YOUNG GUNS! Sign In and WIN

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to try keep this to a minimum, otherwise it would take two pages lol. Here is the short story. I am Tate Hanson, 19 years old, now live in Rapid City, South Dakota. I came from Chamberlain, in the central South Dakota area. I am not in a car family, my dad is not a car guy, my grandpa knows how to fix equipment and keep everything on the place running but thats about as far as it goes. Got into cars and motorcycles when I was around 12 or 13 years old. Was always attracted to mopars, I have no idea why. I happened to see the movie vanishing point when I was younger....thats probably what did it. bought my first mopar when I was 14, saved up 400 bucks from my ford dealership car detailing job for a 1972 Dodge Dart four-door, with a 318 and and an automatic. Mufflers and stock air cleaner were the first thing to go. Made some chaos with that car for a couple years until I turned 16 and decided it was time to look for a two door project. I was riding my first bike, a '80 Kawasaki kz550, to my uncles to go work for him for the summer when I passed by a house with the garage door open. I seen the butt of a Duster, and since there was not particularly allot of mopars in the area I had to stop and ask about it. Turns out he was just putting a for sale sign in the window for $2500.00 for a 1974 Plymouth Duster that had bright yellow paint on it. I was in the market, and hell it was the brightest color possible, had a rebuilt 225 slant with a 3-speed manual trans and a nice interior with bucket seats. I was sold but didn't have the cash. I sold my bike and my dart and went down to the bank to take out a loan for the rest, still expensive considering I was working a minimum wage gas station job. Daily drove the Duster with the slant six for my sophomore, junior and small part of my senior year of high school. Joined FABO couple years ago, glad I did, have definitely got enough information out of the members here to donate for the gold member status. Got into allot of trouble with the car even though it only had a six. It made allot of high speed midnight runs for various reasons.....some of which were not entirely great choices now that I think about it....but the past is past. I lost my cousin, who was another mopar A-body guy with his '73 Dodge Dart Swinger, on March 8th 2008. It was a significant change in my life that has given me a different view and perspective on things in this life....whether or not it was for the good or bad still have not figured out yet. I know I had some real problems after his passing and Im afraid if it wasn't for my Duster I might not be here today. I put together a 360 for it most of my junior year and started to drop it in my senior year. I ran the 3-speed manual trans it had and the 7.25 it had since I became broke for building the engine. Got it rumbling six hours before my senior year prom. Graduated high school and after working for the summer moved out to Laramie WY, to go to school at Wyotech. It was the longest time I had ever been separated from my duster...but simply couldn't afford to bring it out there. Completed the auto tech course and ASM to get my self an Associates Degree in Automotive Management. I was planning on taking all the other classes available out there until I found Hot Rod Institute in Rapid City, South Dakota. The school is run by a guy that has done some amazing cars, some here more into Hot Rods/Street Rods might know the name, Doug LaRue. Right now he is my current instructor in sheet metal, great guy. Anyway, I brought my Duster out here a month or so after I got out here and started the tear-down to do the Resto/Mod that I have always wanted to do with the car. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=69342
6569_109516933654_506553654_2110762_1144634_n.jpg

my Duster on the left and my cousin Zane's 73 Swinger
n506553654_67621_7684.jpg

summer of '07
n1499460050_21044_426.jpg

right after I put the stripes on in '07
n506553654_74029_8022.jpg

n506553654_74027_6762.jpg

Ok guys and gals out there on fabo....I will try to keep this as short as I can so I don't bore you all.
My name is Jerrod AKA DusterDude72 I will be 23 on December 17th.

I will start by saying I may not have the most money,or owned as many mopars as some,or won a ton of awards,or been in a magazine.... But I can honestly say that the passion for mopar runs in my jeans and in my veins.

Growing up as a kid, my dad and I got along great....always playing around,goofing off and having fun.....but while most kids dads would sit them on there lab and read them a book or something....My dad would sit me on his lap and show me all the old pictures he had of his mopars and all the paint jobs he did when he was growing up.

When I was 5 or 6 or 7 and so on....I may not have known much of a difference between a duster and a challenger back then but I still had a good time hanging out with my dad and listening to his stories of him and his buddies building there cars...and seeing the pictures of what my dad did with his very own hands and looking at him like "that's amazing,you did that" lol.

