X head question

-

gtsdude

Reaction score
Pulled the X heads off my 340 to get them set up for new springs, while I have them off I am going to clean up the bowls a little, here is a pic of one intake bowl, do these look like factory cut from the valve seat into the bowl?

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 274
Yes that looks stock. just clean up the lower cut into the casting.......unless your going to do a valve job.

yes, that looks factory when they cut a 2.02 seat into an as cast 1.88 head. All X heads got the 2.02, but I bet a donut that all 360 heads look the same once you get 1/4" under the valve seat. You can do a bowl blend with a cutter, just open up the bowl to match the seat and taper it down about 1/2" into the bowl. You can also clean up that awful valve guide boss, especially on the exhaust side, make it more of a tapered cone than a block.

If your interested in doing it yourself, I have a couple of videos in my "low budget 318 build" that would be relevant to what you could do in the bowl area. Bowl clean-up would really help take advantage of the bigger valves.

that looks better than stock, and very shiny for a 45 year old head, I see 4 angles, I don't think stock had that many

If your interested in doing it yourself, I have a couple of videos in my "low budget 318 build" that would be relevant to what you could do in the bowl area. Bowl clean-up would really help take advantage of the bigger valves.

Yeah I read through your thread, actually it got me thinking about doing the heads myself once I got this far. I already started on the exhaust, they have hardened seats and a step left in the bowl, those are getting blended in as well. The painted part is what's left to grind off this exhaust bowl to get the hardened seat blended in, then I will open up the rest of the bowl.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 159
That intake bowl is not stock.

Looks like somebody ran a 75deg bowlhog in there and left about 3/16" of the orig.
bottom cut, nuttin' wrong wit dat !

Looks like somebody ran a 75deg bowlhog in there and left about 3/16" of the orig.
bottom cut, nuttin' wrong wit dat !

I thought that it looked different to me as well. I will just blend in the cut line and smooth out the valve guide area, saves me a little grinding.

-
Back