Yeah, The Flex-Pipe Doesn't Work...

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
'65 273 with a terribly cobbled together 1 3/4" Y-Pipe had to go...
I cut the Y-Pipe when I pulled the Motor for Last Spring's Freshen-Up.
I reused about 8" of the down pipe to make a cobbled together 2" Dual Exhaust
with 1 3/4" FlexPipe to a 1 3/4"-2" Reducer to fit onto the 2" GlassPack.
The FlexPipe Leaks Everywhere!
Should I have 2" Pipe all the way to the Manifolds? Or is the 1 3/4" output pretty standard?
This is a 2bbl car, probably shouldn't even have Dual Exhaust.
But does a 2" DownPipe Exist? Anyone have a couple old ones?
Not sure the proper term, just need a few inches of what bolts onto the collector at the end of the manifolds
and I can cobble the rest with a mig. (Pics of terrible exhaust for effect)

Exh.jpg

Exh2.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO

You might have better exhaust performance with a properly sized single exhaust than a dual on the 2bbl.
From AccurateLTD.com (Accurate Exhaust) website for A Bodies. Note pipe sizes, the Y pipe is the same for all (I BELIEVE) since you are only putting 1/2 of the flow through each side of the pipe.

(See option menu for applications)-A-Body HiPo Exhaust Syste
1671291915307.png

CAY6774-63-74 A Body 273-318 Complete Exhaust System
1671291982339.png

They also have a dual exhaust option.

-1967-74 A Body Exhaust Systems (Small Block)

1671292360849.png

and if you can use the 340/360 manifolds

1671292420257.png

IMHO

You might have better exhaust performance with a properly sized single exhaust than a dual on the 2bbl.
From AccurateLTD.com (Accurate Exhaust) website for A Bodies. Note pipe sizes, the Y pipe is the same for all (I BELIEVE) since you are only putting 1/2 of the flow through each side of the pipe.

The "Y" pipes are very different, the HP "Y" ends in a 2.5 in pipe while the std 273 "Y" ends in 1 7/8 ?, and you can only look at 64-66 A body Plymouths. The width and the drivers side exhaust manifold is different than later cars. Flex pipe is also horrible for flow.

Just make some templates out of cardboard to show the shape of the pipe you need and have a local exhaust shop bend them up and weld on the proper flanges to mate to your manifolds. Ideally you want the ID of the pipe to match the ID of the manifold outlet for at least 12-18" back to keep the velocity and scavenging up. Yes there is still some scavenging with manifolds just a lot less than headers and it's more sensitive to the pipe coming off the manifold.

Just richen the carb up for a few hours; it will soot up the pipes until they stop leaking, lol. After they are more or less sealed, you lean it out again........ lol.
That worked for me in about 1975.

-
Back