WTH? Engine won't turn over after transmission install....

-

Brandt Fonda

Reaction score
Yeah this post.... spoiler it's fixed now, another spoiler I have really no true understanding why the motor locked up. There may be a lesson in here somewhere...
I just got my engine back from the builder and started the install: Got the engine in place and moved to: inspection cover, flywheel, Mcleod RST twin disc clutch, quick time bell housing, and A833 transmission.

The transmission would not fully seat by hand or repeated curse words. So I ran back thru what was different from last time. New crank (Eagle), lightweight flywheel from brewers along with pilot bearing and ARP bolts. And instead of a centerforce clutch I opted for the Mcleod. I pulled the trans back out and did some measurements and everything checked out: plenty of depth for the input shaft and the pilot bearing size was correct as well. So I did what many might do in that situation I ran the transmission up the last little bit with the bolts..... Pleased with my work, I went back to readying the engine. I went to turn the engine over to get to TDC and it was locked down, wouldn't budge, what the hell? A day later and it was fixed but I don't know why the fix fixed it.... so I am making this post in hopes someone benefits from my mistakes and that maybe someone can explain why the "fix" worked lol.

What happened: Motor locked down after transmission and clutch install. Free spinning transmission in neutral with no driveshaft installed.
What I did and checked: removed: trans, bellhousing, clutch and flywheel. Checked interference with bolts thru flywheel to crank flange on engine block verified clutch assembly and torque, no problems with bell housing clearance. Started reassembly, at each point I checked engine rotation and it was normal. I re-checked depth for input shaft to make sure it was not binding on the crankshaft, I checked disc splines on the input shaft all good. WTH? one turny thing attached to another turny thing...plenty of room but no turny. Why the resistance to seating? Depth good, discs good, maybe just a bit snug on pilot bearing. Perhaps its compressing air, as the input shaft sleeves into the bearing, I remember thinking, yeah just run it up with the bolts theres plenty of room.... so I did and yep the engine bound up again.
So I decided to install the clutch fork and linkage and press the clutch. VOILA! I tried turning the engine and it moved freely. Why did that work? Everything from the crank and flywheel to the tail shaft of the trans should have been able to rotate... please excuse my ignorance, why did that bind up the rotation? If anybody is searching for locked up engine after transmission install I hope this helps you.

Remember kids: Never use the bolts to pull the transmission up,
make sure the flywheel bolts aren't to long and don't contact the block,
ensure proper depth for input shaft,
ensure proper pilot bearing vs transmission input shaft size,
check clearance of flywheel and clutch to bellhousing,
make sure transmission turns freely prior to install. And after install transmission is in neutral or if in gear it's not attached to rearend via driveshaft.
Make sure input shaft collar is not contacting clutch components,
and in my case: Simply exercise the clutch after install.

If You had the Clutch Disk in a bind. (Off-Center)... Idunno how you got the Input Shaft to go Thru it and still mate up with the Pilot Bearing?
Bell-Housing Must also be Centered to the Crank before you stab the Gearbox into it or you'll have bad vibes and then bad bearings...

Bell Indi.jpg

So yur saying it's working correctly now ........ right?

Did you dial-indicate the BH for concentricity?
yeah it's not binding anymore. I did not dial-indicate the bell housing, it is a quicktime bellhousing that I have used with this transmission in the past, I probably should have tho.

If You had the Clutch Disk in a bind. (Off-Center)... Idunno how you got the Input Shaft to go Thru it and still mate up with the Pilot Bearing?
Bell-Housing Must also be Centered to the Crank before you stab the Gearbox into it or you'll have bad vibes and then bad bearings...

View attachment 1716098154
yeah I should have done exactly that. I put studs in each of the mounting holes on the bellhousing in order to ensure proper alignment.
With this clutch assembly there are two discs and that crappy plastic line up tool doesn't really cut it. Maybe one was in a bind and that caused the lock up I really don't know.

Alot of us use a Real Input Shaft instead of the Plastic Thing to set the Clutch...

Not sure I am buying this. Some gearboxes, and I don't know if it's because of the detents/ interlocks, you can end up in reverse and some forward gear. I actually used to do that installing a gearbox, because I could wiggle the box and the input shaft would wiggle with it to encourage spline engagement.

A833s have interlocks that when assembled correctly, prevents that.

However
A833s have very large brake cones and the brass can be forced to stick on one, and the trans then shifted into another gear, leaving her in a situation in the which, she seems to be in two gears at the same time.

-
Back