XP-47H Hemibolt

-

Burntorange70

Reaction score
Yep it's got a Hemi. The XP-47H was the test bed for the Chrysler built inline V-16. Basicly two V8's bolted together. It was of a Hemi design and the father of the later pass car Hemis.

Here is an in work pic of a model I am building of the Hemibolt.

Attachments

• 100_5612.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 253
Cool Model, So will you show it after it is finished?

Thanks Reb. Ya I will put some more pics up when I am done. Am also doing a review on it for Modelingmadness.com

Cool.. Looks like you probably build lots of models.

Attachments

• P7110057.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 207
The Hemibolt is done. Did a review for this one. Should be up on Modelingmadness.com in a week or two. Will put up a link when it comes out.

Attachments

• 100_5614.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 185
Well where is the pic of the V16 Hemi?

This is the only pic of the motor I could find.

http://www.neam.org/inventory/engprofile.asp?IDURL:

The Republic XP-47H was a recipient and test bed for the Chrysler IV-2220 inverted vee 16 cylinder engine. A latecomer to the US’s “Hyper Engine” program, it fared no better than the other designs…..even those that showed promise were rapidly overtaken by the jet engine.
Nonetheless, it was a very interesting design, basically two V-8’s mated together. It had commendably small frontal area but was monstrous in length at nearly 10 ½ ft. (similar displacement Rolls Royce Griffons were only about 6ft long.) Interestingly, power take-off for the reduction gear came from the center of the engine, as did the supercharger and accessories drives. This substantially reduced torsional twist in the crankshaft. Single overhead camshafts operated two valves per cylinder in a hemispherical combustion chamber. It was the first of Chryslers “Hemi” engines.
Unfortunately, while the airframe certainly looked potent…the long engine giving the Thunderbolt streamlining it never had before….the engine was not up to par yet. Its power at that stage of development apparently fell short of the desired 2500hp and the aircraft only managed about 414mph. Stock Thunderbolts could do better, and with the advent of the jet engine showing so much more promise, the Army was no longer interested. The potential in the engine was evident, and had the jet engine failed, this may have been the shape of things to come.

-
Back