You guys running A500/518/ 46R etc OD autos..........?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
You guys running a 727 based OD trans especially, with manually switched TC lock and OD, how long does it take the two functions to engage / release?

I am running the a518 (727) unit. I have the 3 pin plug trans. One has power going to it all the time and the other 2 get earthed when lock up or overdrive is wanted. I don't have a lock up converter but when I flick my switch for my overdrive it takes around 1 second to work. But when I switch it off it takes a while. The speed has to slow right down until it disengages

Great thanks. I almost "thunk" there was something wrong. This is in the project "White Whale III" which will not go into lockup or OD on the computer. No errors that I can find. So I cut the 'puter wires for the two solenoids, and had to install two junk relays from there to the +12 to keep the computer "happy."

Then leaving the +12 to the transmission, I wired the ground side of the relays to two toggles, but as you say it "takes a moment"

This is an RE, not an RH, 2001 Dodge 2500 2WD

I've been thinking of installing an "all manual" valve kit

I've had two A518's in my Dart.
Switched OD with a simple 3-way toggle switch.

First one was OD only, took 1 to 2 seconds to engage OD.
The other A518 had OD+LU, but I had installed a TransGo-kit in it. It went into OD and LU quite a bit faster and crisper.

However I toasted the OD-unit with a wrong transmission filter so had to install my first 518 again.

Release is fairly quick.

When I get time I'm going to check trans pressures. I need to scare up a higher pressure gauge. Old refrigeration manifolds!!!! LOL

-
Back