So from a very early age, mopar helped bring me and my dad closer in certain ways you could say....and it gave me a passion for cars early on and it taught me early on the self accomplishment gained of doing the work yourself and taking pride in the fact that you made a car what it is by investing your own blood,sweat and tears into.

I still to this day look at the stacks of old pictures my dad saved over the years of his old mopars and wish that I could have my hands on some of his old cars...not only because they were cool.....but because I know that part of my dad went with those cars way back when they sold....because you get attached to these cars...its that simple

I can't help but look at a mopar (sounds corny I know) and think of it as a member of someones family and know that it has a spirit of its own....any mopar owner knows what I am saying when I say that you get a certain feeling when owning/working on your mopar......it will beat you down,bloody your knuckles,and make you want to sell it some times....but after a quick cool down,you head right back out to the garage,rub the dash and apologize and offer that you are willing to give the relationship another go and you ask for a little cooperation is all lol.

I have had MANY hotrods and sports cars...of all different makes and models and I never got the same passion or the same feeling or same sense of accomplishment out of them as I have experienced with my mopars....and not to mention that with the other types of cars,you could drive around town without seeing a dozen cars exactly like you were driving and it really took the fun out of it. Where as with a mopar....you really feel like the " TOP DOG " cruising the street because there isn't that many around compared to other types of cars and everyone looks at you like they just opend up a time capsule from 1970 something and out pops this unbelievable work of art.

I had been looking for just the right project mopar for awhile and I wanted it to be something special...not just a cool mopar for me.

My dad has recently got divorced and has always been a very hard working man and made sure he provided for his family and he has had to go through alot of hard times....Although he smiles and jokes alot....it was rare to see him talk about something that he really seemed to get excited about and that you could see the passion in what he was talking about.

My dad had tons of a and b bodies and so on, but he ALWAYS talked about his plum crazy duster...and when he told me the stories of the things he experienced with that car...I myself really felt the feelings he was describing.

I also had come to be a duster fan over the years and I knew that's what I would like to find....I didn't want to just build a car...I wanted to build memories.
So when I found my 1972 Plymouth duster after searching for so long and it was only 5 miles away...and I found I could get it for only $500.00.......I nabbed it up.

When I told my dad I was buying it....It made me a very happy man to see my grown dad a giggling 17 year old kid again lol.

So I thought it was only fair to invite my dad along for the restore of the duster....I plan on building it almost just like his old duster was...not just because that was his dream car but mine as well.

And better yet....My son who is already a little automotive fan....will be taught the same automotive values as I was growing up and this duster will be his just as much as it is mine and just as much as it is my dads....its a 3 generation duster....and who knows,maybe one day more.

The duster is completely different than when I bought it but I still have alot of work ahead on it before its finished....but I am hoping to have it close to done by next spring or early summer....I have already made alot of good memories with the duster in the time I have had it and I hope to make alot more good memories with it and my family helping.

lets not forget my mopar lady lol....she doesn't do the work on the car but I got the thumbs up approval on plum crazy purple and she already has dibs on driving it when its done....And she has supported me and my love for mopars all along,she has put up with me on the days where I am whipping wrench's across the garage, the days where I am moping around saying man I wish I had the money for this part....she might just pop out and say "ill get it for ya babe" or..."wait until Christmas"....so glad I didn't end up with one of those "well if you didn't spend so much time in the garage" or "when you going to sell that old beat up thing" lol

Myself as well as my hole family see's my dream and my goal and has the ability to in vision the car when its done and after seeing what I have done with vehicles in the passed....they believe in me and know I will make it one sharp ride at some point.

Well everyone,I am sorry for the long story.......It may not be the best....or the coolest......But its mine . And I hope that some of you out there can relate to some of the things I have had to say and maybe it will take you back and give you something to think about.

Sorry if I did not get into to much detail about what has been done to my Duster and what the plans are for it and the options that came with it and so on and so forth.....I mostly wanted to get my story out there rather than just focus on my duster ....I have threads out there with info on it if anyone is interested or you can pm me if you are interested in learning more about my duster.

Below Ill toss in a couple pictures of some mopars I have owned that I have pictures of on my computer. currently I have the Duster and red 97 dodge ram.

