Yall Seen This Yet?

-
i have a 904 and having loaded it in and out of the truck several times this past weekend (somebody buy this damn thing, please) i can say with a level of modest certainty that a 4L60 is a bit porky-er-er.

they mention a custom bell, so that takes the probability of major of surgery off the table but i'd wager to guess there's still a fair amount of pounding to fit and painting to match along with requisite swearwords.

Since with a junkyard transmission you'd still need to get SST's (Keisler's) bellhousing, flexplate, tailshaft housing and output shaft (for speedometer drive capability), linkage, and electronic shift controllers anyway; you'd most likely be close to SST's cost once you figure in that it's a fresh transmission (with a warranty) with your choice of convertor stall.
Maybe, but we still don’t know how much this kit cost. It could be $7K+ with todays prices. It’s all speculation until then.

Wish I could drop that kinda cash on a transmission, but probably won’t be in my future. I’d like to see a write up though, maybe there is a junk yard option?
@Professor Fate has it right. the cake all cuts the same way once you start to figure in the adapter, torque converter, controller, core charges and any needed rebuilding and upgrades.

if you were building something fairly gonzo-- say upgraded shaft, billet drum, shift kit, etx with an SFI bell then you're in brie time baby when the easy button for the kit is gorgonzola.

the aftermarket support for the 200 & L60 is vast, but the pricing for things such as good torque converters, shift kits and controllers remains fairly consistent, and that constant is premium prices for premium products-- but at least there's more options.

Maybe, but we still don’t know how much this kit cost. It could be $7K+ with todays prices. It’s all speculation until then.
True- and I'm still not interested enough to have SST work up a price for me just to find out. Six grand (minimum) buys a lot of other stuff that's a higher priority.

@Professor Fate has it right. the cake all cuts the same way once you start to figure in the adapter, torque converter, controller, core charges and any needed rebuilding and upgrades.

if you were building something fairly gonzo-- say upgraded shaft, billet drum, shift kit, etx with an SFI bell then you're in brie time baby when the easy button for the kit is gorgonzola.

the aftermarket support for the 200 & L60 is vast, but the pricing for things such as good torque converters, shift kits and controllers remains fairly consistent, and that constant is premium prices for premium products-- but at least there's more options.
And if you've already got a sorted out transmission, a Gear Vendor's OD is only $3200, plus a driveshaft... and it results in a 6 speed transmission, not a four.

Last edited:
I've got a bead on a non-lockup 46rh that I'll likely be picking up in a few weeks on my next work trip down to Fresno.

Did you find anything you needed there?
I pulled the cable kickdown from that van for the 65, I’m still up in the air on what transmission I’m going with, but collecting parts for the automatic since I actually have that trans.

I wonder if they'll throw a wobbly if you have a 360 or a stroker based on a 360?

Oh my, I have been thinking to much, sorry about my crazy way of looking at things Rob.

30% less drag sold me, so it takes 20 less hp to run this trans ? So my , ah..ah.. say 200 hp 318 that has 160 at the rear tires will now have say near 180 to the rear tires ?
Probably, yeah. That's how I read it.

The kit price for the A42 transmission I linked to is going to be around $4000 from a Facebook post I was reading.

That makes it much more realistic for most, and more competitive with the gearvendors od.
IF what I saw is accurate. I guess we'll have to wait and see. The figure I saw was actually $3750, but I think that's gotta be low. I guess we'll find out.

imma call BS on that number.

how could they come in under what basically was the same kit from damn near 15 years ago?

while that number would be competitive, i just don't see it as realistic if it's a complete kit-- which i don't see mention of a mount in the description.

for instance, a quick google-fu turns up a spec built 4L60 from monster at 3500-ish. and some back of the bar room napkin math puts a built out 42/46 RE in DIY land in the 3K realm-- although with a butcher's party.

if that's really the number though, they'd have my attention and likely many others.

I gave up looking for it, but I thought the transmission crossmember needed a notch at the front for the 4L60/65. I know the 200R4 does.

If so, while the floor itself might not need to be cut, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a bolt in for an A-Body.

FYI.

I gave up looking for it, but I thought the transmission crossmember needed a notch at the front for the 4L60/65. I know the 200R4 does.

If so, while the floor itself might not need to be cut, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a bolt in for an A-Body.

FYI.
Yeah, even though it states "No tunnel cutting required", it also says "This is a basic builder's kit, cutting and/or fabrication will be required for installation".

I wonder if they'll throw a wobbly if you have a 360 or a stroker based on a 360?
Quote came back for me at $5,600 plus freight.

The only thing that sticks out is that the transmission mount will definitely need re-working in my case.

imma call BS on that number.

how could they come in under what basically was the same kit from damn near 15 years ago?

while that number would be competitive, i just don't see it as realistic if it's a complete kit-- which i don't see mention of a mount in the description.

for instance, a quick google-fu turns up a spec built 4L60 from monster at 3500-ish. and some back of the bar room napkin math puts a built out 42/46 RE in DIY land in the 3K realm-- although with a butcher's party.

if that's really the number though, they'd have my attention and likely many others.
Well I DID see it on the internet. LMAO

Quote came back for me at $5,600 plus freight.

The only thing that sticks out is that the transmission mount will definitely need re-working in my case.
That sounds like a real world price.

It's weird too....when I do a search on "A41 transmission" I get results that say it's a 4L60E derivative and that it's a Keisler transmission.

for what you're getting i think that's a fairly competitive price. no bones that it's a chunk of change, but if you were gonna johnny cash that you'd be damn close to that number by the time the llamas got home from the bar if you were accounting for any of your time.

for what you're getting i think that's a fairly competitive price. no bones that it's a chunk of change, but if you were gonna johnny cash that you'd be damn close to that number by the time the llamas got home from the bar if you were accounting for any of your time.
Could you do it all yourself for less money? I'm not sure you could. The only advantage I see is that rather than biting off the whole chunk at once, you could pay as you go.

Could you do it all yourself for less money? I'm not sure you could. The only advantage I see is that rather than biting off the whole chunk at once, you could pay as you go.
Which is a reality for a lot of us, myself included. I can’t afford to drop $6k in one swoop, but over a few year span it’s a possibility.

-
Back