe a brief overcharge state, rather than overcharging causing the meltdown of a particular circuit.

And it doesn't have anything to do with changing the gears.
Two completely different subjects.

check fusible link, near wirewall connectors and brake light switch (on brake pedal lever).
I had same problem, brake light switch came loose and battery empthiet over night.

If you have any loose wires under dash/under hood fix and check them.
cheap multimeter is really good tool to locate electrical gremlings.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w2974/overview/
for example.

A: is where fusible link check that area for burned wires.

B: there you can see some loose wires witch should be covered.

This picture is taken at the time when i did rebuild my wiring, good thing to do if old wiring is starting to go.

there is really good quides/links on FABO to rebuild/improve wiring

Attachments

• johdot.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 283
The only way that could happen (increase in RPM due to gear change) is a voltage regulator problem. Measure battery voltage while increasing engine speed. If it goes much past 14v, something is wrong in regulator circuit.

The light problem is something else wrong in changing switch.

Check the top of your fuse box too. I once was in there screwing around and a penny fell onto the top shorting things out and of course I couldn't see it. It drove me nuts cause it flopped around causing things to short intermittently.

With the help of some pretty smart guys I was able to tract down some major problems and make a decent repair, Im still going to need a under dash wire loom. But I'm poor so it'll have to wait. So thanks redfish,peelow,cudajim, kitcarelson trailbeast. you guys got me back in the fight
roll on brothers
p.s. no where i can get a under dash loom free or cheep/

Yank it apart and see if you can fix it!!!! I've done that a couple of times (back in the 70's) and we didn't have the internet, either.

You can download a free shop manual right on this site

Pull the harness out, and tie/ nail it down to your bench/ plywood. Cut / untape the wires, using "spot tape" at branches to preserve wire routing, then you can have at it.

Which harness do you need? I'm going to be stripping out a 70 dart in the next few days. It's an a/c car though

-
Back