yet another Altenator wiring question.. need help

-

demon700

Reaction score
I did some searching, and couldn't find a whole lot. I have changed my ignition system from points to electronic, and pulled my slant 6 for a v8. This picture shows the two wires on the back of the altenator, and I am wondering where they go. I have a simple diagram, put it just shows them going to the ignition box/regulator. Does anyone have a any info thats a little more specific? When I put the new ignition system in, did I have to alter my altenator wires? heres the pic that shows the two wires
wires015.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yup. Dark blue comes from "ignition run" which supplies the ignition (non green) terminal on the regulator, the "key side" of the ignition ballast, the elctric choke if used, and the blue at your alternator.

Green goes back to the regulator

Here's a simplified diagram:

pic2.gif

Thats great guys thanks! So would I have tied these wires in while doing the ignition swap? I can't remember exactly what I cut and spliced now, and its only been a couple of months. Thanks again, I can't wait to hook up the new altenator now, car goes to the alignment shop on tuesday, then going for exhaust and on the road, hopefully by end of august!

scratch that last post, if i had taken a better look at the drawing i would have seen exactly what was done. Thanks again for the help!

alright, so I checked this today, and the blue wire and the black wire (battery stud on altenator) are wired to the center bulkhead connector, which looks like it is supposed to be by the diagram, but the green wire which went to the old regulator plug, was cut off when the electronic ignition went in, so it isn't run to anything. Where should this go, I have a 5th wire on the new regulator, but the instruction said it isn't used. Any suggestions?

Are you confusing the ecu and voltage regulator? Just putting electronic ign. In won't effect your alt wiring. Charging and ign. Systems are really two different systems. That pic is from my car. It is running a dual fld charging system. Are you running a dual or single fld alt and regulator?

here is how a dual fld set up is wired. the wire i have colored is the one you have to ad if switching from single to dual fld. if your already wired for dual fld then this is how it should look...

new0regulator2.jpg

this may be easier to understand. dotted lines are single fld wires.. and they are wiring in a dual fld system.

latealt.JPG

this is a dual fld regulator..

regulator.gif

and this is a dual fld alt..

note: it has three wires going to it.. 2 fld wires and the battery wire.

wires015.jpg

this is a single fld regulator..

VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-CHRYSLER-MARINE-STUDEBAKER-VOLVO-140--for-sale_230627867992.jpg

and here is a single fld alt.

note: only two wires go to it... the fld. wire and the battery wire..

128306-200-0.jpg

Sorry guys, I was very confused, and a light bulb just went off and things are clearer. It is a dual field set up, and I think my problem is in my voltage regulator. Thanks again

-
Back