YeeHaw...Just got my "Collector" plates...

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Hey all...I'm a happy camper today! I just got "Collector" plates for my Dart! Now I can drive it all year around,'cept to work, and I get full insurance coverage for $200/year. :headbang: :wav: :wav: :blob:

congratulations 65Val. I have yet to get collector Plates.
Are they the same as antique plates. I would assume they are.
Do not let anyone steel them.Use some thing that would be hard to take off.
My trailer plate's got stole one time and know they are riveted on.
Enjoy 65Val. :headbang:

Mike...yes, similar. Antique plates are a bit more restrictive than Collector...cant drive after dark or before dawn and only in parades and such. They are also for the real old cars...20's and 30's, etc.

Thanks. Now I can drive her on those rare,warm,dry,winter days too.!

No problem with the plate stealing...the car is in a locked garage when its sleeping...another rule to follow to get the plates.

Collector plates are nice to have. Here in Minnesota you can register old plates as colletor plates. I have a mint NOS set of 1974 MN plates for my 1974 Satellite, I like the vintage look!

In Michigan you can register a plate from the year your car was built for, I believe $65 and its good for as long as you own your car. Yes for once there's a good deal for the car guys!

65Val, what insurance company do you have? I'm not sure if you can only have your government insurance company for something like that or not.

woah i didn't know u could cut down on ins. by having different plates...i have a set of collector plates(came with car) how does all fo this work how do i get them so i can use em and such, and what kinda restrictions are they the same for antique plates?

Here in BC there is really only one insurance provider..
ICBC

Insurance Corperation of British columbia.. yadda yadda.
you can get a different insurance but as i understand you have to have the basic insurnace thru ICBC. and your extras can go thru your privete. which generally doesnt really save you anything..

66dartwagon.. you have to meet certain requirements i believe. here in bc there is a regirous set of requirements that need to be met before they hand collector plates out. like a certain amount of the car has to be original and cant be modified..

Can someone confirm this. i cant remember them all.

In Colorado you can get collector plates if your vehicle is 25 years old or older. They are relatively cheap (I paid $120 I think) and are good for six years and are renewable. There is a one time emission test and once you pass that, you can do whatever you like. There are no driving restrictions. Check and see if your DMV has a website, as every state is different.

I don't think your insurance company will give you a break based on the plates alone, but if you have a daily driver, you can ask them what their rates are for a "recreational use" vehicle.

Here in NY your collector car must be over 25 yrs. old and it must be a special interest car. If my car was a 318 instead of a 340 I don't think it would have been possible to insure as a collector car. You also must have a primary car registered to you and the collector car is a limited use vehicle. I'm insured through Hagerty.

I pay more for my registration than my insurance...for now. Once it comes home from the bodyshop and it's re-assembled I'm insuring it for the maximun. Plus it lives in a locked garage and never get's left anywhere out of my sight.

Collector plates in Minnesota cost $32.50, as far as I know the only way you can get insurance any cheaper is to have collector car insurance. Any old car can be insured, muscle car or not. I got the plates because then I don't have to buy tabs anymore. I can only put around 3,000 miles a year also.

Here in BC for collector status your car has to be 100% original, no mags, no after market stereo, nothing different from the way it came. I have it on my TR, it's a great deal. A freind has the antique plates on his 38 Plymouth, it's something crazy like $30 a year, but like 65Val said it has a lot of restrictions, parades, shows or to take it to your mechanic, he can drive it to my place and I talk to him about painting it for him :toothy7:

when I bought my Dart last year, my wifes 86 Must GT was sitting in the garage for the past 10 years (2nd owner, 58000 orig miles) she wanted it back on the road before I started the Dart. I attmepted to get Classic tags for it but the state of PA wouldn't issue one because you can see the lifted paint (Ford mid 80's crap) so they wouldn't issue. My insurance company able to give me classic status since it's not a daily driver. It's runs $ 150. yr., about half of what the normal cost would be. I did have to "prove" to them that I have other vehicles to drive, which since they insure two more you would think I shouldn't have had to "prove" it but I guess maybe they thought the other two I have insured regularly were'nt being driven. The Dart will get classic tags when it's done.

Dave

I get Early American plates for my cars. It cost a little more to register but I save on my yearly Property tax. No restriction other then the car needs to be 25 years or older I think.

Ours is the same, 25 years old+ unless it was a very low production car, less than 1500? made that year, something like that. Needless to say there really isn't much that fits that criteria. The car has to be in very good stock condition and here to you have to have at least one other car with full insurance.

Wow, when I got mine they never asked one single question about my car. It is a 1974 Satellite Sebring Plus, stock looking but has a mean 340 in it. Never asked if it was nice or if it was stock or modified! I have seen collector plates on some pretty rough cars here in MN!

I think you have to take your car in and have it actually looked at before you can get it now. You only had to submit a bunch of pictures previously and we all know how pictures can lie, you can just shoot a little rattle can paint over your rusty area and the picture probably won't catch it, so we too had some pretty crappy looking cars with collector plates. It must be nice if you can get collector plates on anything that is old enough and not have all sorts of restrictions.

I'm in the process of getting Collector plates for my Scamp. I sent in the photos they requested last Fall and, not surprisingly, they shot me down. I have an aftermarket radio, and while I suspected they would reject me, I thought I'd try. So they said I had three options:

1) Document that the radio in the car is era correct
2) Remove existing radio and install a blanking plate
3) Install original radio

Well, I wouldn't be able to prove #1 and #2 wasn't going to work since it would look like crap. So #3 won and I bought an original AM/FM radio (cost me more then what I could buy a am/fm/cd/mp3 player for) and located an uncut radio bezel. Now I just need to get the car out of the body shop to install the radio and bezel, snap a picture and then wait for the approval. Aside from having to take it thru Aircare and pissing away $50 (you guys on the Island are lucky!) I should be good to go! At least it only has to go thru aircare once when you first get the Collector plates.

Yeah it's a hassle all right but it's worth it for the el-cheapo insurance.

In Wisconsin your car has to be 20 yrs. old for collector
plates. About $120.00 bucks the first time. There good for the
rest of it's life. As long as you own it. Antique plates have to
be over 30 yrs old I belive. You can transfer the collector
plates 1 time.

Sounds like alot of states (and Canada) make it tough! Denied for a different radio and lifting paint? WOW! Gimme a freaking break!

In MD, all you have to do is fill out a form (no pics) and check 1 of 3 boxes:

1. "This vehicle is 20 calendar years or older and has not been substantially altered, remodeled, or re-manufactured from it's original construction". (stock car) $51/2 years

2. "This vehicle is 25 calendar years or older and HAS been substantially altered,from the manufacturers original design". (ie street rod) $51/2 years

3. "This vehicle is 60 calendar years or older and has not been substantially altered, remodeled, or re-manufactured from it's original construction". With option 3, you can now get a PERMANENT registration for a 1 time fee of $50, and you never have to re-pay for registration again!

For all 3 options you can also get "year or manufacture" plates and add them to your registration for $25 (one time fee)

The only place you may get into having to provide pics is for your insurance company, but that's it.

-
Back