xe285 vs voodoo405

-

carkindaguy

Reaction score
i m going to be switching out to a little bigger cam this winter and want to see what you guys think would be the better choice. the xe285 or the biggest of the voodoo series hyd flat tapped.

la360
holley ultra dp 750
eddy airgap
hughes cnc ported eddy heads, 2.08 intake 1.60 exh
hughes roller rockers
10:5.1
kb pistons
eagle rods
411 gears
tti headers
xpipe
28 inch tire
street/strip

They are so similar that you may have to get into lobe/ramp design to find any meaningful difference. I'm gonna call it a wash, especially on a street strip car, although i suspect better then 50% would choose the Lunati.
Bigger question may be, do you have the proper converter to take advantage of either one?

Why bother with a hydraulic fla tappet when you have heads that will support so much more than either one of these cams can deliver?

I would go solid, flat or roller.

But given a choice between the 2 I would go with the Voodoo. I have had nothing but great success with that cam.

im going to be getting a good converter between 3000 and 4000 stall.
iwould use a roller but i only have the budget for a quick cam swap. i cant afford to do a bunch more right now.

X2,on the solid.Your heads ,could use more cam.You would pick up ,20 to 30 H.P. minimum,with a solid flat tappet.

Not with the Hughes rockers.Depending on mileage,3,4 times a year.These are not 273 rockers,cams are much easier to deal with nowadays.The real question:can you deal with that?

but wouldnt i have to set valves every two weeks?

That's the most extreme "old wives tale" I've heard about solid cams. Even the old stock engines ran for yrs. sometimes without setting the valves. And today's tight lash cams don't require as much maint. as the older cams.

I'm running a Racer Brown solid in my 408 and so far have only had to set it once a year. I don't race it at the track much but I drive it pretty hard 2000-2500 miles per yr. I'm out in the country so I'm lucky to have a few decent places to open it up and it see's the upper 5000's quite often.

Another thing I get the feeling of is how everyone makes such a big deal about setting valves. It's not like were rebuilding a transmission. I can do mine in about 1 hr.

That's the most extreme "old wives tale" I've heard about solid cams. Even the old stock engines ran for yrs. sometimes without setting the valves. And today's tight lash cams don't require as much maint. as the older cams.

I'm running a Racer Brown solid in my 408 and so far have only had to set it once a year. I don't race it at the track much but I drive it pretty hard 2000-2500 miles per yr. I'm out in the country so I'm lucky to have a few decent places to open it up and it see's the upper 5000's quite often.

Another thing I get the feeling of is how everyone makes such a big deal about setting valves. It's not like were rebuilding a transmission. I can do mine in about 1 hr.
x2 fishy,i set mine after (actually check them) 3 or 4 times to the track.

It the valvetrain is stable, once the basic break in is done you shouldn't have to adjust them at all. It is, however, a very good practice to check the lash at least once a year if it's a street car, or every event if a car is raced. If you find you have to keep adjusting and re-adjusting, there's a good bet there's something wrong with the valvetrain setup.

I have customers that check their valves every year and report back to me that they basically check them, but rarely ever have to reset them. And when they do, they are only off by .001-.002" Hell thats nothing to even worry about.

They are so similar that you may have to get into lobe/ramp design to find any meaningful difference. I'm gonna call it a wash, especially on a street strip car, although i suspect better then 50% would choose the Lunati.
Bigger question may be, do you have the proper converter to take advantage of either one?

Don't get upset. I never said that you need a solid. Just was curious what converter you have? What cam are you using now? A big hyd. may be plenty of upgrade for you.

the two hyd cams you where asking about would both be great choices and dont leave that much on the table to solids. ramps are very much like a solid but do require even stiffer springs do to heaver lifters

The 30200917 is a good cam but the Lunati 30200741 will get you a broader power band and they kick some serious ***. It will make about 25 hp/tq more than the 30200917 We are a Lunati dealer ;) And a site Sponsor:supz:

Cool Mike,just a guess on my part.Sounds like ,you have run more than a few newer Lunati's.

They are the best off the shelf cams on the market. Heck they are even better than most of the "custom" cams out there. I love them.

ok so the lunati 30200741 looks like a good match for my setup. ill be run ning a stall in the 3000-4000 range and 411 gears. what kinda power you guys think i can make with that cam, my poted 2.08 eddy heads???

Better get a video of that thing running I'm sure it will sound like a monster...

550hp. We have a few engines out there with the Hughes CNC ported RPM heads making well over 600hp, one is in the 650-675 range! You know who you are(ed)

-
Back