I also am into building mopar 4x4's so Ill toss up a picture of a mud ram i helped build and I will toss in a picture of an engine i built to give everyone an idea of the kind of pride I take in detail when working with vehicles......unfortunately,that engine was a non mopar build I did a few years ago....BUT soon enough ill be doing the duster engine and Ill keep everyone posted

AND I figured I would toss this up here for everyone...I was just reading over my story and it really got me thinking of old times and this just hit me like a ton of bricks and made sense.....maybe it will make sense to the rest of you as well! (
Making Our Past A Reality )

l_7a1ad2508c444a4eaee06a6f7834b5f3.jpg

l_435fb0be3f3b4891a2a6f46eb3268fa1.jpg

l_8628bcfc5bfc43df9b00113c9eda9852.jpg

l_c24fab72ef1342e6b306a145ec8416be.jpg

l_fbc53ab56fc94430973a35d5c5e72f12.jpg

l_5633ab909c634c8138d1ad058cf99096.jpg

l_aa90f7f9b4f33aac3bb789b01dc71d88.jpg

l_880814223805a74de59c2ae65704ea5d.jpg

l_6d53304466e34ebcb54169b973013540.jpg

l_b8cfdb9c355242ba8a09afaf1dab6698.jpg

COME ON guys and gals there has got to be more young guns on here lets' let them know just how many I belive there are more on here

shiifty, I think you were reading my mind! Thanks for the bump. :-D

We're still getting awesome prize donations to the Help CudaChick thread. I just updated the list a few minutes ago and already need to do another one -- thanks Ramcharger! I'll get yours on there shortly.

This can't possibly be all the Young Guns' stories yet?? Keep the tales and post links coming by email!

So far, I like the chances of winning.! lol

I agree with you guys though, there has to be more stories!

COME ON! keep this thing alive and growing all the way up until January!

I also think there is more of us out there.....but as said before, Im digging the chances lol.

If worste comes to worste though, if there is not as large of a number come drawing time.....you could always do things a bit different such as.....10 winners and they each gain prizes 10th being the not so coolest/expensive prize and 1st being a really awesome prize?..... or 1st - 3rd or even 1st- 20th.....that way not so many would feel left out....just an opinion of course.

but a 1st - 3rd prize drawing would seem pretty standard and I think would work out nicely.

AND/OR come drawing time......you could put up a poll of the top 20 stories from the young guns and let fabo decide on which stories they liked most and which ones touch home with them in there hearts and let them vote for the top 20 or top 10 or top 3 ?......just a suggestion

you could put up a poll of the top 20 stories from the young guns and let fabo decide on which stories they liked most and which ones touch home with them in there hearts and let them vote for the top 20 or top 10 or top 3 ?......just a suggestion

In trying to keep with CudaChick's suggestion of not responding in this thread, but not being able to help myself, I believe the original idea of a random drawing keeps the contest fair and balanced. Tugging at heart strings and polling the top stories would start politicing on the board through PM's as in "vote for this one" kind of thing. Or "vote for me!"

As of this moment, 8:32 a.m. on October 30, I have 28 confirmed entries who have followed the contest instructions but it sure looks like there's a lot more stories than that -- I haven't counted them lately. Knowing not everyone checks in daily as some of us do, that's why the contest is spread over three months' time. I'm sure as January draws closer more and more will respond.

I appreciate the suggestions DusterDude72. As indicated in my opening post, this may not end in January if there is enough interest in having it continue. (In fact, 65BCODA, one of the generous parties donating to the Prize Package, has already kicked in for two future drawings and offered to continue for another three months after if it keeps going!)

ramenth, you must have been reading my mind last Friday morning as I was writing up the first post. The LAST THING I wanted this contest to turn into was a battle of sob stories (if the prizes went to the 'most deserving') or a voting campaign ("but MY story was much better than so-and-so's"), so having a random drawing seemed to be the most fair.

I didn't want to place myself in a subjective position of having to choose because I knew in advance we'd have some awesome stories posted. Hell, if winning was based on merit, accomplishments to date, wonderful writing abilities, etc., everybody would win! There isn't a bad story in the whole lot in my opinion.

