yet another 7 1/4 to 8 3/4 swap post (but you'll want to read it anyway)

-

37fleetwood

Reaction score
Ok, there is an advantage growing up being the kid of the guy with 50 Mopars in his back yard!
I have been reading all the rear end swap threads and decided to go out and check a few things out for myself. I went over to my Dad's and made some measurements and here are the preliminary results.
8 3/4" A-body flange to flange approx. 52"
7 1/4" A-body flange to flange approx. 53"
we've heard this before right? how about this:
1962-64 8 3/4" B-body flange to flange approx. 53" (1965 B-body may be the same without the tapered axles)
I plan on bringing one over and seeing how hard it would be to change it over to the newer slip on drum axles and brakes. if it can be done using all OEM parts I'll make a list of the parts used.
Heck, I may even consider using the tapered axles if I have to, it sure would be an easy swap!

Interesting discovery. Question came to mind, spring perch measurements the same for the B? If it isn't they're a lot easeir to move than cutting down the housing. Thanks, JB

spring perches are going to be 44" on the early B-bodies vs. 43" on the A-bodies. this amounts to 1" overall and my guess is that there's probably that much variation in the actual width's you'll find out there and the springs will swing over 1/2" each without changing much in ride and wear characteristics.

just my opinion,having just installed a b body rear into redhot's new ride 67 dart gt...we moved the perches to where they belong...it's worth the effort...first off tire clearance with backspaced wheels ...you don't want em rubbin on your springs do ya? second off....putting front and rear spring bushings in a bind...it'll wear them out pretty quick....third off springs in a bind....they were designed to work a certain way under jounce and rebound...do it how ya wan't but there's my opinion

-
Back