WWII Pic of my Dad

-
Thank you Mike for sharing. You look very much like your father too.

I'm so glad to hear that your uncle Robert had taken you in and treated you like family. He sounds like a great man. Time well spent is more valuable then gold.

My uncle Robert was a great man of men to me, I sure miss our times we spent together, I spent more time with him then I did anyone, even up till I was 45 years old when he past.
Thank you Joe. Bless you bro.

I got a little shook up and posted in the wrong thread earlier.
I guess I have not thought of uncle Robert in a long time and let it get the best of me. Sorry, I am better know :happy10:

My Grandpa was in WWII as a signal man. He was on Normandy setting up communications 3 days after the initial front.
Looking at Grandpas discharge papers he was in the following battles and Campaigns.
Normandy, Norther France, Rhineland, Central Europe.
Looks like he was over there 2 years and 29 days with the MOS of 097.

While he was doing that my Grandma went to Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin and welded US Navy ships in support of the war effort.
Here is Grandma at the shipyard in her welding leathers.

IMG00030-20090813-1840.jpg

IMG00031-20090813-1842.jpg

Both of them are no longer here. Life is short, spend as much time with your family and relatives as you can and pass the stories on.

I just wanted to say that I mentioned that I had this picture to a member here who is presently serving in the Marine Corps. and he had asked if I would post it. Well here you go my friend and God Bless! You know who you are. :)

The imagery here is powerful. To those who feel conflicted, please understand the political evil of which was being fought at the time. So far everyone has been respectful, let's keep it that way.

I also want to thank all those who have posted and shared their stories. Without these brave men and their deeds of heroism, this world would have been a very, very different place.

Please know that I understand the politics of WW2 and was in no way intending disrespect to the men who served. Why I felt conflicted was due to the feeling of gung-ho'ness I felt and saw everyone else feeling the same thing and realizing how tragic war actually is. All those soldiers with wives, children and parents on both sides had to kill or be killed and thats a terrible terrible thing to have had to endure. It is a double edged sword-you fight to defeat an aggressor but end up losing something in the process. The veterans deserve respect for dong incredible things under shocking circumstances.

I guess I have not thought of uncle Robert in a long time and let it get the best of me. Sorry, I am better know :happy10:

No worries Bro! These pics brought up strong memories for me too. I haven't seen them in years and just dug them out last week. Rather than let it make me sad last night as thumbed through them, I drew strength from them as my present struggles look minuscule compared to what they went through. :)

Please know that I understand the politics of WW2 and was in no way intending disrespect to the men who served. Why I felt conflicted was due to the feeling of gung-ho'ness I felt and saw everyone else feeling the same thing and realizing how tragic war actually is. All those soldiers with wives, children and parents on both sides had to kill or be killed and thats a terrible terrible thing to have had to endure. It is a double edged sword-you fight to defeat an aggressor but end up losing something in the process. The veterans deserve respect for dong incredible things under shocking circumstances.

No worries Brewil! I just want to keep this thread respectful.

Great pictures AnotherA!! Your grandmother was a striking woman. It's amazing the sacrifices that those at home made to make sure that we had the materiel's need to win that war.

rosie-image51.jpg

One side of my grandparents worked for Jones & Laughlin Steel in Pittsburgh during WW II. My grandmother was an overhead crane operator. You would never have guessed by looking at her.

One side of my grandparents worked for Jones & Laughlin Steel in Pittsburgh during WW II. My grandmother was an overhead crane operator. You would never have guessed by looking at her.

Great stuff Fish! My Mom told me of saving bacon grease during the war. They would come and pick it up and use it to make explosives.

Great pictures AnotherA!! Your grandmother was a striking woman. It's amazing the sacrifices that those at home made to make sure that we had the materiel's need to win that war.

I'm sure she would appreciate the compliment.

Those at home supported the war effort like none other.

My dad was to young for WW2 or Korea.
My mom's dad had a missing finger so he couldn't go,but he did help build
ships for WW2.

Here's a picture of my wife's dad with his P-47 Thunderbolt from WW2.

seSacHap.jpg

seSacHap.jpg

My dad was to young for WW2 or Korea.
My mom's dad had a missing finger so he couldn't go,but he did help build
ships for WW2.

Here's a picture of my wife's dad with his P-47 Thunderbolt from WW2.

View attachment 93407

That is your father in law norshor? I was at the airplane muesuem in Fargo a week ago and we were flipping through a book that had airplane nose art in it and we seen a pic of that plane, the wife thought that that pic was awesome!!

My Dad graduated high school in 1943, 3 days later he was in boot camp training in the Army.

He ended up in Europe, was a member of the 740th Railroad Operation Battalion, where, while off duty, he was sleeping in a railcar turned bunk when it was hit by a German Buzz Bomb. He remembers waking to someone pulling him out of the devastated, burning car to safety. he had a concussion, some broken bones, and some lost teeth, but survived. He was the ONLY survivor of those sleeping in the rail car.

He has a German Luger pistol that will be mine when he passes. It has always amazed me, the gun. But I cannot to this day get out of him the circumstances he came to possess that gun, although he has all the legal papers signed by his chain of command.

FF

thats some great pictures, crazy to think what people have had to go through for this country. My grandpas brother was killed in WWII in a bomber, I believe he said it was a B-17?, thats all he will tell me about it. I understand, and have great respect for those people.

My dad was in the Marines he was in Japan for WWII he was at the bottom of the hill where the Marines raised the flag on Japan. He died from bone cancer which he got from the atomic bomb fallout. But he acutally lived till 2001. He was 75 years old. The cancer finally put him down just 2 weeks before he died. Man he had some stories. He taught me everything I know about life and cars and hunting basically how to be man. I still miss him everyday. The last morning was the worst. He called me at work and told me he would be dead before Church time which was 10:30. I got to his bedside at 9:00 and acutally held him while he died. I do know for a fact he was saved and accepted Christ several years before he died. So even though we are apart now we will be back together one day.

My dad was in the Marines he was in Japan for WWII he was at the bottom of the hill where the Marines raised the flag on Japan. He died from bone cancer which he got from the atomic bomb fallout. But he acutally lived till 2001. He was 75 years old. The cancer finally put him down just 2 weeks before he died. Man he had some stories. He taught me everything I know about life and cars and hunting basically how to be man. I still miss him everyday. The last morning was the worst. He called me at work and told me he would be dead before Church time which was 10:30. I got to his bedside at 9:00 and acutally held him while he died. I do know for a fact he was saved and accepted Christ several years before he died. So even though we are apart now we will be back together one day.

Thank you for sharing duckbuster, You was blest to have him in your life and I bet he was a great man to have around sounds like.:happy10:
God Bless you for being a great son to a father.

My dad and his identical twin brother were drafted into the Army right out of HS for WWII. My dad had taken some test, (was an excellent typist), and actually could have had a desk job throughout the war. His twin could not pass the test, so he chose to stay with his brother and fight the war side by side. They were both in the same outfit in the south pacific campagn. He is 85 now and has 2 purple hearts. Survived a shot to the head, and has shrapnal that still surfaces after all these yrs.

My grandpa was in WW11 i dont have any of his pics here with me or i would post them...but i still remember he always had his green army duffle with his uniforms and stuff in the house...and kept his boots nice and clean...i joined the army back in 2005
this first pic is me right after i got my combat patch..im standing in are motorpool
combat patch.jpg
this one is me holding a tank round
bb.jpg

combat patch.jpg

bb.jpg

-
Back