The whole point was to get the Young Guns to share how they got started, show off what they've done and plan/want to do, and get much-deserved recognition for all their hard work so far. And if in that sharing they happen to win a cool prize or get a PM from somebody who it turns out lives around the corner and can help them in their personal efforts as a sort of "Big Hot Rod Brother" (or sister) program, then all the better. Again, this is for THEM because they're the future of this hobby ... if they don't stick with it, we'll all be sorry in the long run.

As a reminder, the Help CudaChick thread is for posting what you'd like to donate to the Prize Package and for any other commentary relating to the contest or a particular Young Gun's story. There's over 80 posts in the story thread ... but only 28 confirmed entries!?!?!

Now back to our regularly-scheduled program. :-D

sorry to post off topic again ...I just wanted to say one more thing and then the thread can go back to what it was originally intended for.

I understand where you are coming from and I respect the rules you have set...I was not trying to under mind you so I hope you did not take it that way, they were just suggestions is all.

The only thing I was curious about (rather I be enrolled in the contest or not) is that I am sure there is many more entries to come in the next few months and with as much has been offered for prizes so far.....it sounds like ONE person will make out pretty good lol.

I was only suggesting that maybe there could be some sort of runner up prize, rather it be to other winners picked at random for runner ups or not.

Anyhow,it was just a suggestion and your the boss of this thread lol.
Do it how you want to and either way we are all still glad to take part I am sure...win or lose

I am 18 years young (of course lol). I have a 65 Barracuda and it is a blessing. It is my anti-bad stuff, I have had it for a little less than a year and it is a work in progress. It needs everything from paint to headliner and a back seat. I am right now rebuilding the 340 in it. New everything but crank, block, and heads. Everything has been either machine or replaced though.
The fender tag code might be helpful.

ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTVWXYZ
30 15 1 2
SQ NUMBER BDY TRM PAINT
106 00114 V89 P4B DD1 D

Decoded:
3=9 variable wiper w/ washer
AB= 30 273 cubic inch v8
D=1 3-speed
E=5 heater w/ defroster
Q=1 a-m music master/economy
Z=2 Front bucket seats and console
SQ=106 January 6 1965
NUMBER=00114 Factory invoice numbers
B=V Valiant (includes Barracuda)
D=8 Barracuda + Taxi
Y=9 Barracuda
T=P premium front bucket seat
R=4 vinyl bucket seats
M=B blue

The line between this next part explains one part over another
ex.
-----
abc
1 is over a, 2 is over b, and 3 is over c

P=Upper body/roof color
----------
D = Medium blue, metallic - C,D,P

A= body color
----------

I=paint style
---------
I=1 mono

N=side sweep color
---------
blank

T=Upper door frame/molding insert color
--------------------

Translates to a triple color blue 1965 Barracuda with a 273 power washer.
It no longer has the 273 or the washers. I got it with a 340 bored .030, Fireball 300 cam, Badger Brand pistons, and some other stuff. As of now I swapping everything but the Cylinder Heads (360 J heads 2.02 in 1.68 out), the cast steel crank, and the block but now the block has been bored .040 over.
I am putting 2k under the hood and it still needs body work. I got a buddy helping me with the rebuild of the motor and is spotting me the money. I am paying him back.
cuda2.jpg

front.jpg

hanging.jpg

lack of back seats
nobackseat.jpg

Painted myself
bay.jpg

Custom Mod by myself
panel1.jpg

Its coming along but help would be great. I don't have a father to help me out and my mom only bought the car and will get me stuff for my birthday other than that its all me.
Its a fun hobby.

MOPAR TO YA!!!!

Oh yeah did I mention that my car is now a nuisance to the great city of Arlington, TX. Mission accomplished. Woohoo!!!

My yahoo email account ([email protected]) hasn't had an emailed entry since October 27. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN FROM THE ENTRANTS WHO SEND ME A LINK TO THEIR POST , not chosen from this thread!!! I'd really hate to see someone's entry get tossed out because of a technicality.

Please refer to the very first post in this thread for complete details on the contest rules.

My yahoo email account ([email protected]) hasn't had an emailed entry since October 27. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN FROM THE ENTRANTS WHO SEND ME A LINK TO THEIR POST , not chosen from this thread!!! I'd really hate to see someone's entry get tossed out because of a technicality.

