You ever snap the last bolt yebuilding your engine blowing smoke #2

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
Well just as I thought I just pushed the head gasket a smidgen,just enough to make it smoke out the right bank ,#8 farted over the top of the gasket cylinder ring and stretched it enough to smoke , no other damage luckly .
It all came apart nice yesterday , cleaned it all up good , got my gaskets orderd .
its been so humid here , this morning I got a good earley start to stay kewl, so I thought .
every thing went back together good , by noon I had 1 more R Rocker set to bolt down . got to the middle 1 working back and forth , and I'll be Dammed , SNAP , Broke the bolt down in the head . FOK ME every thing was going way to smooth . Take the shaft back off , dammit the bolt broke just right I couldn't get it to turn backwards , luckly it wasnt bottmed out so I could turn it in with the burr but it was broke the wrong way to turn out , but it was loose . It was about a 1/4 of an inch down in the shaft stand . I tried every thing I could think of for an hour =nothing . So I ran down to my engine builder and see what he thought by me telling him its a 71 LA Engine . It broke off in a cone shape sticking up , dayam , so we brain stormed , and mikey went to the drill box took outa 1/8 inch x3" bit , took it to the grinder and ground a left hand spade on the end , he said try this real slow . sure enough ,I got back got out the drill , popped it in and put it in reverse and caught just enough to make itturn backwards like it was hung on a burred thread when it snapped , so I got an sharp pointed wire tester and got ahold of just enough to get it turning back out a smidge at a time , and BAM got it high enough to get my finger and the pick working together to get it high enough to grab with just finger tipps , and out it came . What a relief , I thought I would have to pull the head and take it some wheres where they had a body pin to weld to it to try to reverse it out , other wise I was looking at bad news where ever it lead . Lucky I was working alone and could stay calm and try to outthink the problem . Nice to have friends in Low places . turned into 3 more hours of work , but Bon Scott and BAD MEDICINE Live to ride another night . got it all fired by 7:30 just enough time to fill with coolant , check every thing over and take it out for a SMOKE RUN . Its back just in time for the weekend . Do 1 more show and a couple new race nights there trying at Matt Kenseths Madison International Speedway , racing down the back stretch 3 or 400 feet get a few more street races in and try to make Byron"s 1/4 mile drags or 1 at Joiliett , I"d be happy with what a bad year I had . I"ts collage football season , Time to make some $ andmabee get that 360 roller motor outa my kids Ram and get that built ,or pay 1/2 the price and get a nice LS MOTOR to build Cheap and just keep the 65 Barracuda for My PRIDE RIDE . Buti know we all had these days and they didn't work out so good , so when your having a bad day , KRANK UP THE MUSIC , DIGDEEP AND KEEP THOSE WHEELS A TURNIN . Keep pushn on !!
Thanks evry 1 for helping me Build MOPARS this is what I used to really love to build before I broke my back . see pictures I built this 1 when I was 25 , still my favorite to live in. Tim YOU KNOW THOSE ALBUMBS Buddie ? who doesn't BON SCOTT LIVES
100_2418.JPG
100_2417.JPG

100_2420.JPG

100_2419.JPG

100_2431.JPG

100_1950.JPG

100_1361.JPG

Glad you got it fixed,Winston,...Those bolts,suck ***....

big time they were junk ,but there ready to rock some 1 silly again , did you check out my hot tub room entrance ?? any 1 you know??

What are you torquing the rocker shaft bolts to? 15 pound feet is IT.

big time they were junk ,but there ready to rock some 1 silly again , did you check out my hot tub room entrance ?? any 1 you know??
What are you torquing the rocker shaft bolts to? 15 pound feet is IT.
I was going 20 Rusty tried to get 105 on the heads got 100, turning down timing this time and put in 5800 chip Nothing to prove 6 for 6 kids wanting a shot , but popped it 2 times and mostley stock but motor trans rearend , nothing extreamily wild but the driver

-
Back