WTH Are These ?

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are these 2 whatchamacallit plug things above the freeze plug a sign that an engine has been rebuilt?

I don't recall seeing these from the factory before :scratch:

Attachments

• Tranny Removal 5-27-12 027 (Small).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 344
Those are overheating discs. Lots of shops and engine remanufacturers use them. They are usually on engines from places like Autozone, too. They have a soft center that melts at a relatively low temperature, leaving a hole in the disc telling whomever that the engine was overheated. That usually voids any warranty.

very interesting SS, i had no idea. ive seen them before and often wondered myself. great info !

:thumbup: Xlnt info StrokerScamp.....kind of what I was thinkin', but I wanted to ask here to be sure.

Thank U

Those are overheating discs. Lots of shops and engine remanufacturers use them. They are usually on engines from places like Autozone, too. They have a soft center that melts at a relatively low temperature, leaving a hole in the disc telling whomever that the engine was overheated. That usually voids any warranty.

Good to know, I got these on a 360 I picked up and it is supposedly rebuilt. I thought they may be rebuild tags. Thanx.

So that's what they are. I have them on the EQ magnum heads that I installed on my car.

Yup. Direct from Mopar remans always had them too. If the plug melts out, it means it was overheated.

Now I'm wondering why there are 2 different plugs/discs.....?

Why wouldn't they both be they same? Are they designed for different heat ranges or :dontknow:

No they are located in a few spots like the block and the heads to cover the rebuilders butt on warranty claims.

I dont know why there are two DIFFERENT ones....usually what you see is like one on each side of the block and one on the end of each head. Maybe they ran out of the same kind? Who knows?

Yea some junkyards use em to, Like you say to see if the engine was overheated, For the warrarnty

-
Back