Please refer to the very first post in this thread for complete details on the contest rules.

I don't remember getting an e-mail or anything back? I sent you a PM about it.

i figured i would give you all some competition lol and i want my valve covers to get all purdy:) so here goes

vroom, vroom, vroommmmmmm screeeeeeeech BAM. i was hit with cupids mopar arrow. we were sitting in my bosses and friends, 68 plymouth fury III 4 door boat with the home built 440/727 3.23 suregrip, behind the local mall with a tail of white bf goodwich smoke and a possee of excited workers with smiles almost as big as the poop skids on the asphault. i was truley in love and have had the infatuation ever since.
my first car was my uncles 64 thunderbird and after about $1000 into it i got tired of owning a furd so i kept working and buying and selling cheap cars and after about 8 cars i finaly got my mopar. it was about the most rick-i-dy old truck ever but had my heart. me and my 65 utline /6 4 speed suregrip gold pick-em-up had some of my favorite times ever. but after going around a corner sideways (which i happened to do a lot lol) and my brother falling out i decided t was time to go ahead and sell it and get something more reliable and mature.now i am on my 12th car and have two of my very own mopars.
i got my 75 d100 4x4 in trade and it is one of the most reliable trucks i have ever drove. but my real pride and joy is my 75 scamp which brought me to this site. my grandparents are really smart with their money and have blessed me and my brother and sister and cousins by sending us to college. outta my college money we decided to get me a project car to learn on and thats where my blondie scamp comes in. i found it at a gypsie used car lot and picked it up for $1200 with what i was told was a bum carb. we pulled the motor and got the oil pan off when we found a handfull of rod and main bearings. so i figured now was a good time to have my '75 cordoba 360 rebuilt and built to roughly 450 horse at the flywheel. along with the 4 speed swap i learned more then i ever could of thought. i am now a firm believer in hands on experience.
in the spring i wil get my assiciotes degree in both auto tech and auto body repair from L.C.C.C. and will hopefully be starting a small busisness out of my bosses auto shop. i will be doing auto body mostly on my cars, friends cars, and my bosses many mopars. then next fall i will be moving to york nebraska as my long time girlfriend attends the christian university there. while there i hope to get a real job and restore a 71 or so scamp or a 68 dart.
thank you all for your friendship and knowledge,
tyler

lol thanks man. do you have one on here? i like readin stories lol they just get intimidating lol

yep. mines in the first or second page, you won't get intimidated by mine, it kinda sucks, all i see is project cars, and i got none!

i like yours man. short sweet and to the point lol. to bad you are not closer down here there are quite a few good prices a-bodies.

My mopar addiction started (realized) my senior year in hight school well actually before that as our house always looked like the Dodge dealer when we had family get togethers. Anyway I was helping buddy find a dodge charger so that he could restore it. Well i found the car for him and we went to pick it up. As we were leaving the seller came out and gave us two boxes worth of 318 parts and a 78 318 block. We got the car to my friends house and for helping him he gave me the 318 stuff as there was a 440 sitting in the car already. I took the engine home and to my dads surprise told him i wanted to rebuild it to sell. 2 grand later (the engine was Little worn out) My father and I had a fresh 318 sitting in the garage. And we knew we couldn't sell it for that

I found a 74 Plymouth duster for 500$ on believe it or not My space. I went and looked at the car at night with out a flashlight. It didn't look to bad so i purchased it and tried to drive it home the next week. I say tried because the fuel tank was so rusty it clogged the fuel filter up 3 times before we had to get a tow.

We brought the car into the garage 3 months later and began pulling it apart. It was an absolute mess. The quarter panels, trunk extensions, inner fenders, fenders , and the hood had to be replaced as well as some frame patching. An 8 3/4 form a 66 charger was swapped with the old 7 1/4 and the 198 Ci \6 3 speed was pulled. the car was sent to the body shop for final blocking and painting. After that the 318 and a 4 speed was installed as well as an all re-upholstered interior. After that it has been a great weekend cruiser and a money pit but i love it.

car beginning.jpg

car side.jpg

Those keystone wheels look great on your car with that color combo.

Anyways guys....im sure cudachick would not appreciate this.

as it has been mentioned a few times now, lets try to keep the conversations limited to pm's rather than fill the thread with it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back