you put a Boss 429 in that?

-
Yes, the Country Squire wagons were rare enough, much less a Squire Ranchero. I like the woodgrain too. Harkens back to a simpler time.

Seen this in a couple of photo shoots,these pictures don't do it justice.Those early Ranchero's are cool as hell. It's kind of like accepting the 71 -up Charger, after the 68-70 run. Give me a 71-72 Charger anytime.

Yeah, even the 74 and 74 cars are growing on me now. When you see a good example n person it makes a difference.

I gotta say, for the most part that thing looks absolutely incredible.
But take a good long look at the independent rear suspension. What am I missing?
It looks as if it's only a lower A arm, with no upper. Look where the axle appears to meet the hub, it only appears to be supported by 1/4" plate from the lower arm, maybe there's a strut bar we can't see,but even if there is the suspension and wheel would travel an arc like an old VW. I can't believe it wouldn't be a parallelogram type arrangement without both an upper and lower A arm.
It sure as hell doesn't look like it would handle 900HP used in anger (not with that much tire).
Just because we can fabricate doesn't make us engineers.
Maybe I'm just blind?

I'm pretty sure that's a heidts rear kit, inboard brakes and four coilovers, all copied from old jaguar rear ends and very popular with the street rod crowd. But yes I would bet there are better handling and driving options. Even heidts newer rear kits, which look almost identical, have implemented an UCA. I would assume to limit lateral tire scrub on compression.

Yup, after some goooooogling, it's the original heidts superide. Installed as supplied with no mods.

Hey,
Thanks for that info on Heidts.
Being able to see more images, and better angles gives better perspective.

You wanna line up,with this Monster on any terms'on tarmac with your ride?...

Sure, I don't care if it cleans my clock...
Ooooh, your $150,000 dollar toy beat my $4000 toy.
I'm sure if I had that kinda money, I too could pay somebody else to build me one too.
What I couldn't see earlier without looking up Heidt was how the spindles were set up.
And I'm still not too cool on that set-up, with no upper control arm (or the axle acting as...), though it is a bit beefier than what I could see in his pic.

There is a heavier duty version with upper spindle support on their site. Why in the world they didn't use it is anybody's guess. The cost is not much more substantial.

Yeah I always thought Clevelands belonged in Torinos and Rancheros.

I was looking at the other unit too, Rob.
And yes, with as much money is in that, and as much power and tire it has, I would have been looking at the other unit.
But hey, It wasn't my money...

At any rate, it's a cool car.
And i bet you would be the only one in town to have one if you bought it!

That thing is bad a$$, love the woodgrain and something different.

Clevelands in Mavericks have the same header maladies as Mopars. 1K bucks is the starting point. Torinos and Rancheros have headers starting out at 150 bucks.

Clevelands in Mavericks have the same header maladies as Mopars. 1K bucks is the starting point. Torinos and Rancheros have headers starting out at 150 bucks.
Clevelands in Mavericks don't need aftermarket headers. I came as close to dying in the one I put together as I ever got. With 2.88 gears it buried the speedo in second.

Yeah, the 4V exhaust manifolds are massive. A stock bore and stroke Cleveland with the 4V heads will be all over 600 HP with no trouble with the right parts. They were made for it.

-
Back