yoke change 489 case w/o disassembling

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
anybody did this here before? Is there a way to find out the actual Torque the nut has on the yoke? I know it has a crush sleeve. Don't want to crush it more because of over tightening.

YOU CAN MARK THE PINION NUT AND COUNT THE TURNS WHEN REMOVING IT BUT THAT IS NOT ALWAY ACCURATE BECAUSE THE NEW PINION MAY BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THICKNESS AND BY TIGHTENING THE NUT BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SPOT IT MY BE TO LOOSE OR TO TIGHT.
ALSO SO THERE IS NO REAL TORQUE SPEC LIKE 310 FT LBS. THEY MEASURE THE TORQUE BY THE AMOUNT OF INCH POUNDS IT TAKES TO TURN THE PINION NUT WITH NO RING GEAR INSTALLED AND JUST A LITTLE OIL ON THE PINION BEARINGS.
IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO A FEEL YOU WILL KNOW IF IT'S TO TIGHT BECAUSE OF HOW HARD IT IS TO TURN BY HAND. YOU COULD TRY MEASURING IT WITH A TORQUE WRENCH BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT AND THEM SLOWLY TIGHTEN IT UNTIL YOUR TORQUE READING IS THE SAME. I USE AN OLD BEAM TYPE INCH POUND TORQUE WRENCH FOR THIS NOT A CLICK TYPE WRENCH

yes, thats what i want to try. But in our metric world i have never seen a beam type torque wrench. So i do use a click type and start with 100 ft/lbs and add 5 and add 5 and add five until the nut starts moving. So that will be my torque setting for later. what do you think?

IF IT WAS A NEW REAR AND NO RING GEAR YOU ARE ONLY LOOKING AT 14-19 INCH LBS TO TURN THE PINION GEAR ON IT'S OWN A CLICK TYPE IS GOING TO BE HARD TO DO MAYBE A LOCAL PARTS STORE STILL HAS ONE TO RENT BECAUSE YOU WOULD BE DEALING WITH INCH LBS ON JUST THE PINION BUT THE WHOLE JACK POT WITH AXLES AND NO BRAKE DRUMS AND WHEELS AND TIRES YOU COULD BE LOOKING AT 40-50 FT LBS AS A GUESS AND FINDING A BEAM TYPE TORQUE WRENCH IN FT LBS IS A LOT EASIER TO DO. BUT YOUR IDEA SHOULD WORK BUT IT JUST GOING TO TAKE ALOT OF TIME TO GET IT RIGHT.

If you know the "feel" you can do it with an impact. If the dimensions are even slightly different from the new to the old, thread counts won't tell you squat. I've even added a very thin shim to reuse a crush sleeve before. You'll know if the sleeve has been over crushed because the bearings will get tight before you ever put any real torque on the nut. Crush sleeves do have a certain amount of spring to them.

Pull the wheels and brake drums off. Measure in inch pounds what it takes to turn the pinion nut. Mark nut for reference. Tighten pinion nut and stop when you reach the inch pound reading taken before removal. A 0-30 inch pound dial torque wrench works best.

for my understanding: I do NOT block the yoke avoiding to turn? Everything is loose?
I thought I block the axles ( E brake on discs ) or making a tool to block the yoke from rotating to measure the torque of the nut.
Do I understand something wrong?

155_0308_gear_13_z.jpg

you can also use a scale(think fish weighing scale with hook to hang fish) with a 1' bar bolted to yoke and scale on end of bar. You will also be able to "feel" crush sleeve if tightening by hand as it will be much more force to crush. I would tighten it until you feel sleeve and then a 1/16 turn more.

just found this in the I Net.... ( but i think i will use a mix of yours above and this. I definitly don't use what i wanted to use and overtight )

1. check the yoke for the backlash before you take it apart
you can get a good feel for it by rotating back and forth softly .
kind like rocking it.
IF back lash is tight then proceed to next step if loose like more than tight wiggle .
than the rear needs inspection.

2. with a bright light and a pick or finger nail count the threads protruding the pinion nut ( i Change yokes so i must be sure they have 100% the same measurements )

3. record that thread count .

4. zip the nut off with impact gun while holding yoke with your free hand .

5. change seal .

6. clean rust off the threads and put 1-2 drops of red lock tight on the nut threads .
tighten to 175 foot pounds no more ,no less while holding the yoke solid with a pinion holding tool you can make one out of long piece of flat stock so it locks against the frame or ground while you toque the nut.

7. Count the threads if same leave it alone.
less tighten 1/8 turn until same threads show the key is to not over tighten.
If any one who has rebuilt axles knows it takes over 200 ftlbs to start to crush the collar.
IF this is done right no problems will come of it.

-
Back