yolk sizes

-

dallas ward

Reaction score
i need to know how to find out what yolk i have on my 489 center . i need a small one as the rear end in my car is a 7 1/4 rear with im assuming a small yolk , but could use info to be sure , thanks

Measure the width at the inside edges of the yoke where the u joint cap retainers sit.

I don't recall the actual measurements but you can use that for comparison. I'll go out to the garage in a little bit and get you a rough measurement of the two. I'm sure that your 7.25 has small 7260 joints though.

The small yoke is 2" inside and the large yoke is 2.625". The sixe difference should be obvious when looking at them both.

i just picked up a 489 case from ebay and need to know what yolk it is ,, it was supposed to be a small one. i dont have anything to compare it to

Measure your old one. As posted above. Measure the new one.
Most 489 used the big yoke.
If they do not match buy a conversion joint from Napa, Mancini, Breweres etc.
Problem solved.

It should be 2" inside edge to inside edge. That is where the ujoint retainers sit against. Ya know the rings on the caps? The ouside measurement is inconsequential and could vary.

measure across the pinion nut , inside to inside? . its a very little over 2"

Small joint 7260 common to 741 is this your original center?
Measure the new one if it is the same which I doubt, you are good.
If not use a conversion joint.
7260 to 7290

It should be 2" inside edge to inside edge. That is where the ujoint retainers sit against. Ya know the rings on the caps? The ouside measurement is inconsequential and could vary.
i got it now the rings on caps!! retainers . thanks for the info :notworth:

Small joints are way more common than large ones. Only the heavy duty passenger car and police packages got the big joints. Hell even a lot of half ton trucks had small joints in them.

Yes GJ is correct small joints were used in everything, 1 tons till the late 80's used small, the mid and large joints were usually special order or good motor packages, sb's didn't see mids and never large except for military trucks that seen the large.

If you had a 440-6 with a stick you had the mids, 426, mids

-
Back