You know you're in trouble when

-

73NorthernDuste

Reaction score
Man sometimes I really have to wonder.....Went into my local Chrysler dealership and asked the guy behind the parts counter (who's been there forever) for a water pump gasket for a 360 LA engine.....The guy looks a me like I have two heads and asks what's an LA...I know it's been since 1992 but come on. I said a pre-magnum 360 anything from 1960 to 1992 all the 318/360's are the same. So he goes looking through the computer and to my surprise the part is no longer serviced.

How many millions of 318/360's did Chrysler make in those 32 years and they no longer service a water pump gasket...My frustration builds. So I go to my local Napa, Canadian Tire, Car Quest, no one has one. Man I hate living in Canada sometimes I could probably to to any parts store in the US and get one in a heart beat. I finally convinced the guy at one store to give me one out of a reman water pump box and he said he would order the new gasket to put in the box...ARRRGGGHH.

Ok my vent is over... I hope. If I can't get this water pump to seal up I may have a little melt down...

i had to special order lifters from autobone and it took 3 days to get them.!~~~for a run of the mill 318

Your frustrations might just be the beginning. I deal with one of the Napa's in Spokane. The manager has told me that he was informed by one of the higher ups that there is a lot of talk floating around about the end of paper books. All it will take for a part to go away is for some clown to transpose a digit when the books are getting phased out........

Its not all that fantastic in the US, at least around here. Nobody stocks Mopar stuff. I tend to stock up on things like intake gaskets when I see them hanging in the racks because they only order one at a time. It is what it is, just gotta plan ahead.

Its not all that fantastic in the US, at least around here. Nobody stocks Mopar stuff. I tend to stock up on things like intake gaskets when I see them hanging in the racks because they only order one at a time. It is what it is, just gotta plan ahead.
Either that or buy the gasket material and make them up when you need to. Which is what I've done in the past when I needed a gasket and the stores were closed.

Everytime I walk in to Autozone for a part for my 92 cummins truck I get nothing half the time they dont now what Im talking about

............and so many manufacturers do a REALLY poor job of

putting catalogs online at all............

putting them online ONLY so you cannot save them

or it's some HUGE pdf (or other format) that hogs so much processor and memory that they barely function. Hell this thing is an Intel Core i5 and about 4 gigs of ram. There is no earthly reason why it should bog on some lousy website.

Where I used to work, we hoarded old cataloges, and had copies back into the FORTIES and sometimes EARLIER. Back in those days, some of the miners / loggers were still using "G.I." stuff for jammers and winches so sometimes this paid off.

And many modern computer lookups are REALLY poor. The writers of that software should realize that a customer may be "off" a year, or that there might be an early/ late, and it was OFTEN "real handy" to be able to flip forward/ back a page and compare part no.s

Hell folks, The 2 O'Really by me only stock (1) LA small block water pump gasket each. They have been out of stock for 6 weeks, I went to Car Quest and that's an even bigger joke. All of the manufacturers to the parts houses have been trying to do away with catalogs for the longest time. In my dealings with most of the ASSHATS behind the counter, my opinion about them is; "If it doesn't show up in the computer, we don't handle it". It's a joke to try and deal with these clowns, and unfortunately the area supervisors and managers continue to let it happen.

I guess I'm still lucky. I have a NAPA, Car Quest and a Auto Value in town.
I have known must of the guys behind the counter for years. Two of them
for over 30. Guess I'm showing my age. I will not go to those stupid chain
stores. Only if i have to. About all I get is paint and a part they can't f***
up. Otherwise you are doing this.:banghead:

Nah, all they know is what the computer tells them. They don't know jack. For instance; called local Fla dealer, needing a 70 right bank piston. He found one in Pennsilvania. Called them- nope; said Fl computer shows you have it. Hold on, 5 mins on hold. He went back to the dusty shelves, and found it; last one left in the whole USA.

They are lazy butts- go away, I'm due for break.

Went in to local auto store and they had a water pump gasket for dads 67 273 right in stock! Couldnt believe it...went back the next day for throttle linkage clips...no go...went around the block to napa and they had a great selection for 50 cents apiece...I bought eight of them LOL

Drove 3-1/2 hours to pull home a 71 Duster. Planning ahead, took tires with air, lugnuts, jack etc. When we get there the front is sitting on a couple of blocks. Go to put the wheels on, and WTF? - left hand thread! Those in the know say impossible, I said FIRETRUCK!. Off to the small town Canadian Tire figuring I am going to have to restud her where she is, and offhand ask the guy behind the counter about the lefties. He pulls out a box with 20 in it. 79 cents each! I tried to buy them all, but he would only sell me 10. As he put it, "someday, someone like yourself is going to need these". All I could do was laugh, and thank him for not selling them all to the guy that bought some before me :)

Grant

-
Back