Wtf?????

-

72swinger83

Reaction score
So I have a 2005 Dodge Ram regular cab shortbed HEMI, and was driving on the interstate yesterday at 70 miles an hour with the cruise on, and all of a sudden the cruise shuts off, and the check engine light comes on, and is still on, out of no where, anybody have any thoughts? or has this happened to anybody? The truck has low miles, i think it has about 65,000 or so, kinda miffed
Thanks
Frank

My first thought is oxygen sensor. Hook up to a reader and see which codes the computer is showing.

My Ram used to have that problem. It was a throttle position sensor or some similarly named item. It will probably reset after you shut it off and restart it a few times. However, if it is that, you will see it start happening more and more often. If the light is still on, take it and have the code read.

I agree O2 sensor. They are usually good for approx 60k. You may have 2 on your truck. A code reader will tell you which one.

Let us know what you come up with.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Why would an o2 sensor cause the cruise to shut off?

I can see TPS, throttle position sensor, giving you a check indian light and shutting off the cruize but not an o2 sensor.

Swing into the nearest auto parts store and have them put the tester on for free and check the code.
I don't know if the TPS is integrated into the gas pedal or under the hood hooked to the other end of the throttle cable.

You can buy a OBDII code reader at wal*mart for $100 or you can get a decent one on ebay for $150.

Make sure your gas cap is on tight. I've seen that happen before. The TPS could very well be the culprit also, it should be a $20-40 part at your local auto shop.

Why would an o2 sensor cause the cruise to shut off?

My theory is that a bad sensor can causing the computer to go into a "limp home" mode indicated by the "Check Engine" light being illuminated...This would shut down the cruise control to "protect" the engine, etc.

Again, just a theory....

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I agree with bkbond12, check your gas cap to see if it`s on tight and if it`s holding pressure. That happened twice on my 2003. Also check to see if you have any vacuum lines with cracked ends too, that seems to be commonplace among these trucks and a regular complaint that will cause the light to come on.

you should be able to cycle the key to read the codes. you can get the codes @ allpar.com
turn the key into the run position, not crank pos. turn off-run-off-run. your codes will display thru the odometer milage.

TPS sounds reasonable to me. My 1991 Honda Accord used to do the same thing. It was the speed sensor. Not sure if the Ram has one of those...

i work at a mopar dealership and im on the tech site and mostly all of the dtc's are saying its more than likely a speed sensor. anything else happen with it or did the cruise just shut off and that was it? kinda hard to diagnose a vehicle over the internet.lol

</B>

no it was just that, rolling down the highway at 70 and the cruise just shuts off, and check engine light goes off, i set up an appointment at the local dodge dealership and the day of the appointment the check engine light goes off, and a day or two ago, the check engine light comes back on, so i dont know weather to wait for it to go out again or stake it in

Thank you for all the input as well
Frank

As stupid as it sounds, check your gas cap. My 98 Ram lit up the check engine light for no apparent reason, went to Autozone and they scanned it for free.
The code read had something to to with the tank not being sealed good enough. New gas cap, no more problems.

Hey, this is why you should drive an A-body everyday to work.

no it was just that, rolling down the highway at 70 and the cruise just shuts off, and check engine light goes off, i set up an appointment at the local dodge dealership and the day of the appointment the check engine light goes off, and a day or two ago, the check engine light comes back on, so i dont know weather to wait for it to go out again or stake it in

Thank you for all the input as well
Frank

Should be able to pull a code from memory as long as it hasn't had time to clear the monitors.

I tend to agree with 74dusterkid. The cruise control gets its input from the rear speed sensor. Its's a magnetic sensor thats on the rear diff. You should have a ABS light come on also because it's also the rear ABS sensor. A lot of times the tip of the magnet gets a lot of metal shavings on it from ring and pinion wear. Sometimes you can pull it out and wipe it off and it will work. Of course while your under there first check for road debris damage to the harness. Hope this helps.

-
Back