You can only afford a 50 year old Dodge that isnt maintenance free...

-
29snick.gif

-- Just The Cost Of Playing.
Oh, I'm not complaining, just the opposite! Between an oil change, a carb rebuild, and a few things at the auto store, 5-6 bucks a week is great. I think us old mopar guys have it made by comparison. We can change points or a resistor and be on out way. The Ferrari guys, flatbed, dealer, bucks, bucks, bucks. I could not imagine these guys. It's worse than owning a German car out of warranty. Think Porsche and the $7500 dollar clutch replacement at the dealer.

Oh, I'm not complaining, just the opposite! Between an oil change, a carb rebuild, and a few things at the auto store, 5-6 bucks a week is great. I think us old mopar guys have it made by comparison. We can change points or a resistor and be on out way. The Ferrari guys, flatbed, dealer, bucks, bucks, bucks. I could not imagine these guys. It's worse than owning a German car out of warranty. Think Porsche and the $7500 dollar clutch replacement at the dealer.
Did commercial auto parts a looonngg time. One of my shop customwrs had an old lady customer,who owned a 55 T bird. Drove it 30 plus years,no problems. Decides to sell it,buy a new Audi TT Turbo AWD.... Drove it for two weeks,she smoked the clutch. The estimated repair bill,was well north of that price....OUCH! Warranties,have their merits...

German=lease only! Unless ya got bucks. A genuine Audi replacement auto trans per a Car and Driver article years ago (The "whats it cost to replace" piece at the end of the article) was 5 figures! Thats enough for rebuilding 20 some 904's.

Last edited:
a friend works on the italian rides exclusively at his shop , he was doing a headlight replacement and replacing the horns , had to remove all kinds of body panels . the job was 10k for parts n labor .

Must be great to actually be "rich!"

Did commercial auto parts a looonngg time. One of my shop customwrs had an old lady customer,who owned a 55 T bird. Drove it 30 plus years,no problems. Decides to sell it,buy a new Audi TT Turbo AWD.... Drove it for two weeks,she smoked the clutch. The estimated repair bill,was well north of that price....OUCH! Warranties,have their merits...
Warranties usually dont cover nornal wear and mtx items like clutch discs, brake linings, and belts n hoses. She shoulda kept the T bird

Got 120,000m out of the 72 Dart Custom that only cost me 1100.
Did brake lines, trans, kept up with normal maintenance. Never failed me.
It was bought by another member here and it's still a happy little car, but needs new metal sprayed at it. The original valve cover gasket is still in place.
Changed water pump and fuel pump, but you'd expect that once it twice in 40 years.
That car put my kids through private school.

